Milkyspit Gossamer Review

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I received a new light from Milky, the Gossamer. I dont know everything about it, but I am learning. I will share with you folks what I know.

What is it?

The Gossamer started out as a stock KL4 Surefire head. Milky took it into his lab and gutted it of its outdated power hungry 5W emitter and its stock electronics. He replaced the emitter with a Cree MCE, bin code KWF. He replaced the electronics with his acorn 1.3 driver, Califon firmware. The 1.3 means it is driven at 1.3A on full power. BTW on 2 IMR's on high you get about 625 lumens for 25 minutes then a 10 minute gradual fall.

The beauty in this light is the low mode. The drawback to most MCE/P7 lights is low mode is always too damn bright. Not with this one. Ultralow is 2 lumens! Thats right ultra low is 1/4 as bright as a Arc AAA. It also has a 5 day runtime, and that is conservative.

I discarded the stock body and tailcap and put the head on a clipped and flared Aleph 2 cell body I had laying around. To top it off, I put a shrouded Aleph tailcap on in that houses a McClicky switch.

Milky reccomends to run this light on 2 x IMR R123's. 3 Primaries will also work to, for you anti-rechargable guys.

OK, how does it work?

Milky's board is just sweet. There are 3 different modes, and 2 drives.

By two drives, I mean regular and mizer. To switch these drives tap the TC 40ish (Doesnt have to be exact, hows he do that?) times. (It takes 10 seconds)

Mizer mode reduces current to the emitter by 6 times! But our eyes only see half the difference. Holy runtime batman! Ultra low stays the same, with its 5 day runtime on 2 IMR's.

OK, onto the modes. Each mode has 4 brightness levels, strobe is counted as a level. To get from mode to mode you need to tap the tailcap 20ish times. The three modes are tactical, theatre, and memory.

To get from level to level just click the TC in succession within .5 seconds or so.

Reference

Tap= pressing TC without clicking
Click= Clicking the TC

Tactical Mode

Light comes on in high mode everytime from off, which I already mentioned, is 625 lumens. The next level is a 625 lumen strobe, which is the perfect Mhz IMO. So from off you would tap then click on to latch to strobe. Then next level is low then ultra low.

Theatre mode

Light always comes on in ultra low mode. Everytime. I keep it on this mode. If you wanted to go to high, you would tap tap tap click. I cant tell you enough how much I love the ultra low.

Memory mode

It remembers your last mode used, would be great for camping. tap tap tap then click whatever level you want to leave it on.

Thats pretty much it, Milky said there is beacon mode and locator flash also, but I havent figured it out yet.

I love this light the beams is nice and floody, and on high it has enough throw to get by on. It lights up my bat house 200 feet off my porch with no problem.

Onto the pics!

Gossamer011.jpg

Gossamer010.jpg

Gossamer009.jpg

Gossamer006.jpg

Gossamer005.jpg

Gossamer001.jpg

Last edited:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man that is one sweet set-up! I really love the interface on that light, very nice having a superb high with a good usable low. This just remind me why I need to get some lights out to Milky for him to work his magic :grin2:

I notice most everyone uses KL4's for the MC-E/P7 swaps. Is there any particular reason? Just wondering if you could get the same results if you started with an older KL1 head?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's one of the nicest uses of an MC-E yet. You are one lucky guy. Thanks for the nice review and photos..... I'll look forward to some beamshots!

XD9

Enlightened
I am waiting on one of this builds my self.
I send in a E2DL :D
Cant wait!

Seiko

Newly Enlightened
Got to love the p7 or MC-e in a E body.
Especially with the run time of DAYS!!

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
That seems like a perfect light to carry. Milky does such great work. The level of performance from two rcr123 type cells is amazing.

1dash1

Enlightened
I received my L4 Gossamer-mod from Milkyspit on Monday.

Here are a few beamshots. Distance from camera to garage door was 15 feet. Height of garage door is 8 feet, ceiling height is 9 feet. Door color is a light slate blue. Photos taken with Canon Powershot S3IS, manual mode, f2.7, 1/10th of a second.

.. . ...
Gossamer _ Ultra-Low ......Gossamer _ Low . .... .... Gossamer _ Medium ..........Gossamer _ High
Note: Super-low is much lower... Low beam barely registers in
than the lowest setting on the .. this photo because the beam
120P. .....................................is so floody.

. .. ..
Gssmer _ Mizer Ultra-Low ..Gssmer _ Mizer Low .......Gssmer _ Mizer Medium ....Gssmer _ Mizer High

I've included a few pictures of other lights that readers might be familiar with for comparison purposes.

You may click on the thumbnails to see the full-sized image. All photos were taken with the same camera settings.

.. .
ED-P72 _ Low ...................ED-P72 _ Medium ........... ED-P72 _ High

MTE SSC P7 _ Low..............MTE SSC P7 _ High

Olight Infinitum _ High

.. ..
Haiku _ Low...................Haiku _ Medium...............Haiku _ High

Aeon _ Low....................Aeon _ High

.. ..
120P _ Low....................120P _ Medium....................120P _ High

.. . .
Bitz _ Low......................Bitz _ Medium...................Bitz _ High

.. ..
Ra 100tw _ Low................Ra 100tw _ Medium............Ra 100tw _ High

And here are a few shots done at f4.0, 1/30th of a second shutter speed, that might be a little more helpful in differentiating which beams are brighter. All lights set at maximum output:

.. ..
ED-P72..........................Gossamer........................MTE SSC P7

Infinitum.........................Haiku

.. ..
th_Bitz.jpg
Aeon..............................120P.............................Bitz .............................100tw

Note: By my eye when doing a ceiling bounce test, it seemed to me that the overall output levels took the following precedence: ED-P72, Gossamer, MTE SSC P7, Infinitum, Haiku, Aeon, 120P, Bitz, 100tw. The ED-P72 was, by far, the brightest and fully lived up to its advertised 900 lumen rating. The Gossamer and MTE were pretty close to each other in brightness. A step below that were the Infinitum and Haiku (the Haiku's output matched up quite well with the Infinitum). The total output of the Aeon, 120P, Bitz, and 100tw were very similar - IMO, the differences in tint and beam pattern were more significant than the difference in brightness.

Above, shows the lights that were compared in this shoot.
Bottom row: Epsilon ED-P72, Novatac 120P, HDS Ra 100tw, SureFire L4 Gossamer.
Top row: MTE SSC P7, McGizmo Haiku, Olight Infinitum, Bitz, Muyshondt Aeon.

Last edited:

1dash1

Enlightened
I'd like to point out that the Gossamer (high), the MTE SSC P7 (high) and the ED-P72 (medium) have roughly about the same total output. However, the beams differ greatly:

Gossamer _ High.

32MTEP7Hi.jpg

MTE SSC P7 _ High

ED-P72 _ Medium

Last edited:

1dash1

Enlightened
Theatre mode

Light always comes on in ultra low mode. Everytime. I keep it on this mode. If you wanted to go to high, you would tap tap tap click. I cant tell you enough how much I love the ultra low.
PoliceScannerMan:

Agreed. This is my favorite mode. When I turn it on, I know what I'm getting. If I want something else, it's very easy to cycle through.

Scott tuned my ultra-low down to what is easily 1/4th the output from my 120P's lowest setting. (Because of the way our eyes perceive output, my guess is that it is probably more on the order of 1/10th the output!) I'd say it's no brighter than moonlight from a half-moon. Even at that ultra-low setting, it's amazingly useful. :grin2:
Thats pretty much it, Milky said there is beacon mode and locator flash also, but I havent figured it out yet.
This is how Scott set up the Califon firmware for me:
  • In the tactical UI, click on defaults to High.
  • Tap-click for Strobe.
  • Tap-tap-click for Medium.
  • Tap-tap-tap-click for Low.
  • Tap-tap-tap-tap-click for Ultra Low.
  • Tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-click for Beacon/Locator.
It's somewhat of an odd beacon/locator. It is constantly on in the ultra low output and periodically flashes.

The flashes are so slow that if you don't wait long enough, you'll think that you accidentally switched to the Ultra Low mode (if the ambient conditions are dark enough) or you'll think that you switched it off somehow (if you're messing around with the flashlight during daylight or in a well-lit room). The net result is that you turn off the flashlight or switch to another level.

You could easily have been in and out of the beacon/locator flash mode without knowing it! :candle:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man that is one sweet set-up! I really love the interface on that light, very nice having a superb high with a good usable low. This just remind me why I need to get some lights out to Milky for him to work his magic :grin2:

I notice most everyone uses KL4's for the MC-E/P7 swaps. Is there any particular reason? Just wondering if you could get the same results if you started with an older KL1 head?

Strauss, I can't speak for anyone else but I chose the KL4 for use with an MC-E because SureFire designed the reflector for the Luxeon V, another quad-chip emitter... that led me to believe it could handle focusing the MC-E reasonably well, and after some machining to fit things properly, it does indeed seem to do nicely... not perfect, but surprisingly good for such a small reflector. That said, I've already put together MC-E builds in other heads and have several more slated for completion in the near future!

It's somewhat of an odd beacon/locator. It is constantly on in the ultra low output and periodically flashes.

The flashes are so slow that if you don't wait long enough, you'll think that you accidentally switched to the Ultra Low mode (if the ambient conditions are dark enough) or you'll think that you switched it off somehow (if you're messing around with the flashlight during daylight or in a well-lit room). The net result is that you turn off the flashlight or switch to another level.

You could easily have been in and out of the beacon/locator flash mode without knowing it! :candle:

The reason the 'Califon' firmware isn't standard on the Acorn yet, but rather exists only as a user-requested customization, is that it's not yet feature complete. The locator blink was not designed as a distinct mode... it was designed to engage after a period of flashlight inactivity, to save battery power while still showing where the flashlight is in the dark. Since the timeout code isn't yet implemented, I wanted at least to provide a way to activate the locator manually.

1dash1

Enlightened
I purchased the L4 from CPF member M I K on the CPF Marketplace and had him ship it directly to Milkyspit in New Jersey. Meanwhile, I had made arrangements with Scott (Milkyspit), to do the mod.

Scott was very easy to communicate with by e-mail. He seemed in tune with what I had in mind and offered up some suggestions for tweaking the basic Gossamer set-up. He advised me that turnaround time would be approximately 3 weeks.

Three weeks later, right on schedule, I received a phone call from Scott advising me that the mod was done. He briefed me on the features and interface, spending quite a lot of time on the phone to ensure that I would be happy with the all the details.

During the telephone conversation, I mentioned that I found most tactical strobes to be of little value. Scott wanted to re-work the UI for me, but I assured him that that wouldn't be necessary. His UI would work fine for me as is, I just wouldn't use the strobe. Scott grudgingly said okay, but if I ever want to have it re-done, just ship it back to him and he would make it right. He dropped it off at the post office at 9 p.m. that night!

The package was delivered to me on Monday. I eagerly tore open the package, inserted two IMR16340's and tested it out.

I was initially impressed not so much by the high output, but by the ultra-low lows.

When compared against my 120P, I found that the superlow was much lower than the 120P's lowest setting. It seemed at least 4 times dimmer. The Gossamer at 3 inches away from the wall was roughly the same brightness as the 120P at 6 inches away from the wall. That's just light intensitiy. It was also illuminating a smaller area. So, the superlow output, in my opinion, was considerably less than the 120P's lowest setting.

It is a whisper of a light - wonderfully soft and useful for everything from checking alarm clock settings, to navigating around a pitch dark house at night, to tactical stealth operations. During the day, it is of no value, you can't even distinguish whether the light is on unless it is held an inch away from the target (two inches away and you can't tell that it's on!) or unless you peer directly at the glow of the LED.

Note: The Mizer mode's superlow is even lower than the regular mode's superlow, but the difference is hardly noticeable except when tested against a fixed (low) reference light source. Otherwise, in casual use, they subjectively seem alike.

Of course, the Gossamer's main feature is its high output. In a confined space, like a room, it lights up nearly everything in it with a wall of light.

The above photos don't do justice to how bright the output really is. The camera settings were set for the purpose of comparing some very bright flashlights, not for the purpose of representing how well the eye perceives the illumination. If you examine the photos of the hotspot of the low (approximately 10 lumen) settings of the Bitz, 120P, and Ra 100tw; you'll see that the SPILL from the Gossamer high mode is brighter than those hotspots. It takes a lot of lumens to illuminate that large of an area.

The Gossamer does get hot when running on max. Holding it by hand, the head was basically untouchable after 5 minutes. Another minute later and my hand was beginning to get uncomfortably warm while gripping the body. At that point, I changed to a lower output mode.

In practical use, I've found that the Gossamer is great for use at night for anything and everything within 100 feet. It's like my uber-useful Gerber Ultra Infinity on steroids plus a user interface that let's me dial in the output from super-low to super-high! I don't have anything that can touch the Gossamer for versatility.

I originally purchased the Gossamer as a backup having a lot of firepower, if needed. Now that I've seen what it can do, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the light. It's just too damn useful not to be used as a primary light! Who knows? Maybe this will end up as my bedside light, because of the wonderfully sublime superlow output.

All I can say is that the more I use it, the more I find uses for it. It's a true marvel to behold! Thank you Scott, well done!!! :twothumbs

A word of caution to those who may have an interest in pursuing this modification. The Gossamer is not a thrower. Although it has an effective range well beyond 200 feet, there are many flashlights with tighter beams that are much better suited for such tasks.

Edwood

Enlightened
PSM, did you have to chance to compare the Gossamer to the MJP 15-3 Ostar when you had it?

-Ed

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
PSM, did you have to chance to compare the Gossamer to the MJP 15-3 Ostar when you had it?

-Ed

15-3 was brighter for sure, but the levels were real close together on the 15-3.

The Goss brings real world utility to the action iwth the wide, perfect spacing of the levels, hence me selling the 15-3 upon receipt of my Goss. :thumbsup:

MarkIAlbert

Newly Enlightened

Milky did a Gossamer for me using a KL1 head with an MCE-MWD bin. Clear Reflector. The engineering in the head is a piece of art. My favorite milky-mod yet (I also have a Creemator, Boxster, P60-drop in and a Gotham).

I haven't played with all the different modes yet, but yes, the ultra-low is awesome. So is the strobe. The high power is sick bright.

If you think about it, the original L4 was intended as a wall of light with a relatively short run time. With the Gossamer, Scott Clawson took that idea and max'd it out.

Great Job, Scott.