Maxpedition - Unterduffel
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CPF's Folding @ Home team-let's help cure diseases!

Default Re: CPF's Folding @ Home team-let's help cure diseases!

Quote Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
    Who-wee getting hot these days. I'm shutting them down for several hours so I can work comfortably. Room temp is hitting upwards of 82F and with two boxes on each side of me, it is like a toaster. Might see some up-down points on my end so just attribute that to the hotter days.

Thanks guys! Keep folding...we'll break into the 300's soon.

Consider yourself lucky. Our bedroom is 82F at night and we've got the coolest room in the house. The poor couple in the back room have to deal with up to 93F temps *at night*, in their room. Right now, they're probably dealing with 87F night time temps. I've always wondered if it was legal for an apartment room to reach those temperatures and not be equipped with AC. They've got a portable air conditioner, but during the hot summer nights, it only lowers the temp by a maximum of 2 degrees, so it's still 90-91F in there. I think, what their room (and the kitchen) really needs is to be better insulated. I wonder if the city can mandate that the landlord take care of the problem?
    That's it. No more lights! (ok, maybe just a few more.)

That is pretty warm to try and sleep to. Perhaps a window A/C unit will help and it doesn't require all the red tape of the landlord unless they have clauses in the agreement.
    Mike

It's been awhile since I checked in, but it's great to see this effort revived. RA40 - you should be passing me in a bit - nice job, keep the heat on me...
    Sam
    Romisen NC-G2, MTE SSC P4,MaxLite II, Civictor, LiteFlux1, Nuwai TM-115x, VB-16, Dorcy Super 1 Watt, UKeLED, CMG reactor

Glad you checked in changsn, you've contributed a lot to the CPF team and F@H
    We're making consistent progress.
    Mike

We're into the 300's now, let's keep the heat up. Also literally...
    Mike

What a dive today...the connection went down last night about 11 PM. I figured once it was restored, things would resume as normal. Well, along the way it also disrupted the router so nothing came in or out. Usually the room is quite warm in the mornings but it was feeling coolish. <dooh> No WU's for 11 hours.
    Mike

Wow...the latest batch of GPU WU's are nice. Projects 5773-5798 run cool and give good points at 787 each. The 8800GT card steps in 2.2X min.sec while the GTX 260 C216 does them in 1.1X min.sec. A WU in just over an hour on the GTX and over 2 hours for the slower cards.

Looking forward to the next hardware update but Nvidia seems a bit slow to bring new toys to the game. A GTX 295 co-op is still ~$500. Wish the GTX 275 were a bit nicer in energy consumption and heat... Just have to wait and see.

We're doing good guys...
    Mike

Enlightened

Wow...the latest batch of GPU WU's are nice. Projects 5773-5798 run cool and give good points at 787 each. The 8800GT card steps in 2.2X min.sec while the GTX 260 C216 does them in 1.1X min.sec. A WU in just over an hour on the GTX and over 2 hours for the slower cards.

Looking forward to the next hardware update but Nvidia seems a bit slow to bring new toys to the game. A GTX 295 co-op is still ~$500. Wish the GTX 275 were a bit nicer in energy consumption and heat... Just have to wait and see.

We're doing good guys...
    Wow I can't believe how fast those GPUs blast through the WUs. You are pulling in 16,000+ points per day with only a couple GPUs. I am running 8-10 2.4GHz+ CPUs and can only pull in 2000-3000 points per day.

The Nvidia GPU's do crunch them quickly. Amazing how powerful the GPU's have become in terms of processing power applied to F@H. Either way, CPU, GPU PS3...the results for science are helpful.

This current thread on Nividia video cards is a good read. Also there is a chart if considering hardware purchases for Folding and the $ to point ratio:
    http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=11077

The raw PPD chart for various Nvidia cards:
    http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...man666/PPD.png
    Mike

Flashaholic

Just added myself to the team. I used to run SETI@home and RC-5 back in the day for Team AnandTech... looks like they're one of the frontrunners for this one, rank 19 overall!

Edit:

Got a couple machines up and running - my dual core laptop, PS3 - will try to get my wife's laptop (athlon64 dual core) and desktop (athlon64 black quad with SLI'd nvidia geforce 9600GTS) running when she's not looking.
    Last edited by jchoo; 08-30-2009 at 06:18 PM.
    What are your rights and your life worth to you?

Thanks for joining the CPF team.
    Mike

Still waiting on a good quality Linux + ATI F@H solution... Wine hasn't been too reliable so far; still tinkering. So I continue giving my idle time to BIONIC projects like SETI, World Community Grid, Fight Aids @Home, etc.
    Glad to hear the CPF team is doing well though.
    Neutral white, it's the new black.

Those running the GPU, watch some of the 57XX work units. Woke up today to find one that had had this message:

[09:29:33] Project: 5772 (Run 12, Clone 144, Gen 256)
    [09:29:33]
    [09:29:33] Assembly optimizations on if available.
    [09:29:33] Entering M.D.
    [09:29:39] Working on Protein
    [09:29:40] Client config found, loading data.
    [09:29:40] mdrun_gpu returned
    [09:29:40] SHAKE violations on GPU
    [09:29:40]
    [09:29:40] Folding@home Core Shutdown: UNSTABLE_MACHINE
    [09:29:43] CoreStatus = 7A (122)
    That was good for a 24 hour shutdown...luckily I caught it this morning so it was only 9 hours into the shut down. By killing the offending WU and restarting the client you can get a new WU to process.
    Mike

Looks like something happened to my boxes. Frustrating to see them go offline like that. Hang in there guys...once I get back, I'll get them going again.
    Mike

Thanks for hanging in there guys. Looks like my router went down... Still having some intermittent issues but I can keep an eye on it now.
    Mike

Enlightened

I was beginning to think you had quit. Good to see you back at it again.

Glad they are back Folding again. We'd flapped to Japan during that time and it was a downer to see that something had happened to F@H. I was hoping there wouldn't be any problems, Murphy happens.
    Mike

The new GPU WU's are killers, one of the vid cards is hitting 81C with the 10101 WU's. Still chugging log though. Would be nice to recruit a few more to contribute for the CPF team.

I know we have some gamers here...how about helping us with your ATi or Nvidia GPU's? CPU's fine also. All this helps Stanford medical research projects.

Let's keep CPF chugging away on this. Currently we are 357'th place in contributions, we can do better with your help.
    CPF team# 32102 and your CPF screen name.

Basic software download page:
    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download

Hi performance software page for those with quads and higher liner video cards. ATi 2XXX, 3XXX and 4XXX. Nvidia 8XXX, 9XXX and 200 series video cards.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

If ya need help the Stanford site and FAQ's cover it well. For additional support there is also the Stanford F@H forums or ask here:

http://foldingforum.org/

CPF stats page from Extreme Overclocking site :
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...php?s=&t=32102
    Mike

We've been having some bad thunderstorms, so far power has gone out twice. I'm going to shut the Folding down till the storm passes. May have already killed the two SMP WU's that were fairly far along. Will get them going on Sat most likely.

r_x...looks like you have a quad going.
    Mike

Enlightened

r_x...looks like you have a quad going.
    Ya, I have a quad, dual and single core machines currently running. I just fired up another quad core this morning so my first WUs should be completing very shortly.

I'm also hoping to have a GPU running soon, but I will need a new power supply first.

Good deal! Much appreciated you're bringing these into project.

The other night an unfortunate call came in that an aunt had passed from pancreatic cancer. Our family doesn't have many incidents of cancer (2) and it is sad to learn of the hardship caused by these diseases. For the family members and friends whom have passed from these and other diseases...it strengthens my resolve to donate computer cycles to Stanford's research.

Last week I added an AMD 550 X2 and got the 7750 X2 running SMP. Both pretty slow but they can do their part. The 550 is OC'd to a modest 3.46 GHz (3.1 stock) and the 7750 at 3.0GHz (2.7 stock). Once AMD has their new CPU's out, I may see about some quads to Fold with. Video card prices haven't dropped like I thought they would. Even though the WU turn-around is faster with them, I feel some of the SMP is equally important to run.

The other aspect is that my work room is comfortable with the pooters Folding.
    Mike

Enlightened

Au Re: CPF's Folding @ Home team-let's help cure diseases!

Sorry for your loss. I have also lost family members and this is the reason I fold.

Just added another quad core today. That makes 3 quad cores, a dual and a single.

I have been looking at the Geforce GT240 for a folding GPU. They seem to be good for about 3000 or so ppd. They do not require external power and they only run about $100 Canadian. It would pump out more ppd than my dual and single core machines combined.
    Last edited by r_x; 02-08-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks RX. It's nice we can contribute for a common goal and the benefits will help the generations to come. How are prices for the 9800GT? Although that one does require the 6 pin power connector.

Chooie has also bumped up production...we're humming along.

One of my dual cores is struggling, now and then it EUE's and I cannot figure out what is causing it. Like 1:6 will EUE. I know it not bad WU's with that consistency. The other one hasn't had a problem. Have ran Memtest, other CPU utilities. No auto updates to disturb F@H...I'm stuck. Might have to stop Folding with it.
    Mike

Picked-up an AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE CPU last night. Got it plugged in this evening so we'll see what it can do. Prior stepping was about 21 minutes, the quad is at 16 minutes a step. It is running hotter so I'll need a new heat sink before I can start OC'ing it.

Now waiting for NVIDIA to release some new video cards.
    Mike

Stanford has released the SMP A3 core for projects 6011-6025. Using the passkey in the client config they are assigning bonus points for those qualifying SMP WU's when completed early.

Info here:
    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey

I've implemented the passkey for my clients and will soon switch the SMP client to Fold on the A3 core. These are not big point work units but are among the advanced method folding projects. I'm curious to see what the bonus points will be relative to the WU time.

In the meantime, my PPD will drop over the next 4-5 days as these are run. There is a probation period where X number of WU's must be completed before bonus points are given. I read the page but can't find it to link at the moment. When you see my PPD drop...wanted to give you a head's up.

We're doing well. Thanks for your contributions to the F@H project!
    Mike

Enlightened

Stanford has released the SMP A3 core for projects 6011-6025. Using the passkey in the client config they are assigning bonus points for those qualifying SMP WU's when completed early.

Info here:
    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey

I've implemented the passkey for my clients and will soon switch the SMP client to Fold on the A3 core. These are not big point work units but are among the advanced method folding projects. I'm curious to see what the bonus points will be relative to the WU time.

In the meantime, my PPD will drop over the next 4-5 days as these are run. There is a probation period where X number of WU's must be completed before bonus points are given. I read the page but can't find it to link at the moment. When you see my PPD drop...wanted to give you a head's up.

We're doing well. Thanks for your contributions to the F@H project!

Nice. I just switched my 3 quad cores to the A3 units. One has already started and the other 2 should be starting the new units in the next few hours. Hopefully I can get a nice boost in points if the bonus system works out.

r_x - Who-wee...those points to WU you took in look very good.
    Mike

One of the 8800GT cards decided it wants to take a southward vacation. EVGA has approved an RMA so I'm waiting on the process. Will be down while this is sorted out.

Hang tight guys...and thanks for your continued contributions.
    Mike

Enlightened

Hopefully it doesn't take too long for the RMA process. Any idea how it died? Heat from the folding?

These A3 units have been giving me a nice boost in points, and they just added more A3 projects.

I can only suspect heat and the card has seen a range of temps in use. The highest caught was 82C during one of the heat spells last summer/fall. EVGA should get the card today and I'll check middle next week if they've diagnosed the board for the problem.

The GTX 260 froze/artifact last night. It was idling on the desktop (With F@H running) when it did this. Might be a stray bad WU but usually it just EUE's and goes on, doesn't crash the card. I'll have to inquire what that might have been.

You've been pulling some good points with the a3 core bonus.
    Mike