Is There a Such Thing as a "Cheap" Shotgun Flashlight?

I would like to mount a flashlight on my shotgun but it's very difficult to imagine spending 150 to 250 on a Surefire setup. No let me rephrase, that would be impossible.

I have a mount for my shotgun. Is there any flashlight under say 60 bucks that "in your opinion" would handle the abuse of being mounted on the barrel of a shotgun? Actually it would be under the gun. No matter.

I hate to be a cheapskate, but would a Mini-Mag LED be able to stand the abuse? I care less about lumens and all that and more about having a free hand while looking around my property.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
A minimag would beat itself to death, unless you used it with a kroll tailcap switch.
If you already have the mount... What mount is it?
I have this one on my rifle and it works pretty darn good after some locktite.
I use this in conjunction with a solarforce L2m single cell like surefire 3p with a forward clicky that I built myself.

Last edited:

Mdinana

Enlightened
I second the SF 6P (in an LED format). I have the 6PL, it's held up find to about 30 rounds of buck and bird shot. Haven't tried slugs with it yet, but if you're needing to shoot that many rounds, either you need a dedicated light, or better aim.

Bruce B

Enlightened
The 6P original is closer to your price range. Also rather than getting the 6PLED, you can just buy your own LED drop-in such as a Malkoff if you eventually desired.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not an Inova XO or T series?

There's a T1 (close range, bright, lots of flood) on the marketplace used for $38 right now.

Surefire G2? Can be had for about $36.

Edit: skip the Mini-Mag. Totally useless for a shotgun without a good LED dropin, which is about $20.

154CM

Newly Enlightened
6-1.jpg

ha.gif

Mdinana

Enlightened
I hope that's a joke! I'd be real hesitant about just duct-tape, as it would seem that the flashlight would either roll or have one end shift more than the other after a round or 2.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I have a Fenix E20 on my Mossberg 930. I have maybe 2000 rounds through that gun after the light was installed and it appears to be fine. Need a 3/4" mount though. Another option would be a old Fenix T1. I have one Ive been meaning to sell, but I had that on the Mossberg before I went to the E20 and it survived fine as well.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Standard 6P host with Malkoff module of your choice.
The solarforce L2 host is also a good alternative, especially if you want to use an 18650 cell. its about half the price of a 6P. The OEM tailcap is a rev-clicky, but 6P switches are interchangeable. An L2 paired with a malkoff M30 and blue Trustfire 18650 cells would make a great budget setup IMHO.

FWIW, my DX11836 module has prooven to be very durable. I have dropped my 6P/11836 countless times, hard enough to gouge the tailcap, dent the bezel and crack the pyrex window. I have not heard/read of any field failures on this unit either here or on the DX forums. Considering its popularity that's quote a feat.

Last edited:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, I would not use a rechargeable cell in a weapon light, unless you are going to use it frequently or you can remember to rotate the cell with a freshly charged one on a regular schedule.

If your shotgun is going to live in a closet or gun safe, you might just discover a partially or fully self discharged cell at a really bad time.

I prefer lithium primary cells which is one reason I went with the Wolf Eyes 2xCR123. Long shelf life. Run time on a weapon light is not an issue.

Mark

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try one of the new eagletacs. The P100a2 (for AA) and the P100C2 (for cr123) are both around $40. They are supposedly shock resistant, and are designed to be used as weaponlights (or so eagletac claims). I believe Eagletac-store.com and ptsflashlights are the only 2 retailers that currently sell them.

Oberon

Newly Enlightened
For my Mossberg 500, I picked up a Streamlight TL-3 with Shockproof Xenon for $35 from Botachtactical, and found a lightmount from MidwayUSA for 1" lights for $15. Of course, then I figured out that the TL-3 is only .9", so I had to buy an adaptor for another $10. Considering a forward clickie, but not sure at the moment. Still playing. HTH.

Lights up a room with around 200 lumens, and doesn't unbalance the weapon for @$60. I'm happy.