PK Design Lab
Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: Coleman Quad Lantern

  1. #1
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    114

    Default Coleman Quad Lantern

    Just checked out the new Coleman Quad Lantern. Sweet design, but the output was too blue for my taste.

    Wonder if Blacklight could comment here on what LEDs are used in this light?
    I notice in Coleman's promotional material and online video, the LEDs look very neutral white, except for a three second shot of a girl holding one of the panels in a kitchen where you see the same blue color I experienced.

    Are these white when fully charged and blue as the batteries weaken or are we seeing a pre-production version with better LEDs in the promotional video?

    Coleman Quad Lantern
    Last edited by luminiferous; 03-11-2009 at 08:55 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    While the detachable module idea seems neat at first, anybody that actually has kids, (rather than rents them an advertising agency), would find them being lost or missing in short time First thing I would do is epoxy the darn things so they can't be removed otherwise I'd find them floating in the lake, tied to the dog, stuck in a tree, etc.

    Good point about light color.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    Does anyone know when this lantern is going to be released? I saw this video quite some time ago, but haven't heard anything since.

    I'm also interested in the 4X Cree 580 lumen Coleman Lantern as well.

    http://flashlightnews.org/story1547.shtml

    Lowes carries a 2x Cree 390 lumen lantern that looks pretty nice as well, and I saw a new Coleman 8D Cree Lantern the other day at Dickssportingoods as well. It has the same output/runtime as the 8D Family lantern that is sold at Walmart, but the beam is very smooth and diffused, and there aren't any bars to cause artifacts.

    I'm just waiting for these items to be added to the Coleman.com website.

  4. #4
    Flashaholic* LEDAdd1ct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hudson Valley
    Posts
    3,086

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    That 4x Cree Coleman looks *nice*. Man, that thing must be insanely bright on high; I'd search out someone to load that up with 5A Q3s and I am fairly certain I would be in lantern heaven!

    I think I will be giving Coleman a ring tomorrow...If (when) I do, I'll post their answer in the appropriate thread.
    Last edited by LEDAdd1ct; 03-15-2009 at 09:35 PM.
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

  5. #5
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    114

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    Quote Originally Posted by adirondackdestroyer View Post
    Does anyone know when this lantern is going to be released?
    They're available online at retailers. Should have been more clear. I actually opened the box, and turned it on at a Canadian Tire store. US retailers will definitely have them since Canada gets damn near everything after the US, and they're available from the Coleman Store at this link

    On the quad CREE lantern, I would give Coleman a call or email them (which does take quite some time for a response usually). Since it's an improvement on this lantern it might have the same product model number 2000001147 and the 2 CREE model will be discontinued, but Coleman or Blacklight can answer that question definitively.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    Coleman used to make things that stood the test of time.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    Quote Originally Posted by LEDAdd1ct View Post
    That 4x Cree Coleman looks *nice*. Man, that thing must be insanely bright on high; I'd search out someone to load that up with 5A Q3s and I am fairly certain I would be in lantern heaven!

    I think I will be giving Coleman a ring tomorrow...If (when) I do, I'll post their answer in the appropriate thread.
    This lantern has Q3's, moving to Q4 this fall.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    Quote Originally Posted by luminiferous View Post
    Just checked out the new Coleman Quad Lantern. Sweet design, but the output was too blue for my taste.

    Wonder if Blacklight could comment here on what LEDs are used in this light?
    I notice in Coleman's promotional material and online video, the LEDs look very neutral white, except for a three second shot of a girl holding one of the panels in a kitchen where you see the same blue color I experienced.

    Are these white when fully charged and blue as the batteries weaken or are we seeing a pre-production version with better LEDs in the promotional video?

    Coleman Quad Lantern
    yeah the video was made from a preproduction part. the LEDs are 5MM Cotco LEDs. On the color changing, my guess is as the voltage drops maybe they are getting bluish? I will have my guyys do some tests and see if we see the same thing.


    I wan't to appologize to everyone for being VERY slow on responding. I have picked up a bunch of added responsibilities, so I have been very lax on popping over here to answer questions. I have a new Product Manager for this category, I will talk to him abotu signing up here and making sure he keeps an eye out for any questions.

    Darin
    Director, Hardlines Marketing
    The Coleman Company

  9. #9

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    Quote Originally Posted by luminiferous View Post
    They're available online at retailers. Should have been more clear. I actually opened the box, and turned it on at a Canadian Tire store. US retailers will definitely have them since Canada gets damn near everything after the US, and they're available from the Coleman Store at this link

    On the quad CREE lantern, I would give Coleman a call or email them (which does take quite some time for a response usually). Since it's an improvement on this lantern it might have the same product model number 2000001147 and the 2 CREE model will be discontinued, but Coleman or Blacklight can answer that question definitively.

    The 580 lumen version is the 2000001808, I will see how quickly we can get it up on the web so that you can get the Friends and Family Discount.

  10. #10
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    114

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
    The 580 lumen version is the 2000001808, I will see how quickly we can get it up on the web so that you can get the Friends and Family Discount.
    Thanks Darin. Always a pleasure.

  11. #11
    Flashaholic* LEDAdd1ct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hudson Valley
    Posts
    3,086

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    Quote Originally Posted by LEDAdd1ct View Post
    That 4x Cree Coleman looks *nice*. Man, that thing must be insanely bright on high; I'd search out someone to load that up with 5A Q3s and I am fairly certain I would be in lantern heaven!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
    This lantern has Q3's, moving to Q4 this fall.
    Not just Q3, 5A Q3. I was saying that the 4x Cree lantern with a warmer 5A tint would be killer in my book. Personal tint preference can (and probably will) vary.
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

  12. #12

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    I agree....but woulnd't this cost lumens over the cooler tints? You know...that marketing stuff.

  13. #13
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    114

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    Quote Originally Posted by blasterman View Post
    I agree....but woulnd't this cost lumens over the cooler tints? You know...that marketing stuff.
    Yes. You are correct and I saw that Darin mentioned that in another post concerning availability of warmer spiral fluorescent bulbs for Coleman lanterns.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
    Sorry to say probably not possible. Those bulbs have a proprietary base, and we don't plan on developing more/new fluorescent as the market is shifting so quickly to LED, and it is much easier to get a Warmer Light out of an LED. we are going to be doing some consumer testing to see if consumers really want a warmer light, and if they do the best way to communicate it. We actually sell a warm white LED lantern in Japan right now, but I am not 100% convinced that the consumer is ready to give up 15% of their light for a warmer light (though I think LED performance is getting close to where it will be easier to justify).

    D

  14. #14

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    The Coleman 4x Cree 580 lumen lantern is now on the website, here it is:

    http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...ategoryid=1045

    The only problem is that it is currently back ordered. I have already contacted Blacklight about this, so please don't bother him with anymore PM's. I'll post again after I get his response.

  15. #15
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    114

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    Quote Originally Posted by adirondackdestroyer View Post
    The Coleman 4x Cree 580 lumen lantern is now on the website, here it is:

    http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...ategoryid=1045

    The only problem is that it is currently back ordered. I have already contacted Blacklight about this, so please don't bother him with anymore PM's. I'll post again after I get his response.
    Nice!
    I like the retro logo.

    "Light Like Natural Daylight"

    Would love to see a flared globe for this lantern.


    BTW Darin, you should probably ask your web admin to add it under "New for 2009 Lighting" as well.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    There should be a similar version using SLA battery with a built-in circuit so it can just be plugged in for charging. D batteries (especially NiMH) are very expensive to run on

  17. #17
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    114

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    Quote Originally Posted by NickBose View Post
    There should be a similar version using SLA battery with a built-in circuit so it can just be plugged in for charging. D batteries (especially NiMH) are very expensive to run on
    Yes, I tend to agree with this, but sealed lead acid are slow to charge with a transformer unless you have a sophisticated fast charger (expensive) and they are even slower to charge at lower vehicle voltages. They also require regular maintinance charging or their efficency suffers and it's hazardous to overcharge them.

    For lower power lanterns, I really like using AA to D adapters with 2000 mAh or better NiMH. Even if the run time is shorter, it's long enough for a few nights. If they do run down, it's easy to just throw them in the charger and they're ready in 2 hours. I always have spares.

    Since the average price for 8 alkaline D batteries is around $16, this combo pack doesn't seem like such a bad deal. Use your CPF discount code (cpf2006) and you'll get 5% off your order. Plus it's a good excuse to pick up some extra goodies while you're at it.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    Quote Originally Posted by luminiferous View Post
    Nice!
    I like the retro logo.

    "Light Like Natural Daylight"

    Would love to see a flared globe for this lantern.


    BTW Darin, you should probably ask your web admin to add it under "New for 2009 Lighting" as well.
    anybody find this on amazon yet? What is the best AA battery led lantern coleman makes?

  19. #19
    Thread Killer Illum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Central Florida, USA
    Posts
    12,522

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    hmmm....
    I hope those Q3s have something metal to stand on...not plastic under those stars

  20. #20

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    What's the update on this Lantern??? Does anybody currently have it instock and available for purchase right now? .. I've got a camping trip planned for the weekend of the 16th and 17th and would like to have it by then if possible (Still showing out of stock until the 15th on Coleman's site )

    Thanks,
    Rick

  21. #21

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    Quote Originally Posted by WERNER1 View Post
    What's the update on this Lantern??? Does anybody currently have it instock and available for purchase right now? .. I've got a camping trip planned for the weekend of the 16th and 17th and would like to have it by then if possible (Still showing out of stock until the 15th on Coleman's site )

    Thanks,
    Rick
    I called not too long ago, and the lady at Coleman said that Bassproshops carry it. If you don't have one of those nearby you're going to have to play the waiting game (as I am) until the 15th of May.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    Went on Coleman's site today to order the lantern,.. and there's no "Add To Cart" option now, or anything that says anything about out of stock until 5/15 either ????


  23. #23
    Flashaholic* LEDAdd1ct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Hudson Valley
    Posts
    3,086

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    I believe there may be some confusion going on here. There is a "Coleman Quad" LED lantern, with four panels that pop out, and there is a "Coleman Twin" LED lantern with four LEDs in two tubes. This thread has wandered off the original lantern/topic into the "Twin" lantern.

    The original poster of this thread, luminiferous, posted a link to the *Quad* lantern, with the removal panels. Ostensibly, that is the topic of the thread. However, the topic wandered (I am in part guilty of this) to the newer version of the "Twin" lantern, with two tubes and four LEDs. That lantern has its own separate thread now. There are two versions of this lantern: one with two LEDs, one in each tube, which is in stock and available for purchase with posted price, and the *newer* version with four LEDs, which is not in stock and does not have a price posted.

    I hope this clears up some of the confusion.
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

  24. #24

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    The ads for the Coleman Quad Lantern look appealing but for general area lighting outside I'm not sure that this lantern fits the bill. I saw a video review of the lantern being used at night. It seems to illuminate only about 1 to 2 feat around the person using it. It didn't seem to do a great job at dispersing light around it at all. The video is at http://camping-lanterns.net/lantern_videos.htmlTake a look.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    Quote Originally Posted by tritan View Post
    anybody find this on amazon yet?
    Here are the lanterns discussed above for reference found on Amazon.


    Coleman LED Quad Lantern


    Coleman Twin LED Lantern
    (Non High Performance 2 Cree)



    Coleman 8D Twin LED Lantern
    (High Performance 4 Cree)



    Coleman 4D XPS LED Duo Lantern

  26. #26

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    I have both the LED Quad lantern and the 4D XPS LED Duo lantern.

    Both are great! I did have a problem with the first LED Quad I got. Two of the four LED panels began to 'lose' LEDs. That is the LEDs wouldn't light. A few lit but were much weaker than the others. When installed on the base and working off four new
    "D"s, they would all light. I contacted Coleman and it was exchanged without any hassle. The replacement has worked just fine.

    The 4D XPS LED Duo hasn't given any problems at all. I picked up the rechargable pack for it. The XPS pack has been a little disappointing as far as duration. Since I have the regular battery pack, I don't see that as a major problem.

    I hope this information is useful.

  27. #27
    Flashaholic* Rexlion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    630

    Default Re: Coleman Quad Lantern

    My brother just gave me a Coleman Duo lantern for Christmas. It takes away the biggest complaint I had about lanterns: the 360 degree lighting tends to put glare back into the user's face in so many circumstances. This Duo lantern's two panels will let me detach one panel and use either one panel at a time, or both panels, pointed away from me. No more light in my face, woohoo!

    I really like the fact that the panels are powered by common, user-replaceable AAA NiMH cells, so the lantern won't go on the junk heap when those cells get decrepit. The AAAs recharge automatically from the four Ds when the panel is reattached to the base. Weight with 4 D cells is 4.2 lbs, but each panel weighs a mere 15 ounces and has a nice flip-out stand for rear support.

    The only thing I miss is a dimmer or low mode. My old ($12 cheapo "Innovage") lantern had a dimmer switch, but it probably only put out 20 or 30 lumens on high, so this Duo is a nice improvement nevertheless. I guess if I need less than 60 lumens, I'm probably going to be better off with a flashlight on low mode anyhow... like my SC51W or my Maratac AAA.
    ___________________________________
    ==A 3D photography nut, turned flashaholic==

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •