2x CR123 battery holder?

MMACH 5

Newly Enlightened
On my bike, I have a headlight running off of a DIY external 4x AA battery pack and three tail lights running off a DIY external 2x AA battery pack.

I'm using rechargeable batteries(1.2v) so instead of pushing 6v and 3v, respectively, the lights are functioning on 4.8v and 2.4v.

So, on my ride home the other night, I had an "ah-ha" moment. I can run these off rechargeable CR123 batteries. I could reduce my load from 6x AA (plus 4 spares) to 3x CR123 (plus 2 spares) as well as increase the juice going to my lights.

I've been able to find single battery holders for CR123 batteries, but have had no luck finding one that will allow me to run two in a series. I'm considering using PVC pipe, if I can find some with the correct diameter (similar to a flashlight's battery configuration). I'd just have to put connectors in the end caps and keep one end lubed so I could get it open to change out the batteries.
Otherwise, I guess I'll have to wire two single battery holders together, right?

Whatever way I come up with will have to be waterproof.

Any other ideas on how to accomplish this?
Thanks.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use one of those Coughlan match cases as well.

I just put a couple of strips of hobby foam down each side and at the ends to address rattling cells.

BTW, is the MEC site displaying OK for others? I've been having issues with it for several days.

MMACH 5

Newly Enlightened
I'll pick one up tomorrow and see how hard it will be to put contacts in the ends.

Thanks.

punk0

Newly Enlightened
Do you know any place that sells them online and ships to europe?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pardon me for not having exact information but I want to bring something up that perhaps someone else may be able to clarify.

I seem to recall reading a few years ago that it is somewhat dangerous to use two rechargable 123s in series. If I recall correctly this hazard has been resolved by the manufacture of a single rechargable battery which emulates the voltage and is the same size as 2 rcr123 cells. You may just drop one of them into any 2Xcr123 light or other device. Unfortunately, I can't remember the designation of this battery as that is one form factor/chemistry where I don't use secondary cells.

I don't know if there is a safe way to replace 3cr123s with secondaries in series.

EDIT: Now that I start looking into it I'm starting to wonder if there is a secondary battery that equals the voltage of 2 rcr123s (8.4v max).

EDIT: I did some searching around and found quite a few examples of folks using 2Xrcr123s so maybe I'm just out of my mind. Oh well.

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 17670 cell is the same size as 2xCR123A cells.

17670 cells do not match the voltage of a pair of CR1213A primaries though (3.7-4.2V vs ??-6.0V), so if the light needs more than 4.2V it wouldn't necessarily work right.

ljtexeira

Newly Enlightened
See http://countycomm.com/CBH.htm for a nice 4 cell CR123 holder, that could probably be modded to wire the cells in series without a great deal of difficulty.

They also have pouches for the holders, that once treated with something like ScotchGard, could possibly provide enough waterproofing for a bicycle on a rainy day.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

USARoyce

Newly Enlightened
On my bike, I have a headlight running off of a DIY external 4x AA battery pack and three tail lights running off a DIY external 2x AA battery pack.

I'm using rechargeable batteries(1.2v) so instead of pushing 6v and 3v, respectively, the lights are functioning on 4.8v and 2.4v.

So, on my ride home the other night, I had an "ah-ha" moment. I can run these off rechargeable CR123 batteries. I could reduce my load from 6x AA (plus 4 spares) to 3x CR123 (plus 2 spares) as well as increase the juice going to my lights.

I've been able to find single battery holders for CR123 batteries, but have had no luck finding one that will allow me to run two in a series. I'm considering using PVC pipe, if I can find some with the correct diameter (similar to a flashlight's battery configuration). I'd just have to put connectors in the end caps and keep one end lubed so I could get it open to change out the batteries.
Otherwise, I guess I'll have to wire two single battery holders together, right?

Whatever way I come up with will have to be waterproof.

Any other ideas on how to accomplish this?
Thanks.

1) I Use a single 18650 holder and cut the spring down on the negative side, then (2) cr123's will fit in series.
2) Also you can use a holder that holds (3) 18650's, they are easy to find and have the same voltage, you can purchase at http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dkse...ucts=0&ptm=0&fid=0&quantity=0&PV32=189&PV36=2 for $4.87

Don

Latest posts