CPF's Folding @ Home team-let's help cure diseases!

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease?
Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

You can help by simply running a piece of software.
Folding@home is a distributed computing project -- people from throughout the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer takes the project closer to our goals. Folding@home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.

Let's get CPF chugging away on this again. :) Currently we are 497'th place in contributions, we can do better. :D
CPF team# 32102 and your CPF screen name.

Basic software download page:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download

Hi performance software page for those with quads and higher liner video cards. ATi 2XXX, 3XXX and 4XXX. Nvidia 8XXX, 9XXX and 200 series video cards.
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

If ya need help the Stanford site and FAQ's cover it well. For additional support there is also the Stanford F@H forums:

http://foldingforum.org/

CPF stats page from Extreme Overclocking site :
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=32102

Stanfords CPF stat page:
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?teamnum=32102&qtype=teampage

X-CPU's stat page:
http://www.xcpus.com/Folding/FoldingTeamSummary.aspx?teamID=32102&page=1

Click any of the individual members for detailed Folding info.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Join CPF's Folding @ Home team

Unfortunately F@H doesn't support GPU folding under linux very well, but I'll see what I can get wine to do one of these days. I'll keep the CPF team in mind once I get things set up... I'm in the process of completely obliterating windows from all of my machines. I'm just so tired of bluescreens, incompatabilities, bloatware, etc.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Join CPF's Folding @ Home team

The CPU folding is quite nice on Linux. Wish they would do something for those with nicer GPU's under Linux. :( F@H has had a good share of growing pains and still does...seems to improve with each generation. I've been through the frustrations myself. We'll keep a spot open for ya.

I started Folding on an AMD Socket-A 1GHz box with Win 98. Seems like ages since then.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a lot of SETI back in the day starting out on an AMD K6II. I've done some F@H in the past too but forgot about that old account long ago. I run a few projects in under the Bionic manager now but have been intermittent in my participation... especially after LHC went down. :ohgeez:
But hey, if I ever win the lotto I'll build a PS3 data crunching farm (likely cheaper and les power hungry than a few GPU enabled boxes) and get CPF rising up in the ranks. :naughty:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some videos:

Sony PS3:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...mRzESe7dPIzuqAOno6jbAQ&q=folding+@+home&hl=en

Interview with Prof. Pande on F@H:
http://video.google.com/videosearch...nt=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wv#

GPU Folding is quite quick these days. My Nvidia 8800GT cards would complete a work unit depending on complexity from 2 hours to 8 hours. The larger the protein to fold, the more points. If you have any of the higher line Nvidia 200 series, these cards scream with F@H projects. I encourage any of you who leave your system running 24/7, consider donating the spare cycles to medical research. :)

Tony Farqué built this folding rig for two family members who have Huntington's disease.
19boxes_0.png
atlasfolder-3-14-09-rightside_0.png

http://atlasfolding.com/

It's sad to learn what these disease do to people. I know I've been pushing this a bit...having family members and friends with the diseases that are being researched by Stanford motivates me.

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for joining up! :twothumbs

We moved up 2 spots in the last 24 hours, now at position 491. :clap:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i give up trying to install the smp client on my vista dual core machine it keeps saying im missing this when i try to start it mpich2mpi.dll

raggie33

*the raggedier*
may got it now there was 2 choices for the smp client in linux guess the first one i downloaded didnt work then i downloaded the exe it didnt work either but i downloaded it again and the exe worked not sure what was wrong.my slow pc may not even be worth messing with

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
i give up trying to install the smp client on my vista dual core machine it keeps saying im missing this when i try to start it mpich2mpi.dll

Are these located in the same working directory as the other client files?

This is the file listing from my F@H SMP folder: (17 files)

client.cfg
FahCore_78.exe
Folding@home-Win32-X86 (executable file)
install.bat
mpich2.dll
mpich2mpi.dll
mpich2shm.dll
mpich2shmp.dll
mpiexec.exe
MyFolding.html
readme.rtf
smpd.exe
UILANG1.UDB
Uninstall107B.DAT

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering how to easily get this working on my Kubuntu Linux machine.

I used Adept to install Kfolding, but it doesn't seem to be starting, nor can I find it by searching in the 'K' menu. I'd really like to get this working on my laptop (w/Kubuntu) that has mostly been running 24/7 lately.

I already have F@H running on my tower (w/Windows) which has been running 24/7 for many years, but would like to get it going on my laptop as well now..

(Using CPF team # as of ~2 weeks ago now.)

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
not sure i gave up on the firstclient and the one im useing now workso

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast

:thumbsup: saw your points contribution.

We're coming along. If we can nudge changsn a bit. He had 32 processors in the game and put up a run to almost 10K per day last week. I know it's costly and hot with that much going though.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ps man i sure like them vid cards above i know a system with 3 of em in tri sli.i sadly only have a 7600 gt but i took it out and am useing onbaord to save money i dont game on my pc but would if i had them type card but id fold to they fold crazy fast

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
They nudged the points up for projects 5902-4, from 1680 points to 1888 points per project. :)

Been reading a bunch of F@H stuffs...if I recall right, the dual 295 cards in that rig above is turning out ~250K points a day. He stated he pays about $540 a year on electricity to run that from his business. (Business utility is half of residential rates so any of us running that from our house would top $1K not to mention what it would require to cool.)

I'll do what I can within my boundaries. :) My immediate plans for a new pooter are shelved after some unforeseen expenses. Just when I thought there was a bit of extra $$ to play with...something important breaks. :(

Raggie, I thought you might have got my old 7300 or 7600 vid cards...almost.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=182882

;)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
nah got m,y 7600 gt at frys when they had a crazy sale my next card will be one biult on a 45nm gpu when they come out and ill get the lowend card in that videocard class

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened

Are you talking about a Linux client here? If so, let me know which worked for you. PLEASE.

I've been trying to install according to the directions on 'Stanford' and looked at the other suggestions here.. I still can't get the 'effin crap to work!

F**k, I'm so 'effin mad now! It's becoming a G** D*** quest to get this 'Effin GD thing working with Kubuntu Linux now!! :rant: :mad:
:wtf:
Linux is supposedly becoming more popular, so why is this stupid little thing causing so much trouble!?? :mad:

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Are you talking about a Linux client here? If so, let me know which worked for you. PLEASE.

I've been trying to install according to the directions on 'Stanford' and looked at the other suggestions here.. I still can't get the 'effin crap to work!

F**k, I'm so 'effin mad now! It's becoming a G** D*** quest to get this 'Effin GD thing working with Kubuntu Linux now!! :rant: :mad:
:wtf:
Linux is supposedly becoming more popular, so why is this stupid little thing causing so much trouble!?? :mad:

sorry windows here may try linux in a few days

AuroraAlpha

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I have the 'High-Performence nVidia GPU' client running on my machine. Getting it to work was a pain because nVidia doesn't actually support the 570M with continued updates, and the OEM driver didn't support CUDA, but a modified INF and unsigned driver was enough to fix that!

Seem like this unit is going to take somewhere around 10-14 hours. How does that compare to most people's expereince?