Klarus        
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanley H.I.D. and 1365 lumen spotlights (Part 1)

Default Re: New Stanley H.I.D. and 1365 lumen spotlights

If you guys can wait till it gets dark (can't take beamshots in broad daylight) there will be an example of what this baby looks like with a 4300K bulb. Lips I'm holding you (and a few others) responsible

Seriously, I'm still writing Part 2 - How It Works & Thinking Outside the Box. This light, with it's pistol trigger, is very unique. It ain't your ordinary HID light. It's different than any light that I have ever seen... and I thnk I seen them all. In fact, I felt it necessary to take video (in slow motion) to illustrate what this light does differently.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ted Bear View Post

This light, with it's pistol trigger, is very unique. It ain't your ordinary HID light. It's different than any light that I have ever seen... and I thnk I seen them all. In fact, I felt it necessary to take video (in slow motion) to illustrate what this light does differently.
    Richie
    AE Xenide 25W, Power On Board 35W 4300K, TACTICAL-HID 24W, Dorcy LED 220 Lm, Husky 2D CREE 200 Lm, Mini Maglite w/TerraLUX LED, ORACLE 24X-9 4300k, ORACLE 35W 4300K

What's a warranty??
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

West Coast ------> Middle of the Country and on... Aint fair I tell ya!

My Walmart will get new stuff two years from now (and it's a Super WalMart) Well, atleast I have a little hope and can check my city across the river for one...

4300k bulb, hmm sounding better and better Should be more lumens going out the front than the 8000K for sure... Crush that return wire cover !!!

Waiting for the sun to go down

Mr TB, in looking at your shot of the back of the light, I wonder why the "full power" icon is not all white instead of dark? Seems backwards to me.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

Enlightened

I think I just found my first HID light. After dinner Im headed over to, walmart to see if they have them avail......this is going to be fun.

Hey NorCal, are you NorCalNick on another forum?

DAMMIT!

(PO)Baby needs new shoes (as in batt) and here goes another $75 (taxes, yes?).

mine's charging now......come on (new) baby!

ps. POB will still get new shoes <size 7Ah, sigh>
    Last edited by bogeymachine; 03-14-2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: typo

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    Hey NorCal, are you NorCalNick on another forum?
    No, NorCalNick is one of my good buddies though. He owns NorCalTruck in Livermore. What diesel forum do you post on? Im on the Dieselplace.

Just picked mine up a couple hours ago; it was hidden along with all the other Stanley lights in the automotive section for some reason. It's frickin' heavy, feels like it's filled with concrete. Pointing at a white wall, the hotspot is extremely tiny and too intense to look directly into

Nightfall awaits..

Dieselplace as "BVH". Figured you were posting there with your CPF handle.

I just tried minie out back. First impressions are that the color temp is pretty high - it seemed rather blue. It's really bright with a nice hot spot in the center. The only downsides I see so far -

1) The center of gravity is a little high.

2) The hi/lo switch didn't seem to do anything.

Except for that I like it. I'm going to look for a warmer color temp bulb though.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    I just tried minie out back. First impressions are that the color temp is pretty high - it seemed rather blue. It's really bright with a nice hot spot in the center. The only downsides I see so far -

1) The center of gravity is a little high.

2) The hi/lo switch didn't seem to do anything.

Except for that I like it. I'm going to look for a warmer color temp bulb though.
    just as I suspected...

is it possible to use alternative sources of power than SLAs?

Enlightened

Just went and bought my first HID light...all I can say is WOW, this thing is definitely bright. They had 3 left. So got in the car cut open the package and plugged it into the cig lighter and fired it off in the parking lot......BRIGHT.

Drove out by the bay and fired it off towards the dumps.....could see the beam from the moisture in the air......lit up some stuff pretty far away.....

1. Hi/Lo switch seems to do nothing...switch seemed kind of loose as if it werent making contact with any of the points inside the switch. Manual says that it takes roughly 30 seconds to notice the change, got home and locked the trigger....moved the switch to Lo and watched the clock.....45 seconds...60 seconds...nadda......

2. Bulb is rotated kind of funny in the reflector, electrode is pointing at about 7.....should it be at 12 or 6???

gonna go take some beam shots now.......

The hii/low switch does do some thing... read part 2

Part 2 - How It Works & Thinking Outside the Box

Quoting myself, “this light ROCKS.”, “…It's more like a 3 stage ballast”, and “This light, with it's pistol trigger, is very unique.” , it is now time to offer an explanation for these comments .In post #24, I stated that the light “flashed on” the very first time I squeezed the trigger. I chose my words carefully when I made that statement. Un-like any other HID, when you squeeze the trigger, the light is “ON”; there is not the 1-2 second delay to ramp up to “useable light levels”. The lumens are there, instantly. As I cycled the light, I noticed, the light would come on instantly, and then throttle back after a couple seconds. So, for what ever reason, I associated these two distinct levels as the “high/low” , but the problem was, I had not touched the switch. Time to call the factory !

This is what the factory had to say. It was by design that the light starts up as fast as it does. The immediate start up is accomplished by overdriving the bulb by “30 or so” watts. A slow start-up was one of the stigma’s they wanted to do away with when they designed this light. (this “boost” is number two of three light levels/stages for the ballast)

Please view these two you tube videos taken in slow motion, The clips are 12 seconds long, but in real time, they are 3 seconds. The first clip is of a Polarion X1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhjCknVG5tQ. The second clip is that of the Stanley HID. What appears to be a slight drop after the initial burst is sensor lag in my video camera. Towards the end of the clip, you can see the distinct drop in output http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB0ZN5AVqao

In my discussion with the factory, we talked about the high/low switch, I noted that when I operated the switch, I could not see a difference in light levels. And the explanation… when switching from high to low, there is so much energy stored in the ballast, that it can take up to two minutes to dissipate so there wont be any noticeable drop. Time for more time lapse photography. .. Forget the camera, easier to breakout the light meter

I set the Stanley up at one end of the hallway, light meter 25-30 feet away. I waited 5 minutes for the Stanley to stabilize, and took the first measurement. Damn, something wrong with my light meter…. I could see the numbers dropping 7.05, 7.03, 7.00, 6.99 …. 6.3 BOING 7.05 7.03 7.00 ….6.3 repeat repeat repeat EACH CYCLE ABOUT 40-45 SECONDS. There is no way for the human eye to realize this drop Could it be that is some kind of pulse modulation to save energy?

Finally after two minutes, did the light dissipate the extra energy in the ballast. Down to 3.86…3.55, nearly the same percentage change as in high mode ., same slow modulation. High /Low would be the third stage/level for the ballast, but this slow modulation make it a multilevel balast

Now you know why this light ROCKS, is unique, has outside of the box thinking in it's design, and is not like any other HID that I have ever seen.

Part 3 - Exttra Credit (Stanley with a 4300k bulb) back in an hour
    Jeff

Enlightened

Thanks for the info on the hi/low switch. I have a friend who sells HID kits and can get a new bulb (any type and kelvin temp) for $35 with a ceramic base. To my eyes the bulb seems pretty white, but for some reason the camera seems to pick it up as really blue..interesting. Is there a standard for taking beam shots as far as ISO, timer and aperture go?? I took these a little while ago...

Those shots are great Norcal...looks like your settings are in good order. All that matters with beam shots is that the settings are consistent from shot to shot.

Don't worry about the difference between your eyes and the camera.
    1-Your eyes are permanently set to auto white balance and thus
    2- your camera is pretty much always going to pick up tints that your eyes auto adjust to.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Enlightened

Still, thank you. I believe these were all at 2.5sec, F2.8 and ISO 100. Wasnt too sure if there was a set standard for beam shots. Would shooting in RAW and using a gray card change the tint to more of a white color??

+1 for the start up delay, mine also starts up instantly, ramps up for a few seconds, then throttles back notably to a regulated state with a click. If I remember correctly, the charge LED is red until it cuts back, then turns green.

I can't believe how wide the spillbeam is, I'd say it's somewhere around 160 degrees; someone will eventually try a diffuser on one of these and it'll be like walking around with daylight in front of you..

I like how the three LEDs on top are specifically angled inward/towards one another so they form a coherent hotspot, plus the beam profile is oval in shape, but wider horizontally - perfect for a walk light. Stanley definitely did their homework.

The lanyard on mine is awfully small/short, if I use the lanyard hole in the handle, there's just barely enough room to get my hand through the loop.

Now I just need some low clouds so I can do my first cloud bounce!

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal2500HD View Post
    Wasnt too sure if there was a set standard for beam shots. Would shooting in RAW and using a gray card change the tint to more of a white color??
    No on the RAW and gray card; the file uncompressed file format will just make the file size many times larger without affecting how the resized image will look. And you don't need a gray card if you have an Auto Level feature in your image editing program (which will still not remove the blue of the light). Your only option to get the light in the image as you see it is to toy with the color balance manually until it looks "right".
    Last edited by StarHalo; 03-15-2009 at 12:55 AM.

Awesome MrTB. I'm going to be near wally world on Monday to see if they have any.

Thanks for the info on the hi/low switch. I have a friend who sells HID kits and can get a new bulb (any type and kelvin temp) for $35 with a ceramic base. To my eyes the bulb seems pretty white, but for some reason the camera seems to pick it up as really blue..interesting. Is there a standard for taking beam shots as far as ISO, timer and aperture go?? I took these a little while ago...
    Any idea on the range there?

Enlightened

No idea to be honest.....were gona bust out the measuring wheel tomorrow night and measure increments of 100 ft and see how far it goes.....

No idea to be honest.....were gona bust out the measuring wheel tomorrow night and measure increments of 100 ft and see how far it goes.....
    Measuring wheel?! That's what Google Maps/Earth is for.

Would shooting in RAW and using a gray card change the tint to more of a white color??
    Well, basically if you shoot with a gray card, and the card is illuminated by the beam of the HID, and then in post processing you select the gray card as being neutral, yes the beam will be more white, but the surrounding areas will be much more orange...whatever color it takes to cancel out that shade of blue, the rest of the pic will be.

That can be done with even a jpeg.

I really don't need this light, I have the 3152 with the warm bulb, but for some reason I really dig this thing.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Flashaholic

Went to 3 different Walmarts and nada. None left. I shoulda just bought it when I first saw it. Damn economy has got me second guessing my impulse buying. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to enjoy everyone else's beam shots. On that note, more beam shots, more beam shots.
    Someone turn on the dark, it's bright in here.

For my beam shots, I found that F3.5 @ 5 seconds is fairly close to what my eye sees. I use a Canon Powershot S5IS.

Going to another wally World this morning to look for more.

Part 3 Extra Credit - Stanley with 4,300K Bulb Photos courtesy BVH

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    Picked up their only two. Tools out and ready to go to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lips View Post
    4300k bulb, hmm sounding better and better Should be more lumens going out the front than the 8000K for sure... Crush that return wire cover !!!
    Waiting for the sun to go down
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie086 View Post
    I can't tell what type of bulb it has from the photo, but I totally agree the bulb is easily replaceable and should be upgraded to a warmer color temp....

MAKE IT SO !

But first a quck review...
    Wide angle L35 and STANLEY Lots and lots of upfront spill

and another, this time N30 and STANLEY (photo's from BVH)

Nice pics bvh... show us more Here is the N30 solo

STANLEY 8,000k

and now the STANLEY with 4300K bulb

Stanley 4,300K and Stanley 8,000k

and in gif Stanley 4,300 and Stanley 8,000

Wow, that 4300K bulb makes a big difference. Still not convinced ?
    Here's the N30 and Stanley 8,000 in gif
    Last edited by Mr Ted Bear; 03-15-2009 at 11:20 AM.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ted Bear View Post
    Part 3 Extra Credit - Stanley with 4,300K Bulb Photos courtesy BVH

Stanley 4,300K and Stanley 8,000k

Hi Jeff,

I shrunk your photo down to keep these large photos under control

Wonderful photos! I love that 4300k. What type of bulb did it turn out to be and where'd you get the bulb? Awesome
    Last edited by Richie086; 03-15-2009 at 09:52 AM.
    Richie
    AE Xenide 25W, Power On Board 35W 4300K, TACTICAL-HID 24W, Dorcy LED 220 Lm, Husky 2D CREE 200 Lm, Mini Maglite w/TerraLUX LED, ORACLE 24X-9 4300k, ORACLE 35W 4300K

Flashaholic*

Mr Bear,

I enjoyed your sharing all the Stanley HID information so much that I bought one a few minutes ago. The 4300 K bulb is a striking improvement so I want to put one in mine.

Is this a direct bulb replacement or is there other work needed to make the comversion?

Could you share with us exactly what bulb to buy and where to buy it?

Mine is on the charger now and I am waiting to light up the dark!

Heheheh, cycled up to my local Walmart this morning, and whaddya know? They had two of these babies, and I befriended one, and took her out to the parking lot to play.

Impressions:
    • I guess I should have known from the pictures, but I didn't realize the tailstand bars on the back are good for a strap -- a shoulder-strap I brought (planning to attach the lanyard, and hook onto that) clipped right on, and it carries rather handily, over the back for riding, or at the side for walking. The LEDs and shoulder-strap combo would be real nice for walking, especially with the instant-starting. This mode of carry also obsoletes the short lanyard.
    • Missing, in light of that, was a D-ring or something near the bezel, to allow horizontal carry with a strap -- it's possible I add that myself at some point.
    • MAN THIS THING IS BRIGHT!! (Yeah, it's my first HID, so of course I'd think that.) The sun was just coming up when I went in Walmart, but when I came back out 20 minutes later, I could see the light handily on the asphalt, and light up retroreflective signs 1/8 mile away (that's all I tried). My Mag61 was out of juice, and my Eveready85 was half-empty and is a flooder anyway, so no direct comparison, but I know awesome when I see it.
    • The lock on the trigger works as it ought -- it locks both on and off. It is a little hard to thumb on while holding the trigger down, though...
    • My bulb is leaning to one side -- obvious in the beam across the room, as well as looking at the bulb. So I'll have to dig in and try to fix that alignment before tonight. (Tonight's our first real date!)
    • I believe there's a long standing debate over whether strobing a bright light in someone's eyes can temporarily incapacitate them in a fight. I'd bet trigger-strobing this at about 4 Hz will do it. (Yeah, I know how bad that is for the bulb. But if it dies first, that'll just force me to get a lower-temp one. And I didn't think any affordable HID would be able to do it at all, no matter how stressful, so it's so unspeakably cool I had to do it.)

Bottom line: I think this is one of the lights Neo would pack under his trenchcoat.
    Tank: Okay, so whaddya need? Besides a miracle...
    Flashaholic-Neo: Lights. Lots of lights.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast