4 trits on Raw Ti but 5 trits on Raw NS?

MetalZone

Newly Enlightened
I've pretty much set my mind on a Raw NS but what I'm concerned about is why are there 4 trits on the Raw Ti but 5 on the NS?

From the pictures I saw in Lummi's website of the Raw Ti with the reflection on the mirror behind, it had 4 trits evenly spaced and just enough space for the "raw ti" engraving as you can see below.
100_4668-leveled.jpg

However, would the Raw NS still have 5 trits equally spaced and still have enough space for the "raw ns" engraving? this is my main concern. I would be bothered if it isn't equally spaced. I haven't seen pictures of the 5 trits yet so I don't know how it looks like.
Personally I thought 5 trits is a bit overkill. 3 or 4 would be preferred. 1 trit would be too little as you can only see it on one side of the light. what are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

JohnF

Enlightened
I've pretty much set my mind on a Raw NS but what I'm concerned about is why are there 4 trits on the Raw Ti but 5 on the NS?

From the pictures I saw in Lummi's website of the Raw Ti with the reflection on the mirror behind, it had 4 trits evenly spaced and just enough space for the "raw ti" engraving as you can see below.
100_4668-leveled.jpg

However, would the Raw NS still have 5 trits equally spaced and still have enough space for the "raw ns" engraving? this is my main concern. I would be bothered if it isn't equally spaced. I haven't seen pictures of the 5 trits yet so I don't know how it looks like.
Personally I thought 5 trits is a bit overkill. 3 or 4 would be preferred. 1 trit would be too little as you can only see it on one side of the light. what are your thoughts on this?

My new-ish RawTi was ordered and came with 5 trits. Functionally, I think 5 trits will always assure that 2 are showing, with 4 you might only see one if it was sitting exactly wrong, but usually 2 would show. With 5, they are not exactly evenly spaced because of the 'Raw Ti' machining, but they could be evenly spaced with 4. I'm sure someone will chime in that has a 4-trit Raw.

I like having all 5. I know the blues are very popular, but I prefer the greens for their greater perceived brightness. But, enough of my opinions...

John F

MetalZone

Newly Enlightened
thanks for your input. at least now i know that the 5 trits option isn't equally spaced. if thats the case i would prefer 4 or 3 equidistant. but i think Rob isn't making them at the moment... he hasn't replied my mail yet.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couple of points to correct.
The picture shown is a 5 locator Raw Ti. It is the best I have been able to do to show all locators on the same photo.
All the locator slots are equally spaced from each other, whether it be 3 , 4 or 5 slots.

There is a choice to have 4 or 5 slots & Green & White locators at the moment for the Raw NS & Ti. Ice Blue locators will be back in stock by the end of March.
:thanks:

JohnF

Enlightened
Rob,

<<All the locator slots are equally spaced from each other, whether it be 3 , 4 or 5 slots.>>

My raw ti with 5 trits does not have the locator slots equally spaced, and I don't know how they could be. The trits between the "raw ti" (2 rows of engraved lettering) measure approx. 10.2 mm apart. All other trits measure about 8.9 mm apart. The slots on top and bottom of the engraving are as close to the engraving as they could practically be and still look good, so unless the engraved letters were smaller, those 2 locator slots have to be a little farther apart to fit 5 slots around the body (don't they?). It is enough of a difference to be slightly noticeable even with my old worn out eyes, but I figured that was just the way it was, and it certainly doesn't bother me. (Well, at least it didn't until you said they were all equidistant!)

I'm only pointing this out so someone is not surprised - if my torch is an anomaly, let me know. Maybe it will be worth a lot of money someday, like a mis-struck coin!

John F
LV, NV

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stand corrected. :ohgeez:
You are spot on JohnF :twothumbs

I had always thought the 5 locators were equally spaced. Upon inspection after this post it is hard to notice but the two locators by the logo are about 1.2mm further apart than the remainder. Of course like JohnF says this is because of the logo size.
Well you learn something every day, even when its your own product.