Battery Junction - Olight
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

Default Re: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    OK Coyote:
    The Wave notification thread gives us roughly a day's notice before Don posts a Wave .... you send an email to Don...
    oh carrot, thanks so much for that.

if i have this right now, it's not about getting a subscription to the a thread, but instead once it's been posted on the "Wave Notification Thread" (and/or Sales thread?), we're suppose to email the seller and get on their personal mailing list to be notified when the items are actually available. where will don post that Wave after he already gave Wave Notification on that thread? (sorry to be so thick)
    Last edited by coyote; 03-08-2009 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coyote View Post
    we're suppose to email the seller and get on their personal mailing list to be notified when the items are actually available. correct?
    No, by subscribing to the notification thread you're being given essentially a day's notice, but that's all you get. It's then up to you to be at the right place at the right time to catch the completely new thread, AFTER which you email Don.

There's also some type of RSS feed thing where you get updated to any new activity within the McGizmo sub-forum, but I'm not entirely sure how that works and to my knowledge it's not a feature of CPF, nor is it something that Don's involved with.

Email McGizmo as soon as you see the sales thread posted. Email too early (before its posted) or too late (way after) and you lose.

Details can be found within the sales thread itself (when it gets posted) or elsewhere in the forum.
    Last edited by carrot; 03-08-2009 at 05:18 PM.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

No.

Once McGizmo posts the sales thread, then you need to go to the ordering info thread and follow the instructions.

We do, however, need to quit polluting this thread with off-topic content. If you have more questions, please put them into a new thread so that this one can return to the light itself.
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

hey codeman, i don't mean to continue this but its as clear as mud. no one seems to be able to explain how this all works. and i would think that's on-topic.

best i can tell at this point is that we should all now watching for a brand-new sales thread over in McGizmo's forum. correct?

if so, i have no need to ask anything else here. thank you.

[edit: "This thread is suppose to be about the Sapphire, not how to go about getting one. Don's already posted all of that info in the sticky threads."
    ray, i just re-read those McGizmo stickies for the ump-tenth time and no, they don't post that info that that i can find. feel free to PM me with those exact passages and i'll personally apologies for polluting your thread

and orlac, i read that "HOW TO ORDER" info and emailed don already earlier today and don politely said in part: "...the order request is to come after I have "launched" the wave...' but didn't indicate what that meant or where it was to happen or when/if i was suppose to re-email him. that is why i remain confused

i will continue to speak here if necessary with all you helpful folks so as not to pi**-off Codeman again.

thank you all]
    Last edited by coyote; 03-08-2009 at 05:45 PM.

This thread is suppose to be about the Sapphire, not how to go about getting one. Don's already posted all of that info in the sticky threads.
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

This should answer Coyote questions and keep him, Codeman and Carrot happy once again.

"How to order: Please send me an E-mail with the description of the desired light in the subject line. In the body of the E-mail please provide your real name and physical mailing address. I would also appreciate your CPF handle if you have one. If we end up exchanging additional e-mails on the light, please keep the thread comprehensive with all of the previous correspondences. I only keep the latest E-mail from you; all others are deleted. When I have completed the light, I will get it in the mail as soon as possible and when I generate the postage on my computer, you will be sent a notice of shipment generated by the postage software. At this point, I would appreciate payment by PayPal to the E-mail address you have been using to contact me:
    dmcleish@pacbell.net

Please don't order a light if you don't have the means of making payment in a timely fashion."

And now back to our show already in progress.............

Quote Originally Posted by olrac View Post

And now back to our show already in progress.............

.... and that's when I used my Sapphire AAA to prove that the butler did it. Glad that mystery is solved.
    The LED ... making up for the fact that titanium doesn't glow inherently

Coyote,

E-mail sent...good luck!

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
    .... and that's when I used my Sapphire AAA to prove that the butler did it. Glad that mystery is solved.
    Dear iconoclast, I hate to contradict but my LunaSol clearly indicates that the culprit indeed was the gardener. Same procedure as.....
    Post Tenebras Lux

I just realized that, with the Sapphire's 8 flutes, it's going to be a stylish companion for the Ti-PD-S. My Haiku unseated my Ti-PD-S for EDC, but the Sapphire's going to breathe new life into the PD on those days when I want that coordinated look!
    Ray

I'm all about the twisty action and I will be glad to have another gorgeous light to accompany my PD-S. A great companion to the PD FAITHFUL!

hey codeman, i don't mean to continue this but its as clear as mud. no one seems to be able to explain how this all works. and i would think that's on-topic.

best i can tell at this point is that we should all now watching for a brand-new sales thread over in McGizmo's forum. correct?
    I agree, if you are new to the sub-forum, it can be confusing at first.

Yes, this is correct. When Don is ready, he will start a new thread in the McGizmo sub-forum. The thread title will have the name of the light being offered and the word wave in the title. When that new sales thread is posted, the wave is considered launched, and that is when you send your e-mail to Don. You can also post in the very same sales thread that you sent an e-mail, but that is not required. Remember to include all the details that Don requires in the e-mail. See Olrac's post above for that info.

The wave notification thread is just a warning that a new sales thread will be opened sometime in the near future.

I hope that makes it more clear.
    Last edited by RocketTomato; 03-08-2009 at 05:58 PM.
    Have a tritium vial to install? See my sales thread for Norland 61 optical adhesive.

I hadn't noticed the coordination aspect. That almost makes you feel sorry for those poor unfortunate souls who only managed to get six flutes on their Ti-PD-S. Fortunately I have the properly matched eight flutes on mine.

And I still can't believe the gardener would've resorted to using that... that thing we found with the HA-III all over it.
    With all the night gardening he did, he always kept a sun-drop close at hand. It was the only way he could tell that he was feeding the right plants at that time of night.
    And of course the butler was the only one without spare CR123As. He only used alkalines. Surely that's proof enough.

thank you all: RocketTomato, carrot, jeffb, olrac and brighterisbetter !!!!!

i finally GET IT and i'm ready to make this happen.

hope all of you get your Ti Sapphires as you all deserve one.

Quote Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
    I hadn't noticed the coordination aspect. That .
    And of course the butler was the only one without spare CR123As. He only used alkalines. Surely that's proof enough.

Ah, the batteries, I forgot about the batteries. Shame on me, back to Detection 1!

And soon some of us are going back to alkalines (as a last resort AAA Lithiums aren't available).
    Post Tenebras Lux

thank you all: RocketTomato, carrot, jeffb, olrac and brighterisbetter !!!!!

i finally GET IT and i'm ready to make this happen.

hope all of you get your Ti Sapphires as you all deserve one.
    Well I've convinced myself it's OK if I miss out seeing as there's a couple other things that got pushed out of the way by the Ti Sapphire announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by herrgurka View Post

And soon some of us are going back to alkalines (as a last resort AAA Lithiums aren't available).
    ... yes, I do believe that this will be the first McGizmo that I didn't already have batteries for. I may have actually go out and buy some of those skinny low-voltage cells that they sell at normal places. unless I can dig up some sort of step-down circuit small enough to fit into that battery tube along with a 10180...

Come on don.........I'm wearing the paint off my refresh key
    Sometimes, when I'm feeling down because nothing seems to be going right, I like to take a home pregnancy test. Then I can say, "Hey, at least I'm not pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    Me too

my wife now calls this my "ten-second click"

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    Oh, so you have a special key for refreshing? Where can I order one of those,seems to be lacking on my keyboard?
    Post Tenebras Lux

Quote Originally Posted by RocketTomato View Post
    I found the info on the Arc site.

The driver is not compatible with rechargeable li-ions and 1.5 V batteries are recommended. You can use 1.7 V primary lithiums, but you will overdrive the LED to an even greater extent.
    Why would 1.7v primaries overdrive the LED? The light engine or converter should still deliver the same current and voltage to the LED it just does'nt need to boost quite as much with a 1.7v input as it would with 1.5v or less input.

Quote Originally Posted by Morelite View Post
    Why would 1.7v primaries overdrive the LED? The light engine or converter should still deliver the same current and voltage to the LED it just does'nt need to boost quite as much with a 1.7v input as it would with 1.5v or less input.
    From Arc's website (uses the same LE)

"1.7v, non-rechargeable Lithium AAA cells will work and have been tested in the Arc-AAA. The light will be slightly brighter and the run time will produce a more flat discharge curve. Runtime may actually be less because of the flatter discharge curve. They also work better at sub-freezing temperatures. Other advantages include less weight and less likely to leak than an alkaline. These cells can be 4-5 times the cost of a good alkaline. For most people, they are probably not worth the extra cost."
    Post Tenebras Lux

F.Y.I.

2:00 pm Honolulu time
    Last edited by olrac; 03-08-2009 at 07:02 PM.

On the link that RocketTomato posted, Arc states that use of LiIon in the Arc may cause the LED to burn out and thus void the warranty.
    Ray

Oh, so you have a special key for refreshing? Where can I order one of those,seems to be lacking on my keyboard?
    Hey I've got one of those too!

Quote Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
    On the link that RocketTomato posted, Arc states that use of LiIon in the Arc may cause the LED to burn out and thus void the warranty.
    Yes. But that's more like 3 v or even 3.6 v. 1.7 should be fine!

"Caution: there is a type of AAA lithium cell on the market that is rechargeable and rated at 3.6v (nominal). These cells are not recommended for use in the Arc-AAA as the voltage is too high. Using them would likely burn the LED out and void the warranty."
    Post Tenebras Lux

Quote Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
    The LiIon = 3.7 volts
    The Lithium AAA = 1.7 volts

From Arc's website (uses the same LE)

"1.7v, non-rechargeable Lithium AAA cells will work and have been tested in the Arc-AAA. The light will be slightly brighter and the run time will produce a more flat discharge curve. Runtime may actually be less because of the flatter discharge curve. They also work better at sub-freezing temperatures. Other advantages include less weight and less likely to leak than an alkaline. These cells can be 4-5 times the cost of a good alkaline. For most people, they are probably not worth the extra cost."
    Thanks herrgurka, but I've read that and I'm just wondering why that is.
    Isn't the LE a boost converter with constant current?

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast