Oracle 35W HID

lapsmith

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know anything about this 35W HID light? Is the price a mistake? I've been thinking about getting the 24W version.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richie086

Enlightened
I don't know. I thought it's $329.00 for the 15" 35w and about $400.00 for the 14" 35w.

I'd contact them first but it's listed as "GB deposit". Perhaps it means if you are going to do a "Group Buy" It's the deposit required to place the order??

I'd contact Justin and ask him.

Richie086

Enlightened
Does anyone know anything about this 35W HID light? Is the price a mistake? I've been thinking about getting the 24W version.

Hi Tom,

I asked Justin from Advanced Automotive Concepts if I could borrow one of his 35w HID's until I can get my 24w repaired from him. Incredibly he sent me a brand new 35W 3 days later without asking for any type of security deposit from me. I wonder if I can get my hands on a new Corvette fully loaded just by asking my local Chevrolet dealer for one :confused: Nice of him to go the extra mile for a customer like that.

It's about the same size as my AEX-25 with the 4800mAh battery installed but with a larger head and larger orange peel reflector. Since I'm used to the size of the AEX25 , the size of the Oracle 35w didn't faze me at all.

The Oracle 35w incorporates a multi-mode battery system giving it the ability to operate on high power (100%) and low power (70%). On high power, the tail cap On/Off switch will illuminate in a "blue" color. On low power mode it illuminates in "Green" Only the perimeter of the switch will illuminate. I'd estimate the output is 2700 lm on high and 1900 lm on the lower power setting. The lumens are my estimate but I'm sure they're close to reality. If a 4200k bulb was used, the lumens would be much higher and likely 3000+ lm on the high setting.

The color temp of the example I have here is 5000k-6000k. I compared a beam shot to my POB 4300k and the color temp is cooler than 4300k, but I'd have to say it's no way higher than 6000k.. From what I know about this light, it may be available from the factory in 4200K, 5000K, 8000K, 10000K color temps. So my initial estimate of 5000k+ seems correct.

During my initial examination and run test on the high setting, it's AC ballast performed like a champ.

002.jpg

The 35W arrived in the same type aluminum, Oracle badged case as
the 24w version only larger in size. It also had "Oracle" badging neatly
stamped on the flashlight grip.

003.jpg

The interior of the case held the AC/DC chargers,
12 volt 4000mAh or 4400mAh Li-ion battery pack (not sure which),
Oracle badged carry strap, and a 3000k slip on lens for foggy nights.

004.jpg

A size comparison from top to bottom: AE Xenide 25W, Oracle 35W,
and the Oracle 24w. NOTE: 24w lanyard is my brain-child and not
available through retailers.

007.jpg

Oracle 35w on the left, AEX-25 on the right. It also Incorporates an
adjustable spot-to-flood beam with a twist of the head.

009.jpg

The end caps are clear acylic at both ends of the Li-Ion
battery. Shown with backup LED's illuminated.

010.jpg

I decided to show the power setting LED lights out of the
flashlight for ease of viewing. The "blue" setting shown
would be 100% brightness. Runtime yields 75 minutes+
on high.

011.jpg

Pressing the On/Off switch a second time switches to
power saving "Green" reducing output down to 70% of
maximum for longer 90 minute runtimes.

012.jpg

A shot of the charger input and the clear acrylic
end cap.

013.jpg

Just a photo what it looks like in the hand.

O35wAE25.jpg

Oracle 35w left, AEX-25 Right. Not a very useful photo at 10 yards
bounced off the white vinyl siding. I'll get better photos posted soon.

However, this photo is a good example of the adjustable flood-to-spot
beam the OP reflector produces. The Oracle is adjusted to the tightest
spot beam it can make.

The following photos were taken with my Cannon PowerShot SX 110-IS digital
camera on a tripod and set at F/2.8. The photos were cropped for size only
and using PhotoShop 7.0. No adjustments for color or anything else have been
done to them.

oracle35w.jpg

Oracle 35W shot from my back yard and adjusted for "spot" beam. The "blue" colored
ring is the electronic On/Off switch on the tail cap illuminated showing the output is
set to 100%. The low setting of 70% would illuminate in "green". The spill from
the reflector illuminate the hibernating grass exactly as the human eye will see it.

aex25w-1.jpg

The AE Xenide 25w beam comparision. Did I mention the AEX-25 is one awesome
thrower :thumbsup: Talk about a tight beam.

pob-1.jpg

This is my current "Big Boy" of my growing HID flashlight/spotlight collection. My
Power On Board modified with a 50w 4300k bulb and high power AGM battery with
digital battery meter and rear mounted illuminated paddle On/Off switch.

NOTE TO NEWBIES: Bulb is 50w but powered by the stock POB ballast rated at
about 43 watts. Please don't think just because a 50w bulb is used the output
is 50w. Output is the same whether modifying with a 35w 4300k or a 50w 4300k.
Add a 50w ballast if you can find one that fits, then the 50w bulb will put out the
additional lumens :thumbsup:

Hopefully one day this photo will be of a Polarion PH-50 :D

Conclusion: After using this flashlight the last several nights, it was a no-brainer for me
I'd like to own one for myself. It's just a little heavier than the AEX-25 and loads lighter
than my POB. The rear On/Off switch is of the electronic variety, so it requires very
little (to little) pressure to activate the flashlight which could cause unintentional activation,
so some caution is advised.

It does come with a security tail cap that can be placed over the rear switch when traveling with
it in the case to prevent accidental activation. It should also be noted this flashlight excels in the "ceiling bounce" room illumination department when required to tail-stand.

I've been wanting a good tube-style HID flashlight like this in a silver color. Perhaps when I return
this one to Justin, I'll see if it's available in silver and 4200k.

Last edited:

Richie086

Enlightened

Yep, the 24w and 35w is sold under 5 or 6 different names over the internet.

I'm glad I was lucky to have had the opportunity to test a demo unit and put it through the paces. I dare say this 35w could even be used in Law Enforcement too. It's the fastest starting HID I've ever used with it's instant on feature of about 1 second of bright useable light and less than 8 seconds to full brightness. It hot re-strikes perfectly too. I'd be interested to know how the ballast used in the flashlight allows such a fast startup.

It achieves full brightness twice as fast as my AE Xenide 25w or Power On Board 35w. These electronic AC type ballasts coupled with a fully charged Li-ion 12.6 volt battery really do an incredible job. I'm going to try to get a silver one for myself.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Richie, the start up time sound's really impressive for this light. My AE lights take a good 20-25 seconds so cutting that time is half is pretty remarkable. It seems that slow start-up times are common with most HID available to these days, including the new L35. Having a feature that differentiates itself from other like types is interesting and the warmer temp is a bonus too. I only wish it was shorter but there's no way around that without losing output or run-time. Thanks for your thoughts on it.

Richie086

Enlightened
Richie, the start up time sound's really impressive for this light. My AE lights take a good 20-25 seconds so cutting that time is half is pretty remarkable.

This second video is a little better than the previous one. It shows the start up time of the AE Xenide 25W and Power On Board 35w w/ 50W 4300k bulb modification. Performing these tests live with the human eye, the Oracle started quicker than the AEX-25, but it appeared to be a tie between the Oracle and POB. But after viewing the video, it was clear the camcorder was able to cut through all the blinding glare and showed the Oracle beat the POB as well. This was really a surprise since my POB's have special high power AGM batteries installed, which I thought would have given it a big start-up advantage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnnvPz6oVFI

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I watched the video and it appeared that the 35W took a minimum of 20 seconds to stabilize...36-56 seconds into the vid. Still, it was faster than the AE but it is a 35W light after all so I guess that's to be expected. It would be interesting to see it compared to other 35 watters I suppose.

I was thinking that the test might be even better in a brightly lit room. That would close down the aperture in the camera so that some detail could still be seen in the beams.

Thanks Richie :)

Richie086

Enlightened
I watched the video and it appeared that the 35W took a minimum of 20 seconds to stabilize...36-56 seconds into the vid.

Hi Patriot,

I deleted the first video and updated the link showing the second video in my #8 post above. I also included one of my modified Power On Board spotlights with the 50w 4300k bulb and high power AGM battery. Amazing what a difference the POB's larger and smooth reflector makes on the wall test.

Yes, you're correct. The camcorder can really see more detail than my eyes were able to differentiate. When I shot the video, I couldn't tell the Oracle was still stabilizing. So my initial opinion my not count as much seeing what the camcorder lens was able to determine. Still, the POB's outer perimeter of the hot-spot took a while to turn from cool to warm, so the Oracle still beat it out.

I don't know what all this means or what use it is, but I still had fun doing all of this. I think what it comes down to is that I was simply caught off guard using an HID flashlight that has almost instantaneous useable light at the touch of the button.

The AEX-25 is a wonderful and super high quality product and well respected here on the CPF, and why I'm always putting other HID's up against it. I also think the POB is understated as well. I really need to try a Li-Ion modification to my second one.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Great updated video Richie. You're the man! It's hard to tell when the POB settles in but it's pretty clear with the Oracle. I counted 23 seconds or so. The POB's spot is so tight that you can't see the corona fill in like you can with the other.

For some reason I always forget to give it credit for being a two stage light. Besides its length it doesn't really seem to have any objectionable points. For many, even the size isn't an issue.

Richie086

Enlightened
Hi folks,

If any CPF member wishes to purchase the new 35w 4200k HID flashlight at a reduced price, please contact Justin from Advanced Automotive Concepts directly. Thanks.

Last edited:

SwatDude

Newly Enlightened
Man that is tempting!!! How does the beam compare to the L35 I just bought?? I like the rugged metal look of this light and the runtime doesn't seem that far off.

Richie086

Enlightened
Man that is tempting!!! How does the beam compare to the L35 I just bought?? I like the rugged metal look of this light and the runtime doesn't seem that far off.

Hi there Swat,

The demo unit I had, which I just returned, was a good all-around light. Remember, like it's 24w little brother, the 35w has a semi-OP reflector with an adjustable beam and can be seen in the photos above. I'd have to say the L35 would likely beat it in the throw department, but the overall light output was great. I didn't mind this because early on purchasing LED or HID flashlights, I began to realize everything I was purchasing was for all out throw. So it's nice to have something that can be used for most situations and not strickly for one purpose. Also, the lower power setting is barely noticable to the eye, but it certainly yielded a longer runtime, which again was a plus. With it's 1 year warranty and a dealer that obviously stands by their product, I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal, IMHO.

Yesterday I purchased that newer 4200k version in aluminum. As soon as I get it, I'll try to get some beam comparisons between my POP 4300k and the Oracle 35w side by side. Hope this helps.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know. I thought it's $329.00 for the 15" 35w and about $400.00 for the 14" 35w.

I'd contact them first but it's listed as "GB deposit". Perhaps it means if you are going to do a "Group Buy" It's the deposit required to place the order??

I'd contact Justin and ask him.

The only problem with that theory is that the GB prices they quote are higher than the regular price http://automotivelightstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=411
Maybe the prices have dropped?

.. Does anyone know if you have to pull the battery out to charge it?
GROUP BUY DEAL:
1 - 9 Sign Up= $349
10-25 Sign Up= $325
25+ Sign Up= $299

GROUP BUY DEAL:
1 - 9 Sign Up= $349
10-25 Sign Up= $325
25+ Sign Up= $299

GROUP BUY DEAL:
1 - 9 Sign Up= $349
10-25 Sign Up= $325
25+ Sign Up= $299

Richie086

Enlightened
Hi there Wind,

The "GB" pricing is no doubt a public link and NOT special pricing that has been given to the CPF. The webpage showing the price of $219.00 for CPF members was just created several days ago for us.

Yes, the rear cap has to be unscrewed and the Li-ion battery removed to charge it.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there Wind,

The "GB" pricing is no doubt a public link and NOT special pricing that has been given to the CPF. The webpage showing the price of $219.00 for CPF members was just created several days ago for us.

Yes, the rear cap has to be unscrewed and the Li-ion battery removed to charge it.

Thanks Richie... I have the Barnburner and just bought the L35 "don't even have it fully charged yet".....

So far, I don't see any negatives by those who have purchased it... I'm considering buying just because this would be a nice light to tuck away in a confined space......

Too bad about the charging... that does make things a tad more tedious for real use as I like to use a good light in my boat and rarely need it but for short uses and would like to be able to charge in between times conveniently.

Last edited:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I talked with Justin "very nice guy".. the GB is no longer active and outdated.
The 219.00 is for CPF members for the 35W version.

Last edited: