Klarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is There a Such Thing as a "Cheap" Shotgun Flashlight?

Default Is There a Such Thing as a "Cheap" Shotgun Flashlight?

I would like to mount a flashlight on my shotgun but it's very difficult to imagine spending 150 to 250 on a Surefire setup. No let me rephrase, that would be impossible.

I have a mount for my shotgun. Is there any flashlight under say 60 bucks that "in your opinion" would handle the abuse of being mounted on the barrel of a shotgun? Actually it would be under the gun. No matter.

I hate to be a cheapskate, but would a Mini-Mag LED be able to stand the abuse? I care less about lumens and all that and more about having a free hand while looking around my property.

Default Re: Is There a Such Thing as a "Cheap" Shotgun Flashlight?

A minimag would be utterly worthless. You want something from the Fenix TK series.

A minimag would beat itself to death, unless you used it with a kroll tailcap switch.
    If you already have the mount... What mount is it?
    I have this one on my rifle and it works pretty darn good after some locktite.
    I use this in conjunction with a solarforce L2m single cell like surefire 3p with a forward clicky that I built myself.
    Last edited by carbine15; 03-06-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Flashaholic

Why not get a Surefire 6P original, yes they're $62 dollars, but they are well worth it. If you get yours at LA Police Gear you save the shipping cost and get free batteries. Plus until March 8th you can save 15%. I'd look into it if I were you.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/surefire...lashlight.html
    -Bruce, Security Officer/EMT-I

"So many cool flashlights, so few pockets!" - Skeptic

I second the SF 6P (in an LED format). I have the 6PL, it's held up find to about 30 rounds of buck and bird shot. Haven't tried slugs with it yet, but if you're needing to shoot that many rounds, either you need a dedicated light, or better aim.
    Fenix P2D * Surefire 6PL * Surefire E2L * Surefire E2/KL4 * Surefire E1L * Streamlight Nano * Streamlight Scorpion * Maglight 3D * MiniMag LED * Lumapower Connexion * Proton Photon * Maratac AAA * Nitecore NDI

Flashaholic

The 6P original is closer to your price range. Also rather than getting the 6PLED, you can just buy your own LED drop-in such as a Malkoff if you eventually desired.

Malkoff plus 6p $110
    Not Cheap.
    Kroll switch for minimag $5
    Very cheap

Why not an Inova XO or T series?

There's a T1 (close range, bright, lots of flood) on the marketplace used for $38 right now.

Surefire G2? Can be had for about $36.

Edit: skip the Mini-Mag. Totally useless for a shotgun without a good LED dropin, which is about $20.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by carbine15 View Post
    Malkoff plus 6p $110
    Not Cheap.
    Kroll switch for minimag $5
    Very cheap
    He doesn't need to get the Malkoff right away.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 154CM View Post

That works as well

Post Re: Is There a Such Thing as a "Cheap" Shotgun Flashlight?

I use the Wolf Eyes 6HX on my Mossberg 500. It is excellent quality and includes a remote pressure switch and a clicky on the tailcap. Has held up to many rounds without issue.

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/produ...1-140-3-8-6030

Mark

I hope that's a joke! I'd be real hesitant about just duct-tape, as it would seem that the flashlight would either roll or have one end shift more than the other after a round or 2.
    Fenix P2D * Surefire 6PL * Surefire E2L * Surefire E2/KL4 * Surefire E1L * Streamlight Nano * Streamlight Scorpion * Maglight 3D * MiniMag LED * Lumapower Connexion * Proton Photon * Maratac AAA * Nitecore NDI

I have a Fenix E20 on my Mossberg 930. I have maybe 2000 rounds through that gun after the light was installed and it appears to be fine. Need a 3/4" mount though. Another option would be a old Fenix T1. I have one Ive been meaning to sell, but I had that on the Mossberg before I went to the E20 and it survived fine as well.

Standard 6P host with Malkoff module of your choice.
    The solarforce L2 host is also a good alternative, especially if you want to use an 18650 cell. its about half the price of a 6P. The OEM tailcap is a rev-clicky, but 6P switches are interchangeable. An L2 paired with a malkoff M30 and blue Trustfire 18650 cells would make a great budget setup IMHO.

FWIW, my DX11836 module has prooven to be very durable. I have dropped my 6P/11836 countless times, hard enough to gouge the tailcap, dent the bezel and crack the pyrex window. I have not heard/read of any field failures on this unit either here or on the DX forums. Considering its popularity that's quote a feat.
    Last edited by kramer5150; 03-07-2009 at 10:36 AM.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

Post Re: Is There a Such Thing as a "Cheap" Shotgun Flashlight?

IMO, I would not use a rechargeable cell in a weapon light, unless you are going to use it frequently or you can remember to rotate the cell with a freshly charged one on a regular schedule.

If your shotgun is going to live in a closet or gun safe, you might just discover a partially or fully self discharged cell at a really bad time.

I prefer lithium primary cells which is one reason I went with the Wolf Eyes 2xCR123. Long shelf life. Run time on a weapon light is not an issue.

Mark

You could try one of the new eagletacs. The P100a2 (for AA) and the P100C2 (for cr123) are both around $40. They are supposedly shock resistant, and are designed to be used as weaponlights (or so eagletac claims). I believe Eagletac-store.com and ptsflashlights are the only 2 retailers that currently sell them.

Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions. You have given me a great starting point.

Buttrock Re: Is There a Such Thing as a "Cheap" Shotgun Flashlight?

For my Mossberg 500, I picked up a Streamlight TL-3 with Shockproof Xenon for $35 from Botachtactical, and found a lightmount from MidwayUSA for 1" lights for $15. Of course, then I figured out that the TL-3 is only .9", so I had to buy an adaptor for another $10. Considering a forward clickie, but not sure at the moment. Still playing. HTH.

Lights up a room with around 200 lumens, and doesn't unbalance the weapon for @$60. I'm happy.

An adapter? Why not a strip of leather or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidspaceman View Post
    I have a mount for my shotgun. Is there any flashlight under say 60 bucks that "in your opinion" would handle the abuse of being mounted on the barrel of a shotgun?
    I don't get it: The following are each from separate threads that you've opened:

What is the most inexpensive light, other than Maglite that you would trust your life to? [...] every flashlight under 25 bucks you can think of
    What's your honest opinion on 9 LED flashlights you find at the checkout aisle at Walmart or Home Depot?
    A. Totally Worthless Junk.
    B. Junk, but somethings better than nothing.
    C. They're not as bad as you think.
    [...]
    What would you recommend for an everyday carry light for around 40 bucks, less than 50 preferably.
    Which of these [budget flashlights that cost 50 bucks a piece] would you choose over a maglite?
    I am looking for the following in a flashlight: [...] Around 45 dollars or less. Prefer LESS than 45 and my ideal flashlight would cost 40.
    So which AA flashlight would you take for under 15 bucks? [...]
    What AA cheapo China light gives the best bang for 10 to 15 bucks?
    Regarding these two posts:
    4/06/09
    I still think I should get a Surefire for the sake of having one. Don't ask me why I need to have one.
    04/13/09
    I hate to be a cheapskate, but would a Mini-Mag LED be able to stand the abuse?
    So you intend to get an expensive SF just to have one, as you have apparently decided that you don't actually need one. But one week later, you want to spend $15 on the cheapest possible flashlight to attach to a gun that you will entrust your life to?

Compare this:
    I would like to mount a flashlight on my shotgun but it's very difficult to imagine spending 150 to 250 on a Surefire setup. No let me rephrase, that would be impossible.
    [...]
    I hate to be a cheapskate, but would a Mini-Mag LED be able to stand the abuse?
    to this:
    4/05/09
    My dilemma is that I have $200 dollars worth of Budget Flashlights.
    You're going to buy something to attach to a firearm and therefore have the ability to point it at an unidentified object to identify it to see IF it's a threat, potentially creating a deadly-force encounter, but you're trying (again) to do it as cheaply as absolutely possible, like for ~$15!!!. How much is your life worth to you, and have you actually had any defense training first?
    Last edited by Kestrel; 04-13-2009 at 05:19 PM.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Fenix E01 with duct tape simple, efficent, bombproof and a beam so ugly it will make your assailent hurl.

I dont know about cheap but at least right around $100 if your good @ Ebaying. Surefire 6P original host then a Malkoff M60 or M60L (About $55 shipped if you use cpf code) and top it all off with a FM34 off Ebay for $29 shipped and now you have a thrower and a roomlight all in one and just find you a mount for the shotty(I also need to find me a mount for my 6p). And if you have a hard time finding a cheap 6P buy a solarforce L2.
    Last edited by gsxrac; 04-14-2009 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I don't get it: The following are each from separate threads that you've opened:

Regarding these two posts:
    4/06/09

04/13/09

So you intend to get an expensive SF just to have one, as you have apparently decided that you don't actually need one. But one week later, you want to spend $15 on the cheapest possible flashlight to attach to a gun that you will entrust your life to?

Compare this:

to this:
    4/05/09

You're going to buy something to attach to a firearm and therefore have the ability to point it at an unidentified object to identify it to see IF it's a threat, potentially creating a deadly-force encounter, but you're trying (again) to do it as cheaply as absolutely possible, like for ~$15!!!. How much is your life worth to you, and have you actually had any defense training first?

Kestrel,

In the last few months I have become a different poster altogether. I had been a little bit enthusiastic when I first joined this forum and didn't want to spend a lot of money on a good light. I didn't even own a premium light at the time. Since then, I understand the differences between premium and regular store lights and I have since relaxed in my posting.

You are basically digging up the past. This post was made over a month ago. I don't make posts about budget lights anymore and I certainly wouldn't attach a Maglite to my shotgun knowing what I know now. I now have a Solarforce on the end of my mossberg. It has held up very well.

And the reason you don't get it is because you are living in my past. Step into the now and let the past go. I'm sure you think yourself quite "the man" for knowing how to do a search on me. But if you actually read my newer threads as opposed to my older ones, you'd realize that I'm not even going down the "budget" route anymore and after my chat with several people on the forum including admins, I rarely make new threads at all, except to share a sentimental story or two.

Use that time machine of yours and step into the present brother. You use the search function well but if you actually look at the dates on the posts you're referencing, they are a month after this one was made. For a guy who fancies himself a "search guru" you should know that dates mean everything. Now go cut and paste somewhere else where it makes sense. Also, the dates in your quotes are wrong. I was asking for budget lights at the beginning of March, not in April as you incorrectly quoted. Since then I have $200 bucks worth of budget flashlights and 3 premiums. And in that other thread I was stating that I should have just skipped the budget lights and got 2 good surefires. To which everyone replied that this mistake happens to a lot of people in the beginning.

If you followed the dates of the threads, you wouldn't be as confused as you are now. This is an old thread. If you look at the top 50 threads, there are only 2 of my threads in the top 50 and both of them created over a month ago. All the stuff you're referencing is old news.

By the way, you sure do expend a lot of energy in trying to make somebody look bad. You ought to look into why you do that. It probably goes deeper than this forum.
    Last edited by Liquidspaceman; 04-14-2009 at 12:46 PM.

But if you actually read my newer threads as opposed to my older ones, you'd realize that I'm not even going down the "budget" route anymore. [...]
    Yes, I've read your newer threads, specifically the one on evaluating what SureFires to purchase. A good thread, well organized and directed, with a lot of helpful suggestions, including a couple from me (IIRC, steering you away from the underperforming SF L2 - as I have one & could think of a couple better options for what you were looking for). For the aggregate of helpful suggestions from CPF'ers, you sent a big thank-you for, which I would imagine that folks appreciated.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=188610
    That has to set some kind of CPF record for an enthusiastic thank-you.
    The great thing about this forum is that a lot of people here really do enjoy helping folks out with info - Review that thread of yours if you'd like, I put a lot of effort into posting there as well, with ~3 or so recursions following up on your subsequent posts.
    the dates in your quotes are wrong.
    I see that I cited one incorrect date, for your first post in this thread. I acknowledge my mistake and apologize. My only excuse is that this thread was bumped after sitting for over a month but you had not yet added any additional or revisory information.
    By the way, you sure do expend a lot of energy in trying to make somebody look bad.
    I've only expended a lot of energy twice, for two people who didn't need any additional help.

My apologies for coming off strong, but this thread started like all those others, asking if there is "a such thing as a 'cheap' Shotgun flashlight" and inquiring if a $15 flashlight would work. My #1 question was how I ended my previous post:

You're going to buy something to attach to a firearm and therefore have the ability to point it at an unidentified object to identify it to see IF it's a threat, potentially creating a deadly-force encounter, and you're still asking to do it on the cheap.

There have been a couple of threads regarding using flashlights in low-light encounters, I'll dig up a few, very interesting & informative reading.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=188610
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=188610 <- particularly good
    I might come across other threads if I search some more, but the AMAZING thing about these above two is that they were never closed due to 'Mall Ninja' posting and other associated bunk. CPF threads that deal with self-defense have a terrible record for getting closed, which attests to the inherent hurdle that these two threads met.

Spending $250 is 'impossible', yet it sounds like you've already picked up some nice SF's for other uses, which you hadn't mentioned initially. I didn't understand your priorities, but I'd still like to listen & post suggestions, that's all. When you boil it down, these are still interesting topics.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 04-14-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Adding links...
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Yes, I've read your newer threads, specifically the one on evaluating what SureFires to purchase. A good thread, well organized, with a lot of very helpful suggestions, including a couple from me (steering you away from the underperforming L2 - as I have one, IIRC). For the helpful suggestions, you sent a big thank-you for, which I think folks did appreciate.

The dates are as follows:
    (links to follow)

I've only expended a lot of energy twice, for two people who didn't need any additional help in looking bad.

My apologies for coming off strong, but this thread started like all those others, asking if there is "a such thing as a 'cheap' Shotgun flashlight" and inquiring if a $15 flashlight would work. My #1 question was how I ended my previous post:
    You're going to buy something to attach to a firearm and therefore have the ability to point it at an unidentified object to identify it to see IF it's a threat, potentially creating a deadly-force encounter, and you're still asking to do it on the cheap. Spending $250 is 'impossible', yet it sounds like you've already picked up some nice SF's for other uses. I just didn't understand your priorities, but I'd still like to listen & post suggestions, that's all.
    Thanks man. No, I am far past budget lights at this point. I actually got my first surefire this week (haven't posted about it) and got a Nitecore in the works.

I understand your concern. I have relaxed quite a bit on my multiple threads from the past. I hope you see that and at some point see me as a "reborn" poster.

Thanks buddy.

A minimag will NOT let you see around your property. I suggest a Surefire G2(can find them as low as 25 bucks on the B/S/T. With some sort of R2 drop in.
    Its better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Flashaholic*

The hard nub of this whole discussion is that when you are talking about a tool to be used in a situation where the lives and physical freedom of people are involved, "cheap" is an invalid factor. Too much depends on equipment that functions fully and reliably.
    MD3 | M6CB | Gladius/SSCP4 | A2-HA-WH | A2-HA-YG | A2-BK-WH | Z3/KT2 | M2 | C2 | 6Z | 6P | U2A | K2MS | E2e/KL4 BK | E2DL | E2D | E2L | L2 | Milky ML1/SSCP4 USWOH McR18j | L1-BK-RD | L1-HA-WH | L1-HA-WH Cree | L1-HA-RD | 3P | E1B | E1L | E1E-HA-BK | E1W | 618FA | G2

Allow me. For the record, I would say this even if I didn't work here. Somebody said it perfectly "What is your life worth?" Or, what is your family’s life worth? There are some things in life that should not be compromised on. When it comes to the security of my family I will NEVER compromise. Do not mount a flashlight, even a SureFire, which was intended for handheld use on a weapon with such violent recoil like a shotgun. LED or otherwise. Spend the money and buy a dedicated shotgun forend and do it right the first time. My two cents.

As this is a flashlight forum, and I'm a newbie (:P), let me focus on the other side of it: light mounts and tactics. Depending on what shotgun you have, there are different options available (including DIY). If you have a Mossberg, your options are more limited. MidwayUSA has the only mount for a Mossy that I've found that works with a mag extension.

As for tactics with a light and shotgun, I'd suggest Shotgunworld.com for info. Check the basement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast