E2DL runtime with 3.7v RCR123s

Howecollc

Enlightened
I just finished two runtime trials with the E2DL on high using AW 3.7 volt RCR123 cells. The results were 61.5 minutes and 62.0 minutes at almost full output before the over-discharge PCB kicked in. I had previously guestimated my runtime to be around 40 minutes, so this was a surprise. It is particularly hard to judge runtime based on everyday use with this light, because it's not the type of light that you leave running for 15-20 minutes at a time; at least I don't.

I only went thru the one original set of primaries included with the light before switching to RCRs, and therefore don't have much of an idea of runtime on CR123s. Looking around here on CPF, it seems that one should expect about 90 minutes on CR123s before output starts dropping sharply.

My mathematical estimate of runtime using AW 3.0v LiFePO4s in the E2DL yields a figure right around 36 minutes, although I don't have any LiFePOs to verify this. If anyone has done an actual runtime test on 3.0v LiFePO4s or on any of the Tenergy or other brand 3.0v LiCo cells with built in voltage regulation, that information would be much appreciated.

Please don't weigh in here with opinions regarding the suitability of using 3.7v RCRs with the E2DL. This has been discussed many other places, and there is no concrete proof that their use is harmful to the light. There are many people using that configuration with success, and so far only one person mentioning having had a problem. For those still concerned about the additional voltage of the 3.7v RCRs, using 3.0v RCRs would be the absolute safest option for the E2DL, if one can live with the reduced runtime.

My purpose in posting this thread is to give hard runtime numbers to those considering the various rechargeable options. I would be pleased if anyone would like to add their own results.

Runtime figures for Surefire E2DL on high:

2 x Surefire CR123 / 90 minutes till noticeable drop in output
2 x AW 3.7v RCR123 750 mAH / 62 minutes at almost full output till PCB shuts down
2 x AW 3.0v LiFePO4 R123 500mAH / 36 minutes (estimated)

Last edited:

1996alnl

Enlightened
Wow!
60+ min on AW RCR's. I use both Tenergy 3V LiFePO4's and AW RCR123's in my E2DL.
I've done runtime tests in the past with the Tenergy cells and came up with about 40 min until it went dark.
Never tested the AW's..now i will.

Last edited:

steveG

Enlightened
Howecollc;2869945[FONT=Verdana said:
My mathematical estimate of runtime using AW 3.0v LiFePO4s in the E2DL yields a figure right around 36 minutes, although I don't have any LiFePOs to verify this. If anyone has done an actual runtime test on 3.0v LiFePO4s or on any of the Tenergy or other brand 3.0v LiCo cells with built in voltage regulation, that information would be much appreciated.[/font]

I have The Tenergy 3.0v LiFePO4 batteries... That sound about right.

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering if AW 3.7V RCR is refer to 16340 on AW Thread on CPFMP. If it so, how the 16340 end up with 3.7 volt? as i know fully charged Li-Ion will be arround 4.1 - 4.2 volt?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering if AW 3.7V RCR is refer to 16340 on AW Thread on CPFMP. If it so, how the 16340 end up with 3.7 volt? as i know fully charged Li-Ion will be arround 4.1 - 4.2 volt?
The nominal rating is 3.7v correct. When fully charged it is 4.1 to 4.2v.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Howecollc,

Does the E2DL gets very hot when running for that long a period? I am curious to know. Don't own an E2DL but am thinking of running the LX2 on two AW RCR 123. So far I have tried with no problems but dare not run it for prolonged period.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice to know! and thanks!

im running my E2DL on aw lifepo4 500mah. but one of the cells always depletes much faster than the other, and maybe cutting my runtimes even shorter. I think im getting to the point to putting 2x li-ion instead.
but ive noticed the un-even power draw even when using primaries. and ive put at least 10 sets of primaries before getting the lifepo4.

Ive been meaning to do a runtime test, just so I know what im getting from these AW lifepo4. got a day off tomorrow:thumbsup:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. I got my first Li-Ions (Tenergy '3v' blue label 900 maH) to use in my A2s, but have been afraid to put them in my E2DL or E2L. I'm still reluctant, but it's very nice to read about some people sharing their experience with this.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
just realize this is a thread revival! LOL

ok, so I did a runtime test on my E2DL with AW 500mah LiFepo4.
test was done in a cup of water with about an inch worth of water for cooling.

results: 32 minutes until noticable drop in output on high.
1 cell measured 3.1v the other cell measured less than 2.7v afterwards. I think I should replace that 1 cell, because the voltage on it always drops way below the other cell. But Im not liking these lifepo4s much anyways, especially if i can get 1 hour on 2x rcr123a li-ion.

Last edited:

steveG

Enlightened
I had one of my LifePo4 batteries lay down on me too. I charged it separately and it came back and has been working fine for a couple months now. I do only use it in a single-cell light now, though.

Somewhere I read that the E2DL (I'm sure other similar lights too) drained one battery more than the other. I don't know how this affects the LifePo4 cells.

Latest posts