SunwayLED
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

Default Re: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

Before getting it, I was sure that I'd not be satisfied with the overdriven LED of this light. But now, after one nicht with that gorgeous moon-like flood beam, I have to say that I'd not like it any dimmer. It is perfect like this.

What a little gem. A precious little sweet thing.

And the threads are smooth like butter in the sun.
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Nice poem Bernie

Unfortunately mine didn't arrive yet....but I am sure I will not be disappointed

*Flashaholic*

just got back from a 2 day backpack trip... sapphire's first outing.
    performed great! 3mm put out a nice amount of light inside tent.

very useful amount of light... nice even beam. the 3mm LED is a nice improvement over 5mm Arc AAA, which was embedded as a tent light. it'd been 3 months since Arc AAA was used, there was a buildup of gases inside. you can always tell when there's gas buildup. head becomes hard to turn.

Got mine today

The beam is smooth and the right amount of light for a backup EDC. The tint is way better than my original Arc AAA. It looks fantastic, its built like a tank and made by McGizmo. I'm excited

I have owned many lights in the last 10 years, some high-end and this is the first time I have that same excitement since the original Arc AAA. Goes to show how much I have been waiting for a AAA replacement and to get it in Ti from the master is a great feeling, I knew eventually it was going to happen, the wait is over

Thanks again Don

Quote Originally Posted by cy View Post
    just got back from a 2 day backpack trip... sapphire's first outing.
    performed great! 3mm put out a nice amount of light inside tent.

very useful amount of light... nice even beam. the 3mm LED is a nice improvement over 5mm Arc AAA, which was embedded as a tent light. it'd been 3 months since Arc AAA was used, there was a buildup of gases inside. you can always tell when there's gas buildup. head becomes hard to turn.
    Cy, did you feel odd without your Titan?

This is the first reference I've heard to gas buildup; is it a particular problem with Arcs?
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post

This is the first reference I've heard to gas buildup; is it a particular problem with Arcs?
    There Are Several Threads On The Subject:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=193684

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=210257

Im Not Quite Sure If Its A Common Occurrence Or Not.

Wow, that made for some interesting reading. I immediately grabbed a couple of my Arcs and opened them up!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

This buildup can occur in any sealed light. I've had it happen with an Arc and my CMG Infinity Ultra-G. The only time I've had it happen is when a nearly depleted cell is left in the light with the light on. Apparently alkalines give off a gas when they are fully-depleted. I simply replace cells before the point at which the LED simply glows (vs putting out usable light), and I haven't had it happen again. All bets are off, though, if the cell actually leaks.
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

USPS has been slow this past month. But anyway, I just received my Ti Sapphire today. What can I say? I love this little light . This is like a miniscule sundrop ... but not quite as sunny looking .... more like a purple skittle drops

The Ti Sapphire is relatively lightweight for Ti AAA (0.95oz with battery). The length is reasonable, but I love the fact that it is the smallest diameter AAA light I own. Here's a little eye candy for your entertainment:

Didn't Realized That I Have So Few AAA Lights.
    From Left to Right: ArcMania MJP Extreme III, Fenix L0D, Fenix E01, Ti Sapphire, PhotonFanatic Ti Killer AAA

Comparison in Diameter Size - See How Small the Ti Sapphire is?
    From Left to Right: ArcMania MJP Extreme III, Fenix L0D, Fenix E01, Ti Sapphire, Photon Fanatic Ti Killer AAA

My Only Two Ti AAAs
    Ti Sapphire, Photon Fanatic Ti Killer AAA

Beamshot Attempt - Not the Best Beamshot, but it Gives You an Idea. In Real Life, the Ti Sapphire is Not That Purple

The Sapphire head fits on the various Peak bodies.
    It would look right at home on a SS knurled body for a rugged look.

One TI sapphire arrived in my hands today

Really a very nice little gem and a pleasure to play with it.
    The beam is like perfect to me, as flood as necessary and not too much angle.

Another very nice McGizmo product in my collection (I will put this one in my pocket every day).

Thank you Don

*Flashaholic*

the ultimate compliment is what light actually gets used. this is especially true for old timers like Frenchy who's got loads of high end lights.

Ti Sapphire has taken over neck lanyard EDC duties away from Titan.
    no it's not the brightest.. but 100% functional, emitting a very useful amount of light.
    1/3 of the time with lanyard EDC, teeth are holding light for closeup work.

99% of the time Titan was used on low anyways. so don't seem to miss having high beam available. always have my Ti PD for the times high beam is needed.

Just received mine and it is great. I have to agree with all the praise this light is getting. I was a little surprised at how small it is compared to my other AAA lights. I saw the comparison pics but you appreciate it more when you actually hold it. I love the beam, the aesthetics and the material. Nice even flood and moonlight tint with just the right size beam IMO. I sold my Arc AAA last year because the beam really bothered me. I know the Arc is a great light but that ring around the beam just bugged whenever I used it. Something bothering you on a white wall is one thing but when it bothers you while using it then that something that has to be considered. Thanks Don. My PD and Mule are happy to have a baby brother.
    I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

You never know with a new light how it will be received by the community. I am real glad that many of you are finding the Sapphire to your liking!! Thanks!!
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by MWClint View Post
    I'm guessing this would work the other way around (Peak head on Saphire body) too then. Any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    You never know with a new light how it will be received by the community. I am real glad that many of you are finding the Sapphire to your liking!! Thanks!!
    It's becoming my go to light around the house! I need a second one because I disconnect this one from my keys 10 times a day.

This light is a home run, Don.
    Trees don't grow on money either.

I use mine 11 times a day (one more than soupie :P). I agree, these are wonderful. :-)
    --Peter

Well, my only problem with the Sapphire is i don't have one!!!

I hope you are going to be able to produce more!!!

chris
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by MWClint View Post
    Mine fits the Matternhorn AAA body but bottoms out before the battery makes contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Atwood View Post
    I use mine 11 times a day (one more than soupie :P). I agree, these are wonderful. :-)
    That Peter Atwood guy is always trying to one up me!!
    Trees don't grow on money either.

Quote Originally Posted by souptree View Post
    It's becoming my go to light around the house! I need a second one because I disconnect this one from my keys 10 times a day.

This light is a home run, Don.

I finally got around to putting a McGizzy clip on my keyring. I have been using it often and got tired of taking it off the split ring each time. The clip makes it much more friendly.

The body of mine is scratching up nicely, thanks to my keys. Awesome light Don!

Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    Just received mine and it is great. I have to agree with all the praise this light is getting. I was a little surprised at how small it is compared to my other AAA lights. I saw the comparison pics but you appreciate it more when you actually hold it. I love the beam, the aesthetics and the material. Nice even flood and moonlight tint with just the right size beam IMO. I sold my Arc AAA last year because the beam really bothered me. I know the Arc is a great light but that ring around the beam just bugged whenever I used it. Something bothering you on a white wall is one thing but when it bothers you while using it then that something that has to be considered. Thanks Don. My PD and Mule are happy to have a baby brother.
    Having just received my Sapphire/Arc I can't agree enough about the beauty of the beamshape, but also as the owner of numerous Arc's, wonder if you might have gotten a rare bad one. I hate the beam of most 5mm lights I've had, the Arc being the exception.

I don't have a Sundrop, but having read lots about them, I can't help but think that Don should have named this the Moondrop instead! Beautiful moonlight floods out with an incredible neutrality of position.

Can't wait for the 2 or 3 level version, please!

....but also as the owner of numerous Arc's, wonder if you might have gotten a rare bad one. I hate the beam of most 5mm lights I've had, the Arc being the exception...
    Maybe the CS version had a better beam? I had an Arc AAA with a DS emitter and an Arc AAA with some kind of white LED (can't remember what it was called..."snow" maybe?) Both of the lights had a bright ring separated from the beam by dark area. I found that if the emitter was recessed a bit more it would go away. I had the same problem with a Dorcy penlight someone gave me. I took it apart and pulled the emitter back and the ring was gone. I did really like the Arcs but it just really bothered me when I would use them.

I think you are right it should nicknamed the moondrop!

*Flashaholic*

was fortunate in scoring both Sapphire and Ti Arc AAA.
    both should have same name, as they are identical. except dab of solder on circuit board.

having the Arc kit with 5mm & 3mm light engine was a treat.
    after playing with both LE... hands down, 3mm came out on top.

besides a super cool ti package, Sapphire delivers a nice usable amount of light. have not missed Titan at all... Sapphire makes the best neck lanyard EDC light yet.

Hi guys,
    I am glad you like the flood beam pattern of the 310DS. I hav always preferred a flood pattern for a small light which is primarily used for in close work and have never been successful in convincing one of the manufacturers to use the 3 mm Nichias with the wider viewing angle. The first mod I think I posted about on CPF going back a number of years now was an Arc AAA that I modified into a flood version (got rid of any artifacts):

I just poured in a water clear, UV protected epoxy.

I considered the name of moon drop as well but for a number of reasons, elected to hold the name in reserve. I think a primary distinction for this AAA light over similar sized and 3 or 5 mm LED based lights it the sapphire window and so it was named.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

I was just wondering... what should we do in the case of burning out the 3mm LED whenever it should actually happen? (Probably years from now...)
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Having just received my Sapphire/Arc I can't agree enough about the beauty of the beamshape, but also as the owner of numerous Arc's, wonder if you might have gotten a rare bad one. I hate the beam of most 5mm lights I've had, the Arc being the exception.
    The outer ring in the beam of a bare 5mm LED definitely bothers me. I don't know if the latest Arc-AAA GS reduced/eliminated the ring when they fixed the protruding LED problem, but I bought mine before the "fix" and the ring is very pronounced. The same is true for my DS model, recent Proton microlights and Ti Killer. The lower output of the CS and earlier Arc-AAA's makes the outer ring in the beam less pronounced, but it's still there. Sinking the LED deeper into the body - as in the Fenix E01 and Ti Arc-AAA GS - appears to eliminate the ring.

I wonder how the beam from the GS would look in the Sapphire/Ti Arc-AAA body if you ground the dome, a la the SMJ LEDs?

Quote Originally Posted by gswitter View Post
    The outer ring in the beam of a bare 5mm LED definitely bothers me. I don't know if the latest Arc-AAA GS reduced/eliminated the ring when they fixed the protruding LED problem, but I bought mine before the "fix" and the ring is very pronounced. The same is true for my DS model, recent Proton microlights and Ti Killer. The lower output of the CS and earlier Arc-AAA's makes the outer ring in the beam less pronounced, but it's still there. Sinking the LED deeper into the body - as in the Fenix E01 and Ti Arc-AAA GS - appears to eliminate the ring.

I wonder how the beam from the GS would look in the Sapphire/Ti Arc-AAA body if you ground the dome, a la the SMJ LEDs?
    So it's not just me.
    I have to admit because of the pictures of the Mako I was hesitant to get one. The LED looked forward enough to create the ring so I held off on getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    I was just wondering... what should we do in the case of burning out the 3mm LED whenever it should actually happen? (Probably years from now...)
    Deal with it then if it should come to pass? Stock up on an extra(s) LED now and set it aside in a safe place?

...I considered the name of moon drop as well but for a number of reasons, elected to hold the name in reserve...
    Hmmmm. Does this mean Don is planning yet another light? What a subtle tease.