Thread: Recommendations for <$20 EDC

Flashaholic*

Default Recommendations for <$20 EDC

a. Pocketable - 100mm (3.94in.) or shorter, 22mm (0.87in.) diameter or smaller.
    b. Reasonably bright - 100 lumens or better.
    c. 2-mode (hi-low) - preferably 3-mode (hi-mid-low).
    d. Single AA or CR123.
    e. Tailcap clicky.
    f. 43gm (1.5oz.) w/o battery or lighter.
    g. Pocket clip, wrist lanyard would be nice.

Default Re: Recommendations for <$20 EDC

For under 20 dollars, you are probably limited to something from DX or one of the other chinese lights.

If you want a metal flashlight, check this thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=223240

Or check you local shops for a plastic light.

The problem with the cheap metal lights are quality insurance, mostly they work ok, but not always. If you want something that always works, you have to use more money ($50+), the Fenix brand is a good light in that price range.

The LM33 ($25 @ batteryjunction) will give you about 80-90 lumens on high, 15-20 on low. 1 x CR123a. Reverse clicky. Off-low-high. No clip, but comes with a lanyard. A very smooth beam. A good quality light made by LumaPower a reputable company. I often carry one when I'm not carryng my Fenix L1T v2, which is also nice but way over your budget @ about $42.
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by rmteo View Post
    a. Pocketable - 100mm (3.94in.) or shorter, 22mm (0.87in.) diameter or smaller.
    b. Reasonably bright - 100 lumens or better.
    c. 2-mode (hi-low) - preferably 3-mode (hi-mid-low).
    d. Single AA or CR123.
    e. Tailcap clicky.
    f. 43gm (1.5oz.) w/o battery or lighter.
    g. Pocket clip, wrist lanyard would be nice.
    PMing you a recommendation...

the romisen rc-n3 is about $25 shipped from shiningbeam and is well worth it. i think it is really close to matching your needs, and it comes with a 2aa battery extension so if you ever need to use aa batteries you're covered. i've bought a few lights from dx and this is much better quality than any of them. oh, nice bright beam too!

Flashaholic

unreasonably high standards for the price. those features are easily available but cost at least $50 for a decent light.

Quote Originally Posted by notsobrite View Post
    the romisen rc-n3 is about $25 shipped from shiningbeam and is well worth it.
    I was thinking that too. It's even cheaper from DX, but worth the extra few dollars for shiningbeam's Q5 version.

Another suggestion (R/CR123 only) is the Romisen RC-C3 from DX. I don't have this one but it seems well thought of. By all accounts it's bright, but with not so good runtime. $13.20 shipped.
    "The profoundly wise do not declaim against superficial knowledge in others, as much as the profoundly ignorant."

The new Romisen RC-N3 II Q5 dual mode (high-medium) from Shiningbeam might be an option.
    It's over $20 but not bad with the CPF discount.

Flashaholic*

Im too with the RC-N3 suggestion or maybe the Akoray K-106.

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

my vote goes to shiningbeam too.. a bit over budget but the lights are better quality than those ordered directly from china (DealExtreme) and you get FAST shipping and you have it in days! DX might take anywhere from 14 days to 2 months!

shiningbeam: romisen rc n3
    http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...II-Cree/Detail
    option of using either 1*cr123 or 2aa light. but not sure if it has a clip.

then from dealextreme:
    akoray 106 -should be able to program the output to 3 different modes. 1AA light that has a clip too.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16607

ultrafire a1: cr123 battery. clip.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16844
    (i have that and like it.)

akoray 109: cr123 model (should be otherwise like akoray 106)
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15877

my advise, if you are not used to cr123s.. check the pricing. locally and online. AA lights are generally cheaper to use as batteries are cheap everywhere. thats why i suggest the rcn3 as it also has option of using it also as larger flashlight with 2aa tube.

(ordered romisen n3 from dealextreme about month ago and i am still waiting for it.. in retrospec i should of spent more to get shiningbeam model.. FAST shipping and better led. and especially now that it has hi and low)

I recommend a Ti Haiku.

Nice sig btw.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Why ask for a <$20 light when you got a sig like that?
    Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and higher education positively fortifies it.
    --Stephen Vizinczey

Ultrafire WF-602C 5 mode . $10.78 Posted .
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...&postcount=272

Ok DX is a little slow , but if your not in a hurry . If you want to spend $20 - Buy two .

This , http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16844 came in after I ordered my 602C ... Might be what the flashaholic needs .
    Last edited by old4570; 03-13-2009 at 08:23 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    I recommend a Ti Haiku.

Nice sig btw.
    Thanks - figured you would appreciated the irony.

Get the new rc-n3 q5 II from shiningbeam
    Hi/lo
    good output, solid build.

$20 ehh? ..good luck with that.

Save your money until you can spend it wisely.

..or, just get a case of Budweiser and call it a night.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by old4570 View Post
    Ultrafire WF-602C 5 mode . $10.78 Posted .
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...&postcount=272

Ok DX is a little slow , but if your not in a hurry . If you want to spend $20 - Buy two .
    Very nice - thanks, Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    The LM33 ($25 @ batteryjunction) will give you about 80-90 lumens on high, 15-20 on low. 1 x CR123a. Reverse clicky. Off-low-high. No clip, but comes with a lanyard. A very smooth beam. A good quality light made by LumaPower a reputable company. I often carry one when I'm not carryng my Fenix L1T v2, which is also nice but way over your budget @ about $42.

+1 I like the LumaPower LM33 you should look into it at the very least. It really is a good light for $25. Like BigBluefish mentioned it is a good alternative to the Fenix L1T or PD2 if you don't have the funds for a Fenix. It has a really nice beam with lots of spill and a good forward clicky with LO-Hi setting.
    My flashlight collection HERE

Quote Originally Posted by NonSenCe View Post
    akoray 106 -should be able to program the output to 3 different modes. 1AA light that has a clip too.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16607
    That one has 3-mode programmable in recent lights, but the description still says 6-mode.
    akoray 109: cr123 model (should be otherwise like akoray 106)
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15877
    This one has the same 6-mode description, but it was still shipping with the 6-mode (non-programmable) driver, as described, quite some time after the 106 switched over. They may have switched to the programmable driver by now, but don't count on it.

Flashaholic*

Thanks to all who made recommendations. Matt's suggestion (and nice review) of the Ultrafire WF-602C 5-mode meets all my requirements. The $10 price point makes it an incredible value.

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    That one has 3-mode programmable in recent lights, but the description still says 6-mode.
    This one has the same 6-mode description, but it was still shipping with the 6-mode (non-programmable) driver, as described, quite some time after the 106 switched over. They may have switched to the programmable driver by now, but don't count on it.
    Can anyone confirm if they switched driver in 109? I was thinking of picking one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Armed_Forces View Post
    $20 ehh? ..good luck with that.

Save your money until you can spend it wisely.

..or, just get a case of Budweiser and call it a night.

Exactly, After you get $20 light you wont be satisfied and will just end up getting more and more, then you'll realize that

you wasted so much money on cheapies. Be smart, dont get something you'll just end up throwing in a corner and forget

about.
    Last edited by PetaBread; 03-15-2009 at 01:58 PM.
    Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and higher education positively fortifies it.
    --Stephen Vizinczey

Quote Originally Posted by rmteo View Post
    Thanks to all who made recommendations. Matt's suggestion (and nice review) of the Ultrafire WF-602C 5-mode meets all my requirements. The $10 price point makes it an incredible value.
    A word of warning. It's only a good value if it works. If you spend some time reading here on CPF you will find a number of threads devoted to quality control issues with these inexpensive lights. Often times important steps are left out of the manufacturing process, like providing a good thermal path for heat to get away from the LED, resulting in quick failure. Then you are left wondering if it's worth the cost and time involved to return such an inexpensive light.

I'm not saying you can't get a fine inexpensive light, I'm only warning you to go into it with your eyes open to the potential pitfalls. I can't even begin to count the number of threads I've read where a new member bought one of these inexpensive, bright wonder lights only to have it fail after a month. There is a reason they're inexpensive.

Personally, I would highly recommend that you spend a bit more time reading here on CPF while you're saving your money. Then invest just a bit more in a high quality light from a reputable dealer. Just my 2 cents worth.

Isn't there a 1x123 Dorcy at Target for $15? Been thinking about getting one as a battery vampire, and they're pretty small, to boot.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    PMing you a recommendation...
    Why are you PMing him your recommendation? We would all be very interested in knowing what your recommendation is.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Chrontius View Post
    Isn't there a 1x123 Dorcy at Target for $15? Been thinking about getting one as a battery vampire, and they're pretty small, to boot.
    Yes, the Dorcy Super 1 watt. I think it's closer to $20 though.

They are currently on sale for $22.99 at DorcyDirect.com, with free shipping in the US.

I have 3 of them and they are one of my favorite lights now.

I modified mine with Seoul P4 U-bin emitters and almost doubled their output while preserving their battery vampire abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy's Dropper View Post
    Why are you PMing him your recommendation? We would all be very interested in knowing what your recommendation is.
    PMed because of some issues going on with a mod at the time. It's been mentioned since then by someone else, anyhow.

Well I hope the ultrafire works out for you, I have never bought an ultrafire because of the regular bad reviews I have read of their lights.