Confusion about Ra Clicky models

wadus

Newly Enlightened
I have been putting quarters, tape, clothing, anything I can find under my left mouse button to keep myself from buying a Ra Clicky, but I just don't want to do it anymore. I have decided to take the plunge, but I have a couple questions... I know I want the flush tailcap so I can tailstand it, which means I want the Executive right? But the rest is very confusing to me. :help:

What, exactly, is the difference between the Executive and the Tactical, besides the 20 lumens and tailcap, that makes the Tactical $50 more expensive? Next, why is the regular original Clicky $20 more than the Tactical? The 20 lumens difference does not warrant a $50 price tag alone, so I am coming to you gentlemen and scholars for your advice.

Also, if you think I should go for the Tactical or original Clicky over the Executive, or vice versa, please let me know why. Thanks again!

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree this is somewhat confusing, especially to those who have not been following the Clicky since before it was availible.

First of all there are two basic groups of models, the EDC series and the Premium series. The premium lights are $50-$70 more.

The EDC series is an economy line. They do not have the same maximum output as the premium lights. The only real difference between the EDC Exec and Premium Exec is the efficiency of the emitter, that's it. The EDC Tactical and Premium tactical have different black coatings. The premium Tactical uses a more expensive and much more scratch resistant black coating.

Why is the EDC Tactical $10 more than the EDC Exec? I don't know, but It could be black coated bezel verses naked SS.

All Exec models come with a chrome plated (or some coating that looks very similar to chrome) clip. All Tactical models come with a matte black clip.

All Exec models come with a flush button, all Tactical models come with a raised button.

The Exec and Tactical models have different default brightness settings, but you can customize any Clicky model however you like.

If you want some configuration that is not one of the four basic models, you can place a custom order directly through Henry and you can mix and match parts however you like.

I hope that helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

mbassoc2003

Newly Enlightened
As far as I can make out there is a lower spec' model at 120 lumens, and a higher spec model at 140 lumens (There is also a 170 lumen model but lets not go there). Now each of the models comes in two types, one with a raised button (Tactical) and one with a flush button. Generally you are paying for the extra 20 lumens. But there is also a differnce in the paint finished between the two tactical models. The Ra Clicky Tactical (140) has a much harder black paint finish to the bezel, so it won't scratch and chip as easily. The extra $10 between non-tactical and tactical covers the additional paint finish to the bezel and the clip. That makes the Ra Clicky tactical (140) the most expensive in the range (not counting the two 170 lumen models). Also of note is that the Tactical range have a different reflector producing a narrower beam (both 170 models also have narrower beam). This means more light goes forward and there is less spill, so the thow of the light is further, but the peripheral area is darker. This is good for tactical purposes, because the perception on the receiving end is that the light is brighter (when in fact it is just more focussed).

Now, if you go directly to HDS Systems to buy your light, you can also have any light with any tail switch at no extra cost. So you can order the Ra Clicky Tactical with a flat tail cap if you wish, but only from HDS. Generally they ship out within a few days of receiving an order.

Last edited:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, yea and I forgot to mention, all Exec models are SSC P4 based, all Tactical models are OSRAM Golden Dragon based.

Henry does not publish the actual emitters he uses as he wants to retain the option of switching emitters as he sees fit, but until that day the information in the above paragraph is accurate as far as I know.

mbassoc2003

Newly Enlightened
What's the difference? And can you tell the emitters appart on visual inspection? I thought the Golden Dragons were much larger than the SSC P4s?

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Are ALL Ra Clicky models customizable or some models have limits to what settings you can set yourself?

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the difference? And can you tell the emitters appart on visual inspection? I thought the Golden Dragons were much larger than the SSC P4s?

The GD is of similar size to the P4, and they look very different, no way to mistake one for another. The two Clicky models Exec/Tac have different heat sinks that are keyed to those emitters. SSC is round OSRAM is rectangular.

Are ALL Ra Clicky models customizable or some models have limits to what settings you can set yourself?

The only limits are the EDC series cannot achieve the same maximum output as the premium lights.

m16a

Enlightened

Size wise, you have that backwards. In comparison, the Golden dragon is much smaller than the SSC P4. Also, when it comes to visual beam comparison, the Golden Dragon will have a tighter, more concentrated hotspot with a smooth transition to a slightly less bright spill. The SSC P4 will have a less concentrated, larger hotspot with a smooth transition to spill and a bright sidespill.

Unlike the previous novatac models, all models sold of the Ra Clicky are programmable to the max! :thumbsup:

Spypro

Enlightened
Quick question here: I'm confused about the minimum ouput of the EDC Executive, is it 0.08 or 0.07 ? Thanks !

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Oh, yea and I forgot to mention, all Exec models are SSC P4 based, all Tactical models are OSRAM Golden Dragon based.

Henry does not publish the actual emitters he uses as he wants to retain the option of switching emitters as he sees fit, but until that day the information in the above paragraph is accurate as far as I know.
Is that true? I thought you could order whichever emitter you wanted with either Exec or Tac default programming.

Actually I know that's true, but I just noticed WHEN you made that comment. I believe it was before custom ordering was available -- so the statement WAS correct. Kinda makes my post above out of place too. This is an older thread that was recently revived. My bad.

oldpal

Enlightened
I have a Ra EDC Exec, aka Ra 120E. For $99 you can't beat it. I have not had any problems with it and am very pleased with it. In my opinion, the additional 20 lumens is not very important. However, you will be happy with whichever Ra Clicky you get.

Hugh

callmaster

Enlightened
Confusing? Heheh

Very much so unless you've been following the Ra Lights thread. With all the custom jobs, you can pretty much have anything in any model.

But the ones sold from dealers are the standard Ra Clicky 140 (Tactical;narrow beam and Executive;wide beam) and the Ra Clicky EDC 120 (Tactical;narrow beam and Executive;wide beam).

Tactical versions come with coated bezels.

That's about it.

If you're looking for more info, visit the site and check out the custom light page. There are explanations there for each option (emitter, bezel, switch)

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have any beam shots of the throw difference between the narrower tactical beam and the executive beam? I want to place an order right now, but I want to be certain on what I am getting. Is the 20% difference really a noticeable difference to the naked eye?