I Just Got A Victorinox Farmer

GreyShark

Enlightened
My first knife was a knockoff SAK. My second knife was a real Victorinox SAK. When I broke it I switched over to a single blade lockback because I felt it would be stronger and better suited to self defense. Recently I had to replace a Benchmade tactical folder I wore out. Things change with time and after giving it a lot of consideration I decided I'm no longer interested in knives for self defense because for one thing I've been able to carry a gun for years now and for another I don't like the idea of being so easily exposed to bloodborne pathogens. It's too easy to win the fight but still lose later on because you get something inconvenient like hepatitis or AIDS these days. :eek:

So that got me thinking about what I do still use a knife for and my thoughts drifted back to SAK's. I always liked the concept, they're very handy, but there were also always a few flaws that jumped out at me. One thing was the relatively thin blade. That's how I ended up breaking my original Victorinox. Another was the red plastic scales seemed to loosen somehow with use which is related to the third point, there was a troubling degree of flex in the handle of the SAK, it didn't make me feel too confident about pushing it very hard. Finally while there were many good and useful tools on the knife there were also a few that never saw any use and that always seemed like kind of a waste to me.

My first thought was to look at the Soldier model. After some research I learned that the blade was made a little thicker and that the alox handles were much more rugged. The feature set was okay but seemed a little barren. I don't often use a lanyard but I like the option for special applications so that alone was enough to spur me to look at other models. I first found the Pioneer, a soldier with the lanyard ring added. That was a plus but it still seemed to be lacking a feature that really pushed it over the top for me. I wasn't too interested in nail files or extra small knife blades. Then I stumbled onto the Farmer with it's lanyard ring and saw. A saw is something I could really use quite often so that was a big advantage. Then I learned that the small screwdriver will work on phillips head screws which was a feature I wanted. Sold!

My first impression when I opened the package that arrived in the mail was that this knife is very small. Compared to some other Victorinox models it isn't but I traditionally lean toward bigger, stronger gear. So the first thing I had to do is inspect it from a strength perspective. The blade is indeed relatively thick. It has a distal taper so that won't help tip strength even if it has other advantages but the base is just about as thick as my old Benchmade. Next I started squeezing and twisting the handle. I expected all kinds of creaking and flexing. Nope! Solid as a rock! I'm sure that it will loosen with use over time but it will remain solid. I have some concerns over the shear strength of what appears to be brass pins but those are easily replaced and would have to be peened or replaced to tighten the knife after a while anyway.

It'll be a few days before I actually put it to use. Right now I'm still just getting used to the feel and size of it. Because it is so small and light I find that it's pretty easy to do different palming and coin tricks that weren't so practical with my larger knives. I wouldn't go so far as to say that smaller is better, but small is good and plenty of fun. It's also a pretty little thing. The fit and finish is good enough for it to bear up to close scrutiny even if it isn't completely flawless. The proportions, shapes, textures and colors all work well together. I appreciate this because while I'm open to many different aesthetic styles and believe that form should follow function I find unattractive gear to be contemptible. In more cases than not time and use have shown that lack of attention to the aesthetic design also suggests lack of quality in other more functional areas. I think this has something to do with pride of craftsmanship.

Speaking of finish I got the plain alox model. I really like the looks of the red anodized alox but I also know it will wear quickly. The plain aluminum should eventually acquire a relatively even and attractive patina whereas the red anodize will just look ragged and worn to me. I don't find this attractive because I have no problem wearing out gear. I respect things that can take a beating and still look good. This has got me interested in stripping the black type II anodizing from one of my 6P's. It will match the knife plus the scratches and dings won't look so bad. Interestingly enough the large blade on my Farmer is stamped with the year of its manufacture which I understand is something of a rarity.

All in all it seems to be an amazing knife for the money. I expect it to perform as a slightly improved version of my old Victorinox SAK in which case I have no doubt I'll be very pleased with it for its intended use. I can usually kill a knife in this price range in a short amount of time so I may post an update in a few months if it survives.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I think you'll be pleased with how it wears and lasts. This knife is more than likely 20+ years old. The edges are worn smooth, but it's still as solid and snappy as a brand new one.

5b96572bf1bfe1b2c23692e8c0b354c45g.jpg

american lockpicker

Enlightened
I recently got a Farmer w/red scales. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have more tools on it. What it really needs in my opinion is a file, scissors and, phillips screwdriver.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I recently got a Farmer w/red scales. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have more tools on it. What it really needs in my opinion is a file, scissors and, phillips screwdriver.

Order a custom one made to those specs.

I very nearly got a Pioneer that had scissors added, hard anodized, with a pocket clip.

Still kicking myself for not getting that when they were in stock.

GreyShark

Enlightened
I really like this little thing. In fact I like it so much I just might get a couple extra! :D It seems every time I find something I like it either gets changed or goes out of production.

It performs as I would have expected based on my previous Victorinox. My original one was an Explorer model and the one thing I'm really missing is the magnifying glass. I've thought about adding one but I've read that the new Victorinox magnifying glass is really plastic, which is a disappointment. I wonder if a Wenger:)eek:) magnifier might be able to be made to work instead?

The funny thing is now that I have a SAK again I'm starting to find all kinds of uses for its various tools and I'm not quite sure how I ever managed with a single blade tactical folder in the first place. I guess that's the SAK-effect. :cool: I also decided that if I had to use my Farmer for self defense, acknowledging how slow the blade is to deploy unless you use a couple tricks to compensate, it still makes a handy little impact device either with or without a lanyard. I prefer a bludgeon to a blade these days for the reasons I previously stated anyway.

Tomorrow the Farmer is going swimming in the ocean. I'm interested to see how it handles the salt water. Of course I will rinse it out as soon as I'm done and polish it up if necessary.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Where are you guys getting your Farmers? At a B&M store?

Well, my red SAK pictured above is an old Pioneer with brass liners. Almost the same knife, which is why I showed it.

I own two actual Farmers, one silver and one blue. The silver was a eBay auction of TSA confiscations, and was in like-new condition. That is a good way to get Victorinox really cheap, i have a bag full of 30+ Classics to give away that cost about $1 each.

My second farmer my wife spotted at a Tuesday Morning (B&M chain). Being blue alox, I just HAD to have it. It looks just like this one.

For semi-formal carry, I'll use it for my black alox Pioneer, which both look downright sexy.

Actually, I need to take a pic of all my Alox models. I'll brb with that...

Marduke

Flashaholic
Okay, as promised, my Victorinox Alox family minus a few old corporate logo Classic's I couldn't find.

The one classic in the center is actually stainless steel (discontinued), but I felt it should be included anyhow.

Vic_Alox.jpg

The blue of the Farmer is a little deeper in real life, and no, the saw blade is not rusty. It's just a play of the lighting.

The red Pioneer has the inside flat edge of the can opener sharpened so you can loop it around zip ties and cut them with a quick yank towards yourself much safer than than cutting them with a regular blade.

Last edited:

Dan FO

Enlightened
The Alox Victorinox knives are great! I have had a Soldier for over 30 years and added a few since then. :)

Styerman

Newly Enlightened
Farmer is one of the best . the Soldier isn't too shabby for Urban use . For dress , cant beat the Cadet . All of the above would A) outlast , B) cost less than , one tactical .

Chris

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
The silver was a eBay auction of TSA confiscations, and was in like-new condition. That is a good way to get Victorinox really cheap
Yeah, I monitor some of those sales of TSA forfeitures. Some really good deals to be had.

I was ready to spring on a pair of minichamps, but the seller had insane shipping costs.

Of the 10 SAKs I have, 4 are Alox (Blue Classic SD, Bantam II, Soldier, Red Cadet).

GreyShark

Enlightened
This knife has proven to be highly corrosion resistant. I was able to wash it off promptly and thoroughly after a little more than an hour of swimming in salt water and it didn't get the first spot of rust.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yeah, I monitor some of those sales of TSA forfeitures. Some really good deals to be had.

I was ready to spring on a pair of minichamps, but the seller had insane shipping costs.

Of the 10 SAKs I have, 4 are Alox (Blue Classic SD, Bantam II, Soldier, Red Cadet).

Which blue? The light blue, or the real blue, like my Farmer?

I ask because I happen to have a spare MiniChamp (original) in good condition. ;)

Marduke

Flashaholic
This knife has proven to be highly corrosion resistant. I was able to wash it off promptly and thoroughly after a little more than an hour of swimming in salt water and it didn't get the first spot of rust.

I'm not surprised. Vic's steel has a high chromium content, making it extremely corrosion resistant, and salt water doesn't rust the aluminum scales.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which blue? The light blue, or the real blue, like my Farmer?

I ask because I happen to have a spare MiniChamp (original) in good condition. ;)
It's the light blue. Actually it's light blue and silver now.
After riding in my pocket with two sets of keys for almost 3 months he blue is wearing off.

GreyShark

Enlightened
I'm not surprised. Vic's steel has a high chromium content, making it extremely corrosion resistant, and salt water doesn't rust the aluminum scales.

You don't happen to know what steel they use do you?

The color anodized knives are very attractive. The black looks particularly dignified. I realize black has been done to death on everything but I particularly like that look on the SAK for some reason. It might have something to do with the way it contrasts with the emblem.

carrot

Flashaholic
The steel that Victorinox uses is dubbed "INOX"

Not very helpful, because INOX is practically synonymous with "stainless steel" but there you have it

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
The color anodized knives are very attractive. The black looks particularly dignified. I realize black has been done to death on everything but I particularly like that look on the SAK for some reason. It might have something to do with the way it contrasts with the emblem.
If you want to keep it looking like that, make sure when you carry it that it does not come in contact with anything else that will take the finish off.

Otherwise you'll have a black and silver SAK. Some people like the worn look, others don't.