HDS Systems
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 589101112131415

Thread: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

Default Re: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

I bought my first one new direct from Don and it had one, but I picked up another secondhand that doesn't have one. It's not a big deal but I prefer not having the battery rattle. I tried the 'wrapping battery with post-it note' trick and it works somewhat but it could be better.

I found that the action on my first wave McGizmo Sapphire was too stiff with the foam donut installed as provided, however it was (and remains) PERFECT after I cut it in half with a very sharp knife.

I must say this continues to be one of my favorite lights and I don't go anywhere without it (along with my ever trusty PD). It's what I was looking for in a keychain light.
    Trees don't grow on money either.

I have the Arc version and per Don's suggestion, I took the foam ring off. I am using an Energizer Lithium cell and took a piece of Scotch tape about 1.5 inches long, folded the sticky halves on top of each other, and slid it in with the battery. I haven't noticed any rattle...and rattling bothers me.

Good luck!
    MK

Another good purpose for the foam donut is that it can serve as a anti reverse polarity devise, as crude as that may sound. It keeps the flat bottomed negative terminal of the battery from making contact with the + nub of the circuit, and unless you are the perfect human being, accidents can happen, and batteries can be inserted backwards.

Bill

It surely is a handy little light

I finished a portable welding job (track hoe with a cracked boom) at 11:15 last evening. Both the PD-S and the SunDrop had been left at home so they wouldn't get weld spatter. The Surefire G2LED, that always stays in the truck, had been loaned to a friend. No problem until the welder-generator was turned off & I wanted to sweep the area before driving away.

Many thanks for a tiny keychain light that's always ready to use.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through http://precision.works/

Thanks Barry for the testimonial as it were. But what's a little weld spatter among friends?

Peter Gransee has been making the point for years that it doesn't matter how good or sophisticated a light is if it isn't there when you need it. As flashaholics, most of us are not so likely to get caught empty handed in the dark but....

I suspect like you, I have delegated my sapphires to a support or back up role. I have two different sets of keys, one for Vespa and the other for my van. I have a Sapphire on each set so by default, if I am away from my house (were I have way more lights than I need) I am at the minimum covered with a Sapphire. I know some people rely on and use their key chain light as a primary.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Sapphire as a back-up here as well. One that will go where I go when on vacation as it will live through sea water and anything else
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

what's a little weld spatter among friends?
    In fact, the PD-S did get a few BB's one day, as I was laying next to a bat-wing Bush Hog mower with a broken wheel & welding overhead. Noticed the stuck on balls as soon as I got home and popped them off with a razor blade. They left tiny discolorations, which rubbed out with a maroon Scotchbrite pad. Nice thing about Ti is that it's close to bullet proof
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through http://precision.works/

I would say my Sapphire is the light I grab about a third of the time. It is usually not far from hand. I think that takes it out of the realm of backup for me. It's become one of my primary lights!
    Trees don't grow on money either.

Flashaholic

I have bought Ti Arc Kit and it seems I blew up two of the light engines provided. Any chance I could grab the light engine from here ?