PK Design Lab
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CPF's Folding @ Home team-let's help cure diseases!

Default Re: CPF's Folding @ Home team-let's help cure diseases!

I've updated the first post...a new stats page I came across from X-CPU's:

Team summary:
    http://www.xcpus.com/Folding/Folding...D=45435&page=1

As well, you can click on individual users and see what data they have available. Good info here!
    Mike

Today was a rough day as far as my boxes go. Some didn't pull any work units for hours at a time. Came home to find my daily output had taken a dive. Glad to see the rest of you guys pulling well. We're moving back up the ladder again.
    Mike

My GTX 260 216 has been throwing NAN errors on 57XX projects the last couple days. If any of you are encountering these on your Nvidia cards, there is a thread here to post the offending work units:

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7965

My points is going to vary while I re-test the card for stability.
    Mike

Enlightened

I have been having a problem sending/receiving WUs since Saturday so my points will be low also. Apparently quite a lot of people are also having issues sending/receiving the WUs since the weekend as per foldingforum.org. Hopefully they have it sorted out soon.

My current work unit is, by far, the slowest my computer has folded. It's a 1500 step unit. At the rate it's folding, it'll probably take until Saturday or Sunday to finish, and it's already about 60% completed! Normally, a 1500 step unit takes a couple of days. I don't know why, but this one is taking forever. I was thinking, that maybe my machine had something in the back ground that was stuck running in a dead loop or something like that, that was making it run so slow, but I restarted my machine and it isn't any faster. This one should be worth big points!
    Last edited by Trashman; 04-21-2009 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r_x View Post
    I have been having a problem sending/receiving WUs since Saturday so my points will be low also. Apparently quite a lot of people are also having issues sending/receiving the WUs since the weekend as per foldingforum.org. Hopefully they have it sorted out soon.
    I'm still encountering that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trashman View Post
    My current work unit is, by far, the slowest my computer has folded. It's a 1500 step unit.
    What project #?
    Mike

Project: 4463 (Run 923, Clone 2, Gen 5), Core: 78

I got this WU on 4/14. I'm at 990/1500! I think, this one has the cure in it! (Yes, I know how stupid that statement is.)
    Last edited by Trashman; 04-23-2009 at 01:54 AM.

That looks like a pretty heavy one your box pulled.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
    That looks like a pretty heavy one your box pulled.
    You can tell just by the number of the project? Yeah, I'd say it was pretty heavy, as I'm now only on step 1020! I better be racking up some major points for this one!

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html

I had looked it up initially to see...now they've updated the project listing...
    The higher atom counts are usually more difficult work units. Luckily it can still be entered manually but doesn't give the point count.

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/fahproject?p=4463
    Mike

4 hours later and still at 1020! Maybe, I'll turn up the processing power a bit, while I sleep.

That thing is taking its time. What are your system specs?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
    That thing is taking its time. What are your system specs?
    1065, right now. I guess, I'm looking at Tuesday or Wednesday! I've got 1.8gz Core2 Duo w/4gbs of 800mhz RAM, and a ATI HD2400 Pro video card. It's a Dell Optiplex 750. It's not super fast, but it really saves on the electricity bill. It's only got a 250w power supply, so, unless I upgrade that, I won't be able to power any of the good GPUs. The motherboard will take up to a Core2Quad, though, so, someday in the far away future, I may stick another processor in it.

i give up the last 3 results added never went on my score
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

The receiving servers have been having problems. Those WU's went to 100%? If it EUE'd, those take longer to be accounted, I have had some that took a week+ to show up. I know it's frustrating...all goes to a greater good. Even now, one day it's working and to come home to find it stalled. Just one of those bumps in the road. Hang in there.
    Mike

I'm at 1275, now. I guess, it won't be done until Saturday or Sunday! Wow, more than 2 weeks. I'm so curious to see what kind of points I'll be getting for this.

Well, yesterday, I configured it to use the maximum CPU power, and it's finished! I should have done that a long time ago! Ugghhh...so much time wasted! It wasn't worth very many points, either. I'm not sure when it finished, but I jumped from 1 WU completed for CPF to 3, so, either I finished two, since yesterday, or it gave me credit for 2 WUs? Neither scenario seems likely.
    Last edited by Trashman; 04-30-2009 at 08:52 PM.

We're definitely coming along...thanks guys!

This past week, my mom had some tests and among the three doctors, their findings were different. One said Parkinsons, another said no and one said Alzheimers. Either way...all these pooter cycles help the research for those who have these diseases.
    Mike

Yeah, I'm jumping a few spots, with every WU completed. I'm down to #40, now. I see, though, that once I get to a certain point, I won't really be able to advance, without a different setup. Either way, though, it'd be cool if I can overtake Idleprocess, or someone around there. (a goal provides me with entertainment!)

It is a tough game with the technology changing and or becoming less expensive. A single GTS 250 will do about 5K PPD and those are hovering at ~$120 these days. If you have a sufficient power supply, a GTX 260 216 is about $165 and does 8k PPD. At the lower range a 9600GT, would turn in about 1,800 PPD. Those cards are about $30-$60 and they run quite cool too. (No extra power connector needed since it is powered through the PCI-e slot.)
    Mike

CPF is climbing the ranks...good job guys!

Since it was Memorial Day, I gave the pooters a day off. Amazing how quiet the room is with one off and the fans turned down on the other. The room is also much cooler to work in. I also went outside to watch the electricity meter...it did slow down. The last electricity bill jumped another $20 for the month so I'm at a loss what caused the additional draw. Did I mention it is cooler in the room?

Next month I will consider swapping out the two 8800GT cards for a single GTX 260 C216. It should do about the same as the two 8800GT cards and consume about 100-120 watts less electricity.
    Mike

Wow, I didn't realize that CPF had a FAH team. I had been doing some folding for the EVGA team, but I haven't done it in a while, since I don't really like leaving my computer on longer than it needs to be (it has 3 120MM intake fans, so dust builds up quickly). I only have an 8800gt at the moment, but I might try and help you guys out if I can. I also have a Q6600 at 3Ghz; is it worth it to run the CPU client as well?

EDIT: Ok, I am not folding for the CPF team right now. It is a pretty large protein strand, and is apparently worth 768 points. I should be able to fold for a few hours a day when my computer is on, but I definitely don't want to leave it on overnight.
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 05-25-2009 at 07:06 PM.
    Eagletac T10L, 3D maglite with Malkoff 3-6D XP-G Dropin, Stanley 35 watt HID, Gerber LX 3.0, L-mini II Q3-5C, 2D ROP w/ LiMnNi 26650, Eagletac P100A2, Quark Mini AA XP-G S2

Quote Originally Posted by Trashman View Post
    Yeah, I'm jumping a few spots, with every WU completed. I'm down to #40, now. I see, though, that once I get to a certain point, I won't really be able to advance, without a different setup. Either way, though, it'd be cool if I can overtake Idleprocess, or someone around there. (a goal provides me with entertainment!)
    Bam, sucka! I just overtook Idleprocess. I guess, the next goal will be to take over Raggie4mymom. As long as that remains inactive, I should be able to do it. However, if Raggie starts using that one, I probably don't have a chance, as I suspect he's got a hot rod computer.

ok i need simple instructions for gpu folding i got a pny 1 gig 250 gts i payed to much waaaa payed 150.and even worst i had to disocnect my dvd burner since the card blocks all but 1 sata slot
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Well, so much for overtaking Raggie!

lol its driveimg me batty my monitor is real slw while folding

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    lol its driveimg me batty my monitor is real slw while folding
    Have you tried lowering the percentage of CPU usage through the configure menu? (under the Advanced tab in the configuration screen) Maybe, that will help.

$150 isn't too much for a gts250, considering it is basically a rebranded 9800gtx. My 8800gt was about $300 new, which is only slightly less powerful than the gts 250. If anyone payed too much, it was me...
    Eagletac T10L, 3D maglite with Malkoff 3-6D XP-G Dropin, Stanley 35 watt HID, Gerber LX 3.0, L-mini II Q3-5C, 2D ROP w/ LiMnNi 26650, Eagletac P100A2, Quark Mini AA XP-G S2

Congrats...that card will do well for the team. They are space hogs as you found out.

DL the cuurrent drivers which include CUDA and such, V 186.18 is the most recent though I'm running 185.XX. Install the drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Also DL EVGA Precision which allows overclocking and fan control. Set the fan speeds up to above 60% based on Folding temps. I have my fans at 70%-90% depending on how hot it is getting.

DL the console client from this page:
    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

The GPU set-up guide:
    http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg...sh/WinGPUGuide

Basically, set-up a Dir for FAH, unzip the client and install/run the EXE. Enter your appropriate user and team info and let it go. You can change the core priority in advanced methods to the level you desire.
    Mike

Who-wee getting hot these days. I'm shutting them down for several hours so I can work comfortably. Room temp is hitting upwards of 82F and with two boxes on each side of me, it is like a toaster. Might see some up-down points on my end so just attribute that to the hotter days.

Thanks guys! Keep folding...we'll break into the 300's soon.
    Mike

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast