Default Re: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

Hey Don,

I am so in on this light I cant wait until Sunday

Looks & sounds Great! Thanks Don
    ~George

Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there <><

Hi guys,
    for those of you who may not have caught it, HERE's Peter's thread on this light. He is offering some options that I am not and I suggest those of you who may be interested, get a handle on what will be available. I also suggest that any technical questions on the driver be directed to Peter since he is the expert on it.

A point of clarification on the O-rings: The red O-ring that seals between the head and battery tube is silicone and the same size as used on the Arc AAA. the other O-rings are EPDM.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

I'm guilty, I have been asking for and wanting a Ti AAA light from Don or Peter for many years. Its now available

I worked overtime today (I'm able to fund the light) and have a day off on Monday (lucky me) Around 7-8am Monday morning I will be glued to the refresh button......

You guys could also pre-order one from Arc's page: http://www.arcflashlight.com/accessories.shtml#22 if you happen to miss the wave.

I found the info on the Arc site.

The driver is not compatible with rechargeable li-ions and 1.5 V batteries are recommended. You can use 1.7 V primary lithiums, but you will overdrive the LED to an even greater extent.
    Have a tritium vial to install? See my sales thread for Norland 61 optical adhesive.

Looks easy to toss in the LED of you choice actually.

150 eh'? Sounds good to me.

Oh man, I think I'm gonna be sick! I have to take my wife out of town this weekend and she'll kill me if I'm in front of my computer while on vacation! Oh well, this light is more important.

Quote Originally Posted by marcar View Post
    Very classy looking light. Another light to look forward to.

With the price of just $150 and many commenting on wanting several, it may be fair to offer one per customer. This will allow more people the chance to land one, from this limited wave run.
    +1 on both points!

Please limit these to one per customer, at least for a full day so that those of us who will be working at time of release will have at least a chance.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

I believe two are needed - one for me and one for the wife.

Great style.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico801 View Post
    Oh man, I think I'm gonna be sick! I have to take my wife out of town this weekend and she'll kill me if I'm in front of my computer while on vacation! Oh well, this light is more important.

Rico, don't forget that old saying, "Death before dishonor or missing a McGizmo".

I just made that up, but I am old (and I crack myself up).

Quote Originally Posted by The Coach View Post
    Rico, don't forget that old saying, "Death before dishonor or missing a McGizmo".

I just made that up, but I am old (and I crack myself up).
    You're right on there! There is always another vacation and always another wife, but who am I kidding there will always be "something" to get.

Has anyone tried one of these titanium split rings? --> http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0017232316517a.shtml

Dan Fo,
    Those split rings look very interesting! I just ordered a couple sizes to check them out. I have a strong suspicion that they may be NITINOL in which case they will have excellent memory! I would love to find a company who could make me some split rings in NITINOL but the process is not trivial. If they are NITINOL, it may be that in very cold conditions, the split ring is relatively easy to deform but will snap back to shape when it warms up.

Again, I am just guessing on the actual metal but these could be pretty cool and have the added feature of being considered a "break away" link or safety "fuse" in the system.

Thanks for the link!

EDIT: On further investigation, these are NITINOL! Cool!
    Last edited by McGizmo; 03-07-2009 at 11:19 AM.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Quote Originally Posted by Rico801 View Post
    You're right on there! There is always another vacation and always another wife, but who am I kidding there will always be "something" to get.

That's why they make caskets so big, you can take it with you.

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    Dan Fo,
    Those split rings look very interesting! I just ordered a couple sizes to check them out. I have a strong suspicion that they may be NITINOL in which case they will have excellent memory! I would love to find a company who could make me some split rings in NITINOL but the process is not trivial. If they are NITINOL, it may be that in very cold conditions, the split ring is relatively easy to deform but will snap back to shape when it warms up.

Again, I am just guessing on the actual metal but these could be pretty cool and have the added feature of being considered a "break away" link or safety "fuse" in the system.

Thanks for the link!

EDIT: On further investigation, these are NITINOL! Cool!
    Yes, they are NiTi. They are meant to operate in water so I don't think there will be any problem as some northern fishing waters get down to almost freezing. The 30 Lb one should hold a flashlight pretty well.

That looks great!! I would sooooo buy one of those!!
    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Dan,
    It all depends on where the transition temp is on the metal. Those might be less than ideal for ice fishing!

In more temperate waters, there would be no problem. The surf has dropped over here now and the winds have backed off so our waters are coming around to being more inviting. I visited my favorite reef today and came across Little T. First time I have seen him in months. I showed him the Sapphire:

I thought I had him but he backed off and says he will wait for a headlamp with remote bite switch. (his PayPal account is at low tide right now anyway)

Grinser2 Re: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

Dan,
    It all depends on where the transition temp is on the metal. Those might be less than ideal for ice fishing!

In more temperate waters, there would be no problem. The surf has dropped over here now and the winds have backed off so our waters are coming around to being more inviting. I visited my favorite reef today and came across Little T. First time I have seen him in months. I showed him the Sapphire:

I thought I had him but he backed off and says he will wait for a headlamp with remote bite switch. (his PayPal account is at low tide right now anyway)
    He is almost as splendid as the Sapphire. Breathtaking, each in their own way.

I thought I had him but he backed off and says he will wait for a headlamp with remote bite switch.
    When will those be coming out? Make sure and give us plenty of advance notice of your headlamp wave!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Talking Re: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

I got my order in!! Wahooooooooo.
    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Quote Originally Posted by TKC View Post
    I got my order in!! Wahooooooooo.
    where????? how????? help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

TKC must mean one of Arc's versions, since Don hasn't opened his thread yet.
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

thnx codeman!!!
    i was going nuts trying to figure out where he ordered.
    i wanted don's unless there is no difference buying the Arc unit, whereupon i suspect the Arc two-engine Kit is a nice deal.
    thoughts?
    Last edited by coyote; 03-08-2009 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coyote View Post
    thnx codeman!!!
    i was going nuts trying to figure out where he ordered.
    i wanted don's unless there is no difference buying the Arc unit, whereupon i suspect the Arc two-engine Kit is a nice deal.
    thoughts?
    From what I can gather the Arc kit has the LE that Don is using and the GS LE as well. If I am wrong someone please correct me. $15 for a spare LE sounds like a good deal

There are other small differences documented either earlier in this thread or Arc's thread.
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

Quote Originally Posted by olrac View Post
    From what I can gather the Arc kit has the LE that Don is using and the GS LE as well. If I am wrong someone please correct me. $15 for a spare LE sounds like a good deal
    true olrac.

in post #1 i see that don is more concerned about the ground path and has made changes in attempt to correct any possible problems. anything else?

and of course there is always the simple joy in knowing its made by don himself!
    Last edited by coyote; 03-08-2009 at 11:00 AM.

some differences:

Don uses the DS led while Arc uses both DS and GS

Don solders his LE in, so modding would be difficult.

Other than that, they're essentially the same. Only 125 units altogther.

Don uses a lower solder blob so that more threads are engaged, but doesn't include a split ring. Don also includes the foam ring, but it isn't installed. Arc includes a split ring and the foam ring is installed.
    Ray

thanks for the additional input guys.

knowing that and preferring the DS LED anyway, i will sit here eagerly awaiting don's offering.