• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Your Thoughts on Ti Haiku

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like the first wave of the Haiku is over and the second wave is still available. Can anyone provide a brief review of this gem? I want to pick on up and have been reading pages and pages on it ... including a couple of pages of CPF poems :crackup:. However, I haven't found anything on what people thought about this light. I have the Lunasol 20 for almost a year already and it's such a great light, and I'm wondering whether the Haiku would make a good companion. Let me know your thoughts.

The Coach

Enlightened
I have had mine, from the first run, for almost two weeks now and it has replaced my LS20 (which I loved) as my EDC for the time being. The third level makes a big difference to me. I still prefer the PD over the clicky, but the Haiku is a winner. :D Plus, you can never have too many McGizmos. :devil:

proline

Enlightened
Seems like the first wave of the Haiku is over and the second wave is still available. Can anyone provide a brief review of this gem? I want to pick on up and have been reading pages and pages on it ... including a couple of pages of CPF poems :crackup:. However, I haven't found anything on what people thought about this light. I have the Lunasol 20 for almost a year already and it's such a great light, and I'm wondering whether the Haiku would make a good companion. Let me know your thoughts.

If I had to toss in my .02 cents worth, I would say yes to the companion part for many reasons.

1. They are compatible with each other. When left alone together they talk to each other of their adventures. :eek: One has to be real quiet though when listening in, they talk very softly and in low tones. :sssh:

2. McGizmo lights have a tendency to be limited edition. :thumbsup:

3.The Haiku works well. It seems to me brighter than the LS20 with a larger center beam and at least on mine, leans more toward less blue in the tints. Tricky words eh! :shakehead

4. It handles well and feels lighter although it is slightly longer, about 1/4" if both heads are on tight. About 3/32" when the LS20 head is turned until light is just off. My LS 20 weighs about 3.7oz. The Haiku about 3.5oz. with battery.

5. Different switching. LS20 piston drive with low, high. Haiku McClicky with three speeds to it. No trit in the tail though, rubber button.

Both different but have the feel of McGizmo lights. If you have the bucks, try one. If it doesn't work for you bring it back to McGizmo or bring it here and I'm sure somebody else would like to have it. You can't loose really. Maybe some time and a few bucks shipping. Maybe regrets after you have parted ways with it for some reason... :(

Hope this helps... :D

Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
:lol:

I guess it's time for me to stimulate the economy and pick up a Haiku.

Scottiver

Enlightened
You won't regret it. I've been playing with mine every day since I got it and just love it. It is so easy to use and the beam is a thing of beauty. It has everything I want and nothing I don't. I use all three levels of brightness and they're each very useful in their own way. This is now one of a handful of lights that I will NEVER sell. I hope you get one and love it as much as I do. :twothumbs

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
In my pocket right now. Low is great for walking around the house, medium for most every task, high lights it all up.
Looks great, feels great, works great. Yes, a companion, but maybe a replacement for your LS20.

Eight years of flashoholism, and it all leads up to this.

daloosh

faco

Enlightened
Because I have previously owned an AL PD & a Ti PD-S I had no problem ordering the Haiku in the first wave.

Since I sold the Ti PD-S to fund other lights, I just kept buying one light after the other, none gave me pleasure owning a light as much as the Ti PD-S except for maybe the SF TITAN :D. I decided to just wait for the master to come up with a new light, I wanted something brighter and a PD switch that was a little easier on the thumb, when the master mentioned the upcoming Haiku I kept refreshing the McGizmo sub Forum until the the Haiku first wave thread was posted. I ordered the Haiku instantly.

The 3 levels, the switch, the UI, the clip, the size, the weight, the nice tint, the McGizmo quality, the Tank like construction, the pleasure of owning one, etc, what else can I say ?

If you haven't already ordered one, go ahead, you won't regret it :thumbsup:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had my Haiku for a very short while. I LOVE it. This is my favorite McGizmo! I love the clicky, the beam AND the three light levels; which are all the reasons that makes it the perfect McGizmo for ME. It is a McGizmo, so the build quality is perfect.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
:devil: I just pulled the trigger and orderd one from Don. Now the wait :candle:

brucec

Enlightened
I'm relatively new to McGizmo's lights, but my observations on the Haiku compared to some of his other lights are as follows:

vs. Ti PD-S
I'd says throw is about the same, but the Haiku has a broader beam. The Haiku is definitely brighter. I think PrecisionWorks measured the output to be about 180 vs 120. My particular Ti PD-S has a warmer tint (vanilla cream?) in the center, but cooler on the spill. The PD-S also has a very slightly smoother beam (it's hard to improve on perfection). The Haiku's beam is smooth and even throughout and is very neutral in tint. I would say I get better contrast and definition with the PD-S. The low on the PD-S is just marginally useful, but all three levels of the Haiku are well spaced, although I would have preferred the medium to be around 65lumens instead of 35. And of course, PD vs McClickie. I personally like the PD, but the McClickie is soooo easy to use. My wife cannot operate the PD due to strength and also she gets confused about the twist head for constant on vs push tail for momentary. No confusion with the McClickie.

vs. LS20
Low on the LS20 is cooler in tint, but more useful due to the flood. This is very obvious when in comparison to the PD-S, and not as obvious when compared to the Haiku due to the wider hotspot. Still, the LS20 has the edge on low. High on the LS20 is great with the tight bright hotspot and very smooth beam, but still on the cool side. The Osram is still smoother than the Cree in the Haiku. The Haiku has just the faintest inkling of the Cree ring, perhaps best described as a Cree shadow. Hard to notice except on a white wall, and even then, I had to take a few minutes to convince myself it was there. On high, the Haiku blows the LS20 out of the water, hands down.

vs. High CRI AMC Mule
What can I say? The Nichia has a great tint and CRI, but it is only useful indoors and close range outdoors. I wouldn't go hiking with just the mule. In and around the house, the light weight, compact mule is awesome. The Haiku is too large and heavy for my pj's or shorts. Both have detectable PWM on low and medium, but it's not bad.

Overall, my favorite combo is the Mule + PD-S. For a single do-it-all light, the Haiku is McGizmo's best in my opinion. I would even say it is more useful than the LS20, except for the fact that I personally like the PD. My opinion is that the Haiku is the best general use light that everyone can use and like. I can't think of anything that anyone would complain about (other than cost). The 3 levels are well spaced, beam is smooth, good balance of throw and spill, tint is neutral, not too big or small, McClickie is smooth and easy to use, and the machining is flawlessly executed. Just my thoughts.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bruce,

Thanks for the very detailed comparison. This is exactly what I was looking for.

As much as I tried convincing myself that I don't need another McGizmo light aside his LS20, I was caught at a week moment and ordered one.

Noticed my updated signature? :grin2: Okay, I cheated because I only received a notification from Don that the light is going to be shipped out and I don't physically have it yet.

I'm relatively new to McGizmo's lights, but my observations on the Haiku compared to some of his other lights are as follows:

vs. Ti PD-S
I'd says throw is about the same, but the Haiku has a broader beam. The Haiku is definitely brighter. I think PrecisionWorks measured the output to be about 180 vs 120. My particular Ti PD-S has a warmer tint (vanilla cream?) in the center, but cooler on the spill. The PD-S also has a very slightly smoother beam (it's hard to improve on perfection). The Haiku's beam is smooth and even throughout and is very neutral in tint. I would say I get better contrast and definition with the PD-S. The low on the PD-S is just marginally useful, but all three levels of the Haiku are well spaced, although I would have preferred the medium to be around 65lumens instead of 35. And of course, PD vs McClickie. I personally like the PD, but the McClickie is soooo easy to use. My wife cannot operate the PD due to strength and also she gets confused about the twist head for constant on vs push tail for momentary. No confusion with the McClickie.

vs. LS20
Low on the LS20 is cooler in tint, but more useful due to the flood. This is very obvious when in comparison to the PD-S, and not as obvious when compared to the Haiku due to the wider hotspot. Still, the LS20 has the edge on low. High on the LS20 is great with the tight bright hotspot and very smooth beam, but still on the cool side. The Osram is still smoother than the Cree in the Haiku. The Haiku has just the faintest inkling of the Cree ring, perhaps best described as a Cree shadow. Hard to notice except on a white wall, and even then, I had to take a few minutes to convince myself it was there. On high, the Haiku blows the LS20 out of the water, hands down.

vs. High CRI AMC Mule
What can I say? The Nichia has a great tint and CRI, but it is only useful indoors and close range outdoors. I wouldn't go hiking with just the mule. In and around the house, the light weight, compact mule is awesome. The Haiku is too large and heavy for my pj's or shorts. Both have detectable PWM on low and medium, but it's not bad.

Overall, my favorite combo is the Mule + PD-S. For a single do-it-all light, the Haiku is McGizmo's best in my opinion. I would even say it is more useful than the LS20, except for the fact that I personally like the PD. My opinion is that the Haiku is the best general use light that everyone can use and like. I can't think of anything that anyone would complain about (other than cost). The 3 levels are well spaced, beam is smooth, good balance of throw and spill, tint is neutral, not too big or small, McClickie is smooth and easy to use, and the machining is flawlessly executed. Just my thoughts.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
xcel730,

The LS20 and the Haiku are a great compliment. For me, the LS20 will pull the majority of the duty due to its great feature set. However, if I need the extra punch, and I know ahead of time, I wouldn't hesitate to park the LS20 and grab the Haiku.

brucec

Enlightened
Bruce,

Thanks for the very detailed comparison. This is exactly what I was looking for.

As much as I tried convincing myself that I don't need another McGizmo light aside his LS20, I was caught at a week moment and ordered one.

Noticed my updated signature? :grin2: Okay, I cheated because I only received a notification from Don that the light is going to be shipped out and I don't physically have it yet.

:laughing: In the meantime, you can close your eyes and hold your LS20 all the while thinking happy Haiku thoughts.

Perhaps the best way to put it is, if I could only have one McGizmo, I would still pick the LS20 because I love the PD and a Haiku PD does not exist (yet???). :poke: I'm also a scalloped flutes vs ribs guy. But the PD is not for everybody, so if I were to choose only one McGizmo for mass appeal, it would be the Haiku because of the McClickie and well spaced 3 levels. In fact, js might want to revisit the LS20 Ultimate EDC review in light of the Haiku. I'm not necessarily saying that the Haiku knocks the LS20 off the throne, but it's certainly close in my mind.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
My LS20 today has been trembling, fearing that it will be replaced :huh:.

Regardless of how nice the Haiku is, I doubt it'll be able to completely dethrone my LS20 ... I still love it a lot.

pianoman

Enlightened
Each reflector/optic; converter/led combination has its unique attributes that have advantages and disadvantages in a variety of different lighting needed circumstances......

paulr

Flashaholic
I thought that the Haiku was a narrowbeam reflectorized light, i.e. a 3-level electronically switched follow-on to the PD-S and not a replacement for the LS20, whose defining characteristic is a wide-angle low beam and narrow-angle high. In that sense, the Haiku isn't really in the same design space as the LS20. As a primarily short-distance (indoor) user, I'm more into flood beams than throw beams, so I tend to be more interested in the Mule and LS series than the longer-throw models. So I still EDC a Sundrop and an LS20 is on my shopping list, but a Haiku would be sometime after that. Of course what I really want is enough funds to buy 'em all right away... :D

Scottiver

Enlightened
Paul, the Haiku isn't really what I would call a narrow beamed thrower. It does throw pretty good, but it has a very wide beam that pretty much lights up everything in it's path. :eek: