RofisLight        

Thread: How long are your actual runtimes?

Flashaholic*

Default How long are your actual runtimes?

Runtime is important to most of us, and the longer, the better. Many lights boast of days worth of runtime, but how many of us actually use it? I realize that for many of us, runtime is a cumulative amount of time. Five minutes here, ten minutes there, to add up to a total runtime that is hopefully near what is advertised.

But how long is your average time of each use with your lights? For me, it's usually no more than 5 minutes, probably 2 or 3 minutes actually, per each time I use one of my lights.

Also, what is the longest single amount of time you've used a light? *Not including runtime testing, just for actual use* I think my longest has been about 30 minutes or so.
    Aren't flashlights cool?
    Carry a flashlight, and you'll have a bright future.

Default Re: How long are your actual runtimes?

10 hours in a single time.

Okay, I was using the NDI with a diffuser cap on low for a nightlight in an unfamiliar room. Is that cheating?

Real use (during which I was conscious the entire time and using it), about 6 hours for caving.

About like you, Ed. A few minutes here and there on average for normal use. Sometimes I'll set up a small light, like my old Fenix E0, with a diffuser as a table light while I'm listening to the radio for an hour or two. Lately I've been using a Photon Rex for reading in bed for maybe 30 min.

Geoff

Most times are only a few minutes but few last fall I used a modded SSC P4 Mag for 6-7 hours straight while replacing lightning damaged switchgear and transformers in a powerless room, our generator died about an hour into the job so our worklights where useless.

Any day I'm out riding after or near dark, some light sees duty for 10 minutes or more as a bike headlamp -- the longest nocturnal ride I can think of was about 30 to 40 minutes, but that's not horribly unusual. (It's always nice to get back on the same batteries, but I'm only counting one way.)

Growing up, certain female relatives would habitually go on long walks as "exercise", sometimes after-dark with flashlights, which would be in the half-hour to hour range, but I always found cycling (fast!) a more efficient and pleasant form of exercise, and Mom wouldn't let me ride after dark. These days, I just don't have time to ride for fun.

Longest I've ever continuously used a flashlight -- over an hour, I'd guess; several wintry occasions involving being snowed in, getting a truck unstuck, or some combination, seem like rivals for this, but I wasn't really timing any of them. Nothing over a half-hour since I moved out, though, and most day-to-day use is <30 seconds, here and there, with occasional 10-minute or so task-lighting use.

Flashaholic*

Since Earth Hour is coming up later this month, I just remembered that during last year's Earth Hour, I used a Mag 4D modded with 32 5mm LEDs for just over an hour to light up my living room.
    Aren't flashlights cool?
    Carry a flashlight, and you'll have a bright future.

Anybody here go for nighttime walks? I often go for a late evening walk for up to an hour and a half, and because of the ambient lighting here on the edge of town, I need my M60 on full brightness to make sure that motorists notice me. My first long walk with my M60 and I was suprised how much consideration that turning cars repeatedly showed to me, and I kept my flashlight shined down respectfully the whole time.

Thank goodness I haven't had to dress out a moose all night like my brother has. Wait. That would be a good experience, now that I think about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    10 hours in a single time.

Okay, I was using the NDI with a diffuser cap on low for a nightlight in an unfamiliar room. Is that cheating?

Real use (during which I was conscious the entire time and using it), about 6 hours for caving.

Lol. Does fooling around count? I think I spent 1hr just turning my light off/on (When i first got it).

Actual Use: About 10mins sneaking around the house at night .
    Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and higher education positively fortifies it.
    --Stephen Vizinczey

I have been using a tailstanding Surefire for a nightlight 30 min to 3-4 hours every night for 3 years. Currently using a Malkoff M60LL, prior to that a long runing R2 dropin. It is powered by a 18650.
    Plus this light ran for many hours only stopping for battery swaps during a 7 day power outage.
    I regularly use tail standing lights in place of home lighting within my home...just to try out the lights and have fun.

Flashaholic*

Day to day I use my edc about 5-15 mins at a time, usually taking the dog out. I just recharge weekly or so, and never worry about a dead battery.

Longest ever was probably sometime working in my attic, i wore a headlamp for a few hours. Wouldn't want to hold a light that long.
    List of flashlights that used to be here has been removed (by me) to save our search function. NOW USE IT.

When i go on my Night-time Walks,

i'm usually out for perhaps 2 hours.

Very dark, secluded, rural area.

Very little Light Pollution.

Nice opportunities to use my flashlights.

_

Unenlightened

Exactly as the title says - is there a program out there that can track how long my MBP is running when i run it off of battery power? As we all know the power usage varies depending on what you're doing on the computer, and I don't tend to do any one thing for hours on end. I know on my windows PC i used some program that charted on a graph power usage over time until the battery died.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Anybody here go for nighttime walks? ...
    I do -- 7 nights/week when weather permits. Not only is it good exercise, but a great opportunity to use flashlights. There are no street lights here, so my flashlight is powered on during the entire walk.
    Retired engineer, author. Running Linux.

Flashaholic*

I use headlamps for 6 or 7 hours straight on a fairly regular basis. Handheld lights... rarely more than a half hour at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by invitation View Post
    Exactly as the title says - is there a program out there that can track how long my MBP is running when i run it off of battery power? As we all know the power usage varies depending on what you're doing on the computer, and I don't tend to do any one thing for hours on end. I know on my windows PC i used some program that charted on a graph power usage over time until the battery died.

Maybe you didn't notice, but CPF is focused on flashlights and other lighting, and this thread was talking about the runtime on our flashlights, not laptops.

So, no offense, but your post seems a little... out-of-place here, and is not real likely to get a useful answer.

First of all,

Let me thank all of the reviewers for doing such great work on their reviews that I don't have to worry about conducting run time tests.Personally, I have never bothered to do a full run time test because of how I use my EDCs in short bursts so I am quite happy with all of the reviewers information on this site and the manufacturers runtimes as a guideline. The only time that I am overly concerned about runtimes is when I am backpacking and tests would do me very little good due to the fact that I change levels quite frequently and the runtime will vary on usage and no test will tell me exactly how long my light will last on a given trip. I guess that you could say that my trips backpacking are my runtime tests and each one is quite different and unique to the situation. As for spares, I carry at least two backups even on overnighters although I do cut out the ounces from time to time.
    "Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place". John Bender, The Breakfast Club

Gee, I actually took the time to fully read your post instead of a knee-jerk reaction to your title, I think I was rushing because I have a meeting to go to and I wanted to grab some lunch.

Basically 3-10 second bursts for my EDC with an occasional 3-minute runtime but my backpacking is anywhere from a few seconds to 6 hours almost exclusively with a headlamp.
    "Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place". John Bender, The Breakfast Club

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

3 hours continuous on tk11.
    then 5minute break and 2 hours intermittant after that (about 20minutes at time).

didnt hold in hand all the time. sat on shelf aimed to the lathe.

normally i need it only for 2-30seconds burst.

90% of my lighting needs i use momentary button only.

its rather rare i need to click the light on. if i do, i already know the need will last more than few seconds.

Flashaholic*

6-8hrs is typical on the caving trips I do. Up to about 10 sometimes. The more hardcore cavers go longer. I know of one group who got trapped by rising water and had to wait it out for about 72 hrs.

2-3 hrs for bicycle rides.
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

Flashaholic

I run four of my Fenix lights (L1D, LD10, 2X L0D) each night for about 3.5 hours. I use them on low and tailstanding with film canister diffusers to light my desk in the evening. They are on right now and I am using the light to see as I type this.

I've run my dual MTE P7s for up to 3 hrs continuous for biking (they run off an 18650 x 6 1s6p setup). My other lights generally get used between 1 second and 5 minutes except in the odd power outage where I ceiling bounce them on low for hours. I'm very fussy about having full batteries for some reason, if I have less than 75% charge left I feel a little uneasy even though the chance of me needing 2 hours high run time is pretty low.

my lights normally get used for 1-2 mins at a time
    when i was working as a security guard the runtimes were longer, maybe 5 - 10 mins at a time regularly, and the occasionaly 20-35min burn lighting up a broken window to help a glaziers, or door to help a locksmith

my edc lights get charged once a month, normally in the first few days of the month

the other week i did run my novatac on max for about 20 mins, as i tried to clean the inside of the pegasus digital print lab at work
    flashlight collector by day
    flashlight user by night

Enlightened

9 hours fenix l1d on low
    Inova T-3, Fenix TK10, Fenix TK11, Element k2 luxeon, LED minimag 3AA, Lowes Taskforce 2c, Fenix L1D, Fenix P2D, Fenix LD20, Fenix LD01, Fenix E01, Surefire E2DL, Eagletac P10A, Quark mini AA2

'Actual use' is a tough one, BigEd. Real world runtimes interest me, too.

I have two cases that I feel apply to your terms. They are both kind of weird but some may have use for the info anyway.
    1. Post-K Mrs Umbra and I used a Pak-Lite (turquoise LEDs) as much as four hours straight each night. FWIW we got perhaps 80 hrs from each battery, but they were all old, tired and very well used in a theatre in body mics. They were coppertops and they drained down so low that 25-30% of them actually blew their AAAAs out through the bottoms. Great performance, IMHO.
    2. A year and a half later my power (and also the power of four neighboring households) was out for ~two weeks. Post-K we had had a couple Elektro Lumens lights built specifically for long runtime. Seoul P4, MicroPuck, 6° optic, built into bombproof Blaster Jr bodies and running on 1D. They were flawless in the crunch. I stood one on it's tail in the bathroom in 'ceiling bounce mode' and never turned it off. It ran a full week straight before I needed to change out the single D cell. It lit the whole BR. I used the other one the same way in a different part of the house.

The actual runtimes of these lights are so great that there is no guilt in leaving them on 24/7 in an emergency -- and no fumbling around in the dark, either. Great investment.
    While these lights and examples are way outside anything that could be called 'normal' it would be my hope that those looking for something beyond 'normal' might find them useful.
    Last edited by Sub_Umbra; 03-11-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Daily use is generally short burts of 3- 10 seconds that probably ads up to about an hour a day.
    Longest continious use was 9 hours on a winter SAR operation.
    pelican (2)M6 2330, PM6 3330, Stealthlite 2410, (3) 2 AA Mitylite 2340, (2) 2 AAA mitylite 1900, M8 8030, Surefire 6p BOG Q5, 6pd, G2LD, E2E chrome, E2DL Inova X1 gen 2, X1 UV, X0, T2, Petzel tikka plus, Streamlight Strion

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ed View Post
    Runtime is important to most of us, and the longer, the better. Many lights boast of days worth of runtime, but how many of us actually use it? I realize that for many of us, runtime is a cumulative amount of time. Five minutes here, ten minutes there, to add up to a total runtime that is hopefully near what is advertised.

But how long is your average time of each use with your lights? For me, it's usually no more than 5 minutes, probably 2 or 3 minutes actually, per each time I use one of my lights.

Also, what is the longest single amount of time you've used a light? *Not including runtime testing, just for actual use* I think my longest has been about 30 minutes or so.

Hi Big Ed,

In the most cases it's shorter times as some minutes or so, so I think that is the average time.
    The longest actual use time has been around 2-3 hours. That was when I visited a friend and we sat in the basement listening music. The ceiling lightning didn't work. But I had my Maglite 2D with Terralux dropin with me. Standing at a speaker it shined up unto the ceiling and provided the necessary light for that moment...The batteries were not empty after that.

Regards, Patric

Flashaholic*

The longest I've ever used a light was when I went camping and drained the batteries in my Streamlight Scorpion in about an hour -- which was about the same time I realized how useless the light was for camping. But very bright and nice throw!
    Surefire 6P w Malkoff M60&M30 | Surefire C2 | Surefire E2D | Surefire E1B |Surefire LX2 | Streamlight Strion | Streamlight Microstream | Nitecore D10 | Nitecore Extreme | Fenix E01 | Jetbeam M 3

On average for my EDC light, anywhere from 5 seconds up to 5 minutes. Longest I think I've used any of my lights constant on was about 2.5 hours, while I was hiking in the woods at night.

Often I tailstand one of my lights on low while I am on the computer at night. I use the soft glow to help me see the keyboard when I type.
    EDC: Ra Clicky 100WWCn/ Muyshondt Aeon
    Other Favorites: Surefire LX2/Eagletac M2XC4/ DBS V2 1S-R2, MC-E

The longest runtime for me would be half an hour with my EX10. I use it as a bikelight when I want to visit a friend by bike in the evening. So one way is half an hour and both ways one hour so I always take a spare battery with me as it happend to me one time that the light when out on half of the back way .

rayman
    My Lights (current EDC: Foursevens Mini MkII Titanium)

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ed View Post
    But how long is your average time of each use with your lights?

Also, what is the longest single amount of time you've used a light?
    Hard to put a number on it, since it changes from one day to the next.
    I work all night, and most of my use is there. I kept track of how many times I used a light on a evening to night double shift some time ago, and think it was around 300 times. The average use was probably 2-3 seconds, though, because I regularly check and record readings from a lot of pressure gauges, thermometers, and level indicators, plus check a lot of pumps, motors, and valves. Doesn't take long to read a number, or see if a fan is running.
    Sometimes may watch equipment run for a few minutes, or even an hour at a time, plus occasionally use a light to illuminate stuff that an electrician or mechanic are working on for me.
    Realistically, I probably put ~30 minutes on a light during an average shift.

I guess my longest single use was with a headlamp in the woods. Setting up camp in the dark, gathering firewood, a trip to the river 200 yards downhill through the brush from camp to pump water, cooking, eating, etc. Much more than usual since we started a hike late, and it was dark before we got to where we wanted to camp, but probably a couple hours continuous that night.