Foxfury Rook
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

Enlightened

Default Re: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

Wow - you'd think this was a matter of life or death.

As a barely 'Enlightened' forum member, I'd suggest that with a close read, Don's rules are clear cut and simple enough to follow, although waiting for a wave is akin to surfing on the east coast. Aside from untoward practical jokes that get everyone scrambling to another thread or sending off erroneous emails, why not live with the wave process that everyone is used to by now? To my mind, the simplest solution would be in the future to launch each wave at a reasonably consistent hour, as someone earlier wrote, so we don't waste too many hours in suspense. This would also correct the problem some had with the thread going off-topic although I thought the camaraderie was great.

I wonder how many people were waiting for the notification of the wave yesterday? Whatever the total number, it was truly a testament to McGizmo popularity! In this day of mass produced junk and mindless branding propaganda, Don's lights and the (high-end) flashlight industry championed in this forum as a whole are truly a breath of fresh air. My 2˘ - Sorry for wandering off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by sunsync View Post
    Wow - you'd think this was a matter of life or death. ....
    after 12 hours of nail-biting yesterday, it sure seemed important.

fact is, at this point in time i only own tiny high-end 1xAAA LED 'lights and worse yet, i was recently bit by the titanium bug.

don's Sapphire was a Must-Have and i wasn't going to miss out. but you're right: i got waaaayyyy to serious about it. worse case i've ever had over a flashlight (or anything else that i can think of... hummm...).

but the waiting paid off! its mine mine mine!!!!

Since the mechanics of the wave notification are being discussed here, I will add my present thoughts to them as well.

For the most part, I think the system, as is, is probably as reasonable and equitable as it can be.

Regardless of what system is used, if demand exceeds supply and the demand is strong in nature and desire, there is going to be pressure and disappointment. There is also going to be some motivation to get a jump on the situation.

Identifying a specific "starting time" has been tried a few times in years past and when it was linked to a need to see the offering thread first, the refresh rate on the forum as the time approached caused some problems which was not good for CPF or fair to those who could have cared less about the offering.

None of us need additional pressure or anxiety in our lives and certainly not as it relates to a hobby or interest such as these lights!

First come first serve implies a race unfortunately and competition if there is likely not enough to go around.

I think I will continue with the wave notification as it is but not get specific as to the launch time. (especially if it is during whale season when they take priority over everything, at my end! )

Back to the Sapphire, it is obvious to both Peter and myself that there is additional interest in these lights and it would be foolish to ignore that interest!! I do think it would be wise to wait and see what the consensus is on these lights once they get into users hands and comments and feedback arise.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Enlightened

Coyote: Sure hope you didn't take me as being critical - I was there too for many hours, keeping busy by ripping a couple hundred audio CDs to a hard drive during the wait. I, too, seem to be generally gravitating towards smaller lights; in my case even smaller than the AAA lights, such as those from Lummi, which are works of art. The Raw NS is my EDC. The Sapphire will be my first Ti light, and perhaps I'll be bitten by the same bug as you. Decided against the LunaSol20 in order to wait for one of Don's larger creations later in the year. I hope you enjoy your light, I know I will mine. Still would like to know how many people were hanging on to that thread?

Ahhh, the tension ........ I love it!

Did I get one ......... Nope. Between Don and Peter all 125 were gone in a heartbeat. Did I try to get one ........ Nope.

Why? This idea was a winner from the get go and there will be more waves and runs. I have My share of Don's lights (check my avatar for a few ) and I don't mind letting other people share the joy.

I will get one later on, it's not like I don't have a flashlight.

I am just glad you all will soon be enjoying your new lights. Now go ahead and post some pics when they come rolling in.

don: that all makes sense and works for me. a little more instruction about how the Wave works would help newbies but i leave that to you and i'm proud to be a member of the McG club whatever it takes!

sunsync: never thought you were critical, only honest and insightful. and as excited about it as i was (am). but hell, wasn't it "a matter of life or death"?

you also mentioned: "...Still would like to know how many people were hanging on to that thread?"
    maybe don has an idea of how many total folks tried to sign up for both his and the Arc version. hey don, is that info you can share?
    Last edited by coyote; 03-09-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coyote View Post
    ......."
    maybe don has an idea of how many total folks tried to sign up for both his and the Arc version. hey don, is that info you can share?

I don't have any idea of who contacted Peter or was successful or unsuccessful in getting one of these from the Arc site. I also did not keep track of how many people I sent e-mails to telling them that they missed the wave. There are also a likely number who saw the thread and read that all were gone and did not make their wishes known.

Obviously, there could have been more of these lights in this first offering and they would have been spoken for.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    For the most part, I think the system, as is, is probably as reasonable and equitable as it can be.
    I think I will continue with the wave notification as it is but not get specific as to the launch time. (especially if it is during whale season when they take priority over everything, at my end! )

Back to the Sapphire, it is obvious to both Peter and myself that there is additional interest in these lights and it would be foolish to ignore that interest!! I do think it would be wise to wait and see what the consensus is on these lights once they get into users hands and comments and feedback arise.
    Thanks for keeping the wave notification as is, Don!

I'm looking forward to running the Sapphire through some paces, especially since there's no switch for me to throw a wrench into things with!
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

Thanks again Don for making cool stuff! This thread has gotten lengthy and maybe this question doesn't belong here or maybe it has already been discussed. I apologize if this is a repeat, but I'd like to grab some titanium split rings for the Sapphire and I'm not that familiar with who sells them that supports this forum. Can somebody recommend a good place to purchase them? Berkelypoint?

Don is researching an interesting option right now, I would wait until Don gets these in and reports back on how they work.

I don't have any idea of who contacted Peter or was successful or unsuccessful in getting one of these from the Arc site. I also did not keep track of how many people I sent e-mails to telling them that they missed the wave. There are also a likely number who saw the thread and read that all were gone and did not make their wishes known.

Obviously, there could have been more of these lights in this first offering and they would have been spoken for.
    thnx don. mostly i just wanted numbers to know how lucky we were to snag one and how desirable the Sapphire is. if the rest of these guys are anything like me, we Sapphire owners just want lots of info to allow us to brag intelligently on our unique & special prizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan FO View Post
    Don is researching an interesting option right now, I would wait until Don gets these in and reports back on how they work.
    I like interesting options from Don. I'll be patient (try anyway)!

man, that is a TEASER! any hints?

Quote Originally Posted by coyote View Post
    man, that is a TEASER! any hints?
    Here is a hint. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...3&postcount=72

Answer: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...1&postcount=73

to quote monty burns (of The Simpsons): "Excellent"

Quote Originally Posted by Rico801 View Post
    Thanks again Don for making cool stuff! This thread has gotten lengthy and maybe this question doesn't belong here or maybe it has already been discussed. I apologize if this is a repeat, but I'd like to grab some titanium split rings for the Sapphire and I'm not that familiar with who sells them that supports this forum. Can somebody recommend a good place to purchase them? Berkelypoint?
    Rico801,
    Like Dan FO said, I am looking into some NITINOL split rings that he brought to our attention. However, I don't know if I will replace the 15 mm titanium split ring that I presently have on my Sapphire because it works great and installed without any significant deformation to the ring. The issue with the 15 mm Ti split ring is that you don't want to open it up to much or it will not spring back in form. I think it makes an ideal attachment point for the Sapphire. It in turn can be slipped onto the 32mm Ti Split ring for a secure mount.

In the pic below, I have the 15 mm Ti split ring on the Sapphire which is then mounted on the 32 mm Ti split ring along with the 45 mm Ti clip. This rig is all titanium and serves well, IMHO. I have another similar rig but with the addition of my ignition key. I often take my key with me out in the water if I don't have a stash on the beach. The Sapphire is a light that is not to cumbersome to add in and I don't need to be concerned about the well being of the light; regardless of where it may be or go. That was my personal goal and prime objective for the light. One of these Sapphires will certainly be part of my EDC but it may not see that much actual use. I do carry a CR123 based light when I have something other than my water shorts on.

That rig there is 100% goofy McGizmo and so am I so the fit for me is probably obvious.

Rico801,
    I do carry a CR123 based light when I have something other than my water shorts on.
    Don, would that be a Ti PD, a Ti LunaSol 20, a Ti Mule, a Ti SunDrop, or a Ti Haiku? I know it's not a 27 head.

Troy

Using a larger ring makes sense when it's usefulness as a finger ring retention device is considered.

For those who might be concerned about ring deformation, I highly recommend SSplit Ring Pliers from Texas Tackle. The standard and large versions are very comfortable to work with, while the executive model takes up the least amount of room. The standard and executive have the same size tip and will handle most needs.
    Last edited by Codeman; 03-09-2009 at 04:54 PM.
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

Well, I have a Cabelas store about 15 min from the house. Maybe I'll go check them out.

However, I really like your set up Don. I think I'll also look for a 15mm and a 32mm Ti split ring.

I have a set of those Texas Tackle pliers and they are really nice. Mine have the orange handles though (small?). I'm not sure if they will be big enough to separate the split rings or not?

Those pliers are a must for the small split rings. These Ti split rings don't require the plier if you have fingernails (awesome tool that most people cut and disgard! Go figure?!?!)

Two things I know I am not going to like about the NITINOL split rings are the pear profile instead of circle and the fact that the legs are not tucked into a bend in the form. I expect these to be much more prone to catching and snagging. Always compromises.

Dad,

In general, I carry a LunaSol 20. On specific occasions, it could be the Haiku or SunDrop instead; depending on my intended or planned use of the light if there is a "plan".

Quote Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
    Using a larger ring makes sense when it's usefulness as a finger ring retention device is considered.

For those who might be concerned about ring deformation, I highly recommend SSplit Ring Pliers from Texas Tackle. The standard and large versions are very comfortable to work with, while the executive model takes up the least amount of room. The standard and executive have the same size tip and will handle most needs.

Those are very nice! Can never have to many tools!

Dad,

In general, I carry a LunaSol 20. On specific occasions, it could be the Haiku or SunDrop instead; depending on my intended or planned use of the light if there is a "plan".
    Aha. That's where I was leaning - the LunaSol 20. Seems we have something in common there.

Ahhh, the tension ........ I love it!
    Did I get one ......... Nope. Between Don and Peter all 125 were gone in a heartbeat.
    Actually, the Arc "versions" were available for at least 30 hours.
    Peter first made his announcement on Friday at 6:43PM PST, the first person to post that they bought one was Saturday at 2:48AM PST and Peter announced that they were "almost" sold out on Sunday at 8:24AM PDT.
    I ordered mine late Saturday night right after finding out about it. I wonder why so many people waited all day Sunday to get one from Don when they were available sooner?
    I"ll admit that I was almost tempted to wait myself to get one from "the man himself" but thought better of it and got the exact same light with two LE's without any stress.
    I also noted that some bought one from both Peter and Don.
    Also, Peter said that he had 50 available and Don said he had 50 or so available out of 75, so.... what happened to the other 25?
    Mysterious.....

Quote Originally Posted by Scottiver View Post
    At my age that's a heartbeat.

Cool Daddy Administrator

Don said he had 50 or so available out of 75, so.... what happened to the other 25?
    Mysterious.....
    Not much mystery. Don specifically wanted to make these so that HE could have some for keeping/giving/etc. By at least making a large handful like this he could get the price down from about $5 million per copy to just $150. We all win
    - Darell, the EVnut
    Email me: darelldd -at- gmail - I don't do PM.
    Beer is finally cheaper than gas. Drink, don't drive.

Flashaholic*

Also, Peter said that he had 50 available and Don said he had 50 or so available out of 75, so.... what happened to the other 25?
    Mysterious.....
    Check out this post. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...4&postcount=78

Don actually let out 71 because of the demand. Very nice on his part.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Darell View Post
    Not much mystery. Don specifically wanted to make these so that HE could have some for keeping/giving/etc. By at least making a large handful like this he could get the price down from about $5 million per copy to just $150. We all win
    Thanks, Darrell. I've been wondering what it would take to get a custom from McGizmo like the old days! $5M is out of my range!

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by nystrpr View Post
    Check out this post. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...4&postcount=78

Don actually let out 71 because of the demand. Very nice on his part.
    Yep, I just read that too in the Sapphire wave thread.

Peter first made his announcement on Friday at 6:43PM PST, the first person to post that they bought one was Saturday at 2:48AM PST and Peter announced that they were "almost" sold out on Sunday at 8:24AM PDT.
    I ordered mine late Saturday night right after finding out about it. I wonder why so many people waited all day Sunday to get one from Don when they were available sooner?
    I"ll admit that I was almost tempted to wait myself to get one from "the man himself" but thought better of it and got the exact same light with two LE's without any stress.
    I also noted that some bought one from both Peter and Don.
    Mysterious.....
    I tried to buy both as a safety net, and apparently I did get one from Peter, but not in time for Don's. I have been interested in the McGizmo lights for some time now, but being a straight tube type, the Sapphire had me at hello!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    I tried to buy both as a safety net, and apparently I did get one from Peter, but not in time for Don's.
    How do you know that you DID get one from Arc? Did they send you some kind of order confirmation? Because I'm pretty darn sure that I ordered one on time but i've not as yet recieved any kind of order confirmation. Hopefully i'll get a shipping notice tomorrow and everything will be good.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast