Tire Changing/Map Reading? (petzl E+lite type)

flasherByNight

Enlightened
Hey,
I'm looking for some suggestions on a small/lightweight headlamp for close quarters useage...possibly even something that in a pinch could be used for walking thru the woods (running/biking @night).

Long runtime, resistance to cold and ability to store for long periods are all key (required).

Additional bonus features would be:
Strobe
Red Light
Easily purchased batteries (ie gas station)
Weather resistant

I don't need something with alot of throw, brightness/lumens, quality/color of light etc...just something to see by.

Definitely going for best bang for the buck.
Thanks

steveG

Enlightened
http://www.zebralight.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=186

The Zebralight fits the bill perfectly. I think it's going to be tough to beat for close-quarters work. I have an automotive project I work on at night in a poorly lit shop. My H30-Q5 makes it so I don't need a shop light, flashlight, etc. I now can't stand working without it... it is now my most-used tool.

In truly dark situations the low setting is more than enough light to work with and the 3.5 day runtime ensures low battery expenses! The medium and high setting are sufficient for running. Depending on how dark it is it could probably get the job done for biking as well, but wouldn't be ideal.

flasherByNight

Enlightened
hmm, interesting light...the "extra features" while nice...seem a bit overkill/unnecessary seeing as I don't think I'd ever use them. I wonder if I'd be better served by a simpler (less likely to go wrong? headlight *ie KISS ;)

*more reading! :)

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can find an old one in good condition, might I suggest the Princeton tec Aurora? I have one, and wish I had two. It only uses alkalines, but I've never had any problems with it in about 4 years of spring/summer/fall/winter (below 0*, w/windchill). I like it because it is relatively light weight, compact, rain/moisture resistant, and has an almost perfect mix of flood/throw (for my needs, at least). It also has a nice high, and a "warm" er tint of LED.
If you cant find an Aurora, the updated Fuel is nice too, although it doesn't seem to throw as much (altho I have an early gen model). Both of these headlamps run on 3xAAA, and have great (tho unregulated) runtimes.
Just my HO.

Snow

Enlightened
The e+lite is SO small and lightweight. Great light for the money IMO. The Ritter one looks big to me. I hate stuff on my head and the e+lite is barely there.

nzbazza

Enlightened
Hey,
I'm looking for some suggestions on a small/lightweight headlamp for close quarters useage...possibly even something that in a pinch could be used for walking thru the woods (running/biking @night).

Long runtime, resistance to cold and ability to store for long periods are all key (required).

Additional bonus features would be:
Strobe
Red Light
Easily purchased batteries (ie gas station)
Weather resistant

I don't need something with alot of throw, brightness/lumens, quality/color of light etc...just something to see by.

Definitely going for best bang for the buck.
Thanks

IMO the closed match to the requirements listed above is the Princeton Tec Eos - 50lm version using a Rebel LED powered initially by 3AAA lithium batteries.

AAA batteries can be found virtually anywhere, lithiums provide long runtime, long term storage (~10 yrs) and cold resistance. The Eos can use alks, nimh rechargeables as well.

3 levels plus strobe mode, Hi 50lm/1 hr, med 18lm/15 hr, lo 5lm/50 hr on alks. Hi is very bright for long distance spotting, med is useful for walking at night or task lighting, low is also very useful for task lighting, map reading etc.

The beam tint is a nice warm white, and the beam is a smooth medium flood with some throw.

The Eos is able to be submerged in water. The only thing on the list the Eos can't do is the red light.

Available for $32 online.

Sorry I sound like a fanboy for the EOS but this H/L has totally changed my expectations of mainstream headlamps. Mine has been used extensively for the past 4 months camping and hiking and it has been fantastic.