Coleman Quad Lantern

luminiferous

Newly Enlightened
Just checked out the new Coleman Quad Lantern. Sweet design, but the output was too blue for my taste.

Wonder if Blacklight could comment here on what LEDs are used in this light?
I notice in Coleman's promotional material and online video, the LEDs look very neutral white, except for a three second shot of a girl holding one of the panels in a kitchen where you see the same blue color I experienced.

Are these white when fully charged and blue as the batteries weaken or are we seeing a pre-production version with better LEDs in the promotional video?

Coleman Quad Lantern

Last edited:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the detachable module idea seems neat at first, anybody that actually has kids, (rather than rents them an advertising agency), would find them being lost or missing in short time :ironic: First thing I would do is epoxy the darn things so they can't be removed otherwise I'd find them floating in the lake, tied to the dog, stuck in a tree, etc.

Good point about light color.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know when this lantern is going to be released? I saw this video quite some time ago, but haven't heard anything since.

I'm also interested in the 4X Cree 580 lumen Coleman Lantern as well.

http://flashlightnews.org/story1547.shtml

Lowes carries a 2x Cree 390 lumen lantern that looks pretty nice as well, and I saw a new Coleman 8D Cree Lantern the other day at ****ssportingoods as well. It has the same output/runtime as the 8D Family lantern that is sold at Walmart, but the beam is very smooth and diffused, and there aren't any bars to cause artifacts.

I'm just waiting for these items to be added to the Coleman.com website.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
That 4x Cree Coleman looks *nice*. Man, that thing must be insanely bright on high; I'd search out someone to load that up with 5A Q3s and I am fairly certain I would be in lantern heaven!

I think I will be giving Coleman a ring tomorrow...If (when) I do, I'll post their answer in the appropriate thread.

Last edited:

luminiferous

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know when this lantern is going to be released?

They're available online at retailers. Should have been more clear. I actually opened the box, and turned it on at a Canadian Tire store. US retailers will definitely have them since Canada gets damn near everything after the US, and they're available from the Coleman Store at this link

On the quad CREE lantern, I would give Coleman a call or email them (which does take quite some time for a response usually). Since it's an improvement on this lantern it might have the same product model number 2000001147 and the 2 CREE model will be discontinued, but Coleman or Blacklight can answer that question definitively.

Blacklight

Enlightened
That 4x Cree Coleman looks *nice*. Man, that thing must be insanely bright on high; I'd search out someone to load that up with 5A Q3s and I am fairly certain I would be in lantern heaven!

I think I will be giving Coleman a ring tomorrow...If (when) I do, I'll post their answer in the appropriate thread.
This lantern has Q3's, moving to Q4 this fall.

Blacklight

Enlightened
Just checked out the new Coleman Quad Lantern. Sweet design, but the output was too blue for my taste.

Wonder if Blacklight could comment here on what LEDs are used in this light?
I notice in Coleman's promotional material and online video, the LEDs look very neutral white, except for a three second shot of a girl holding one of the panels in a kitchen where you see the same blue color I experienced.

Are these white when fully charged and blue as the batteries weaken or are we seeing a pre-production version with better LEDs in the promotional video?

Coleman Quad Lantern

yeah the video was made from a preproduction part. the LEDs are 5MM Cotco LEDs. On the color changing, my guess is as the voltage drops maybe they are getting bluish? I will have my guyys do some tests and see if we see the same thing.

I wan't to appologize to everyone for being VERY slow on responding. I have picked up a bunch of added responsibilities, so I have been very lax on popping over here to answer questions. I have a new Product Manager for this category, I will talk to him abotu signing up here and making sure he keeps an eye out for any questions.

Darin
Director, Hardlines Marketing
The Coleman Company

Blacklight

Enlightened
They're available online at retailers. Should have been more clear. I actually opened the box, and turned it on at a Canadian Tire store. US retailers will definitely have them since Canada gets damn near everything after the US, and they're available from the Coleman Store at this link

On the quad CREE lantern, I would give Coleman a call or email them (which does take quite some time for a response usually). Since it's an improvement on this lantern it might have the same product model number 2000001147 and the 2 CREE model will be discontinued, but Coleman or Blacklight can answer that question definitively.

The 580 lumen version is the 2000001808, I will see how quickly we can get it up on the web so that you can get the Friends and Family Discount.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

This lantern has Q3's, moving to Q4 this fall.

Not just Q3, 5A Q3. I was saying that the 4x Cree lantern with a warmer 5A tint would be killer in my book. Personal tint preference can (and probably will) vary. :p

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree....but woulnd't this cost lumens over the cooler tints? You know...that marketing stuff.

luminiferous

Newly Enlightened
I agree....but woulnd't this cost lumens over the cooler tints? You know...that marketing stuff.

Yes. You are correct and I saw that Darin mentioned that in another post concerning availability of warmer spiral fluorescent bulbs for Coleman lanterns.

Sorry to say probably not possible. Those bulbs have a proprietary base, and we don't plan on developing more/new fluorescent as the market is shifting so quickly to LED, and it is much easier to get a Warmer Light out of an LED. we are going to be doing some consumer testing to see if consumers really want a warmer light, and if they do the best way to communicate it. We actually sell a warm white LED lantern in Japan right now, but I am not 100% convinced that the consumer is ready to give up 15% of their light for a warmer light (though I think LED performance is getting close to where it will be easier to justify).

D

luminiferous

Newly Enlightened
The Coleman 4x Cree 580 lumen lantern is now on the website, here it is:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000001808&categoryid=1045

The only problem is that it is currently back ordered. I have already contacted Blacklight about this, so please don't bother him with anymore PM's. I'll post again after I get his response.

Nice! :thumbsup:
I like the retro logo.

"Light Like Natural Daylight"

Would love to see a flared globe for this lantern.

BTW Darin, you should probably ask your web admin to add it under "New for 2009 Lighting" as well.

NickBose

Enlightened
There should be a similar version using SLA battery with a built-in circuit so it can just be plugged in for charging. D batteries (especially NiMH) are very expensive to run on

luminiferous

Newly Enlightened
There should be a similar version using SLA battery with a built-in circuit so it can just be plugged in for charging. D batteries (especially NiMH) are very expensive to run on

Yes, I tend to agree with this, but sealed lead acid are slow to charge with a transformer unless you have a sophisticated fast charger (expensive) and they are even slower to charge at lower vehicle voltages. They also require regular maintinance charging or their efficency suffers and it's hazardous to overcharge them.

For lower power lanterns, I really like using AA to D adapters with 2000 mAh or better NiMH. Even if the run time is shorter, it's long enough for a few nights. If they do run down, it's easy to just throw them in the charger and they're ready in 2 hours. I always have spares.

Since the average price for 8 alkaline D batteries is around $16, this combo pack doesn't seem like such a bad deal. Use your CPF discount code (cpf2006) and you'll get 5% off your order. Plus it's a good excuse to pick up some extra goodies while you're at it. :twothumbs

tritan

Newly Enlightened
Nice! :thumbsup:
I like the retro logo.

"Light Like Natural Daylight"

Would love to see a flared globe for this lantern.

BTW Darin, you should probably ask your web admin to add it under "New for 2009 Lighting" as well.

anybody find this on amazon yet? What is the best AA battery led lantern coleman makes?

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
What's the update on this Lantern??? Does anybody currently have it instock and available for purchase right now? .. I've got a camping trip planned for the weekend of the 16th and 17th and would like to have it by then if possible (Still showing out of stock until the 15th on Coleman's site :( )

Thanks,
Rick