NITECORE -- Keep Innovating
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 589101112131415

Thread: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

Default Re: The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

I bought my first one new direct from Don and it had one, but I picked up another secondhand that doesn't have one. It's not a big deal but I prefer not having the battery rattle. I tried the 'wrapping battery with post-it note' trick and it works somewhat but it could be better.

I found that the action on my first wave McGizmo Sapphire was too stiff with the foam donut installed as provided, however it was (and remains) PERFECT after I cut it in half with a very sharp knife.

I must say this continues to be one of my favorite lights and I don't go anywhere without it (along with my ever trusty PD). It's what I was looking for in a keychain light.
    Trees don't grow on money either.

I have the Arc version and per Don's suggestion, I took the foam ring off. I am using an Energizer Lithium cell and took a piece of Scotch tape about 1.5 inches long, folded the sticky halves on top of each other, and slid it in with the battery. I haven't noticed any rattle...and rattling bothers me.

Good luck!
    MK

Another good purpose for the foam donut is that it can serve as a anti reverse polarity devise, as crude as that may sound. It keeps the flat bottomed negative terminal of the battery from making contact with the + nub of the circuit, and unless you are the perfect human being, accidents can happen, and batteries can be inserted backwards.

Bill

It surely is a handy little light

I finished a portable welding job (track hoe with a cracked boom) at 11:15 last evening. Both the PD-S and the SunDrop had been left at home so they wouldn't get weld spatter. The Surefire G2LED, that always stays in the truck, had been loaned to a friend. No problem until the welder-generator was turned off & I wanted to sweep the area before driving away.

Many thanks for a tiny keychain light that's always ready to use.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please PM, text msg, phone or Email through www:Precision.Works

Thanks Barry for the testimonial as it were. But what's a little weld spatter among friends?

Peter Gransee has been making the point for years that it doesn't matter how good or sophisticated a light is if it isn't there when you need it. As flashaholics, most of us are not so likely to get caught empty handed in the dark but....

I suspect like you, I have delegated my sapphires to a support or back up role. I have two different sets of keys, one for Vespa and the other for my van. I have a Sapphire on each set so by default, if I am away from my house (were I have way more lights than I need) I am at the minimum covered with a Sapphire. I know some people rely on and use their key chain light as a primary.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Sapphire as a back-up here as well. One that will go where I go when on vacation as it will live through sea water and anything else
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

what's a little weld spatter among friends?
    In fact, the PD-S did get a few BB's one day, as I was laying next to a bat-wing Bush Hog mower with a broken wheel & welding overhead. Noticed the stuck on balls as soon as I got home and popped them off with a razor blade. They left tiny discolorations, which rubbed out with a maroon Scotchbrite pad. Nice thing about Ti is that it's close to bullet proof
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please PM, text msg, phone or Email through www:Precision.Works

I would say my Sapphire is the light I grab about a third of the time. It is usually not far from hand. I think that takes it out of the realm of backup for me. It's become one of my primary lights!
    Trees don't grow on money either.

Flashaholic

I have bought Ti Arc Kit and it seems I blew up two of the light engines provided. Any chance I could grab the light engine from here ?

Is this light available looking for one

Quote Originally Posted by h and k man View Post
    Is this light available looking for one
    Yes, Sappjhire GS is available.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Hi Don,
    I have one if your original Sapphire lights and I have experienced flickering from the beginning. The only way I was able to eliminate most of it was to tighten the head very tight. I have my light in my BOB and pull it out monthly for use. The flickering is much worse even after cleaning/lubing and a battery change. When I turn the light on casually it does not turn on. I then loosen the head and tighten down firmly to get it to function. Is there a remedy I can try myself to rectify the flickering issue?
    Thanks Don
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DDS View Post
    Hi Don,
    I have one if your original Sapphire lights and I have experienced flickering from the beginning. The only way I was able to eliminate most of it was to tighten the head very tight. I have my light in my BOB and pull it out monthly for use. The flickering is much worse even after cleaning/lubing and a battery change. When I turn the light on casually it does not turn on. I then loosen the head and tighten down firmly to get it to function. Is there a remedy I can try myself to rectify the flickering issue?
    Thanks Don
    Dave
    Hi Dave,
    It sounds like you have an original with the ARC converter which was quite sensitive to resistance in the battery supply connections and path. There is probably a single solder blob at the perimeter of the converter board where I staked it to enhance contact. You might see if you can work that solder against the lip of the titanium head a bit and see if that improves the performance. If you want, contract me and we can sort out having you send it to me for remedy.

Hi Don,
    Can you please email me so I can send you a pic of my LE of my sapphire to evaluate the solder blob?
    Thanks, Dave
    dmbtraders@gmail.com

First post in this thread was 2009. Any planned updates to this light or configuration to bring it to 2016? (CRI, Tailstand, Two Stage)

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 589101112131415