Anyone use 3 LiFePO4 RCR123A 3.0V w/Malkoff M60???????

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to purchase LiFePO4 RCR123A 3.0V to run 3 of them in a Surefire 9P set-up, but I want to know if anyone has been using these with success in a Malkoff M60 which can run 3 primaries.

If 3 fresh primaries can potentially have 9.6v @3.2v eachwhen fresh. (I read this from the E2DL thread going on).

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Running the M60 w/ 2x17500 will give the same output as what you're suggesting, but literally double the runtime (edit: somewhere between double and triple now that I think about it) as 3x3.0v rcr123's, in the same package, and giving you only two cells to handle & charge. Highly recommended by Mdocod, our resident rechargeable configuration expert. You don't get any additional output since the M60 regulates down to it's preferred voltage anyway, and the 3.0v rcr123's have very very poor energy density overall.

My main use light is the C3/M60/2x17500 for about 2 hours of runtime, just about the perfect Malkoff configuration, at least for me.

My two lumens,
K

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Running the M60 w/ 2x17500 will give the same output as what you're suggesting, but literally double the runtime as 3x3.0v rcr123's, in the same package, and giving you only two cells to handle & charge. Highly recommended by Mdocod, our resident rechargeable configuration expert. You don't get any additional output since the M60 regulates down to it's preferred voltage anyway, and the 3.0v 123's have very very poor energy density overall.

My main use light is the C3/M60/2x17500 for about 2 hours of runtime, just about the perfect Malkoff configuration, at least for me.

My two lumens,
K

Thanks,
I was reading here how some members claim the M60 with 3 primaries gets warm as opposed to just 2 cr123 3.7v rechargeables. I figured it must be making more lumens at 9v then 8.4v.

I have used the M60 in 2 18650 hosts and like it very much. I was just curious about feeding the M60 a full 9v without killing it by going over a bit.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Don't bother, total waste of time and money.

Even if it did wind up over-driving it by feeding more voltage than the driver can handle, you wouldn't be able to SEE the difference anyways. Why abuse a perfectly good M60 with a lousy configuration option?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thanks,
I was reading here how some members claim the M60 with 3 primaries gets warm as opposed to just 2 cr123 3.7v rechargeables. I figured it must be making more lumens at 9v then 8.4v.
The thing is that under load, the voltage of 3v primaries sags to ~2.5 volts = ~7.5 volts for 3 cells in series.
4.2v LiIons deliver 3.7 volts under load = ~7.4 volts for two cells in series. That's why 2x17500 is perfect for a three-cell host and any "9 volt" 'three cell' bulb or LED drop-in.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
Also, just because something is making more heat with more input voltage does not mean that it is going to be any brighter, it's very possible that there is just more heat from the regulator with a larger gap between input and output voltage...

I should note, that in the case of the M60, and most other buck regulated LEDs, this is not likely the case as the type of regulation usually found there will generally operate at very high efficiency across it's usable range. (~99%)