Stanley 5 Watt LED Spotlight

Sadsack

Newly Enlightened
I was just over at Wal-Mart buying the new Stanley HID light when I noticed that Stanley also has a new 5w LED spotlight. The light is super compact [smaller than the Husky 3w at Home Depot].It has a 7.2 NiMH battery and is rated at 192 lumens. Has anybody tried one yet? lovecpf

Patriot

Flashaholic
not as impressive when at that very moment you're carrying a 225 lumen 1xAA light in your pocket :D

Ditto. The big LED spots just aren't my thing. They're just isn't enough demand for manufacturers to invest big money to develop spots that will impress enthusiasts like myself. I would need to see multiple-P7 or MC-E's in large arrays. This would require a lot of metal heat sinking and sophisticated design which would in turn drive the price up. Already modders are installing multi die LED's in tiny hosts which push 500 lumens or more which reveals the 190 lumen, 3 pound spot for the dinosaur that it is.

tn6110

Newly Enlightened
I saw the 5 W Stanley too. I could be wrong but I sort of doubt it weighs anywhere near 3 lbs. It is a much smaller spot than some. Still, I doubt it will impress many folks here at CPF. It is much smaller than the Dorcy 120 lumens LED spotlight.

Last edited:

tn6110

Newly Enlightened
Yes it is Nimh. 7.2 Volts I think. It just barely qualifies as a spot in my book. Still, with it's decent sized reflector I'm sure it throws well for what it is. It is definintly a small spotlight.

I just went to Amazon and looked this light up. I thought it said NIMH at Wallyworld but it says it is Nicad at Amazon. And says it weighs one lb.

Last edited:

Richie086

Enlightened
I was just over at Wal-Mart buying the new Stanley HID light when I noticed that Stanley also has a new 5w LED spotlight. The light is super compact [smaller than the Husky 3w at Home Depot].It has a 7.2 NiMH battery and is rated at 192 lumens. Has anybody tried one yet? lovecpf

Hey SadSack,

When picking up my Stanley HID this morning, I noticed that nice compact 5w LED you mentioned. I didn't purchase it, but really liked the very small gun-type handheld size. The LED seemed very centered in the reflector. I'd be very interested to see it compared to some of the other LED flashlights already floating around the forum.

Sadsack

Newly Enlightened
Hey SadSack,

When picking up my Stanley HID this morning, I noticed that nice compact 5w LED you mentioned. I didn't purchase it, but really liked the very small gun-type handheld size. The LED seemed very centered in the reflector. I'd be very interested to see it compared to some of the other LED flashlights already floating around the forum.
Like I stated in the Op I didn't buy it either because I was there to buy the HID and who the heck would want to go home and play with a little LED spotlight when they just bought a HID. That being said, I still thought it looked like a nice little light for the money and should compare favorable to the Home depot Husky 3 watt which seemed to have quite a bit of interest in another thread on this forum. I own the Husky 3w and IMHO it's a very handy little light to use. I drive a truck at night and it works real well for finding trailer numbers in the dark. It rides inside a cup holder and the pistol grip form factor is nice when inside a vehicle. I just thought the new Stanley 5 watt one would be a step up but still be in the same niche. I'm not trying to compare apples to oranges here.
Sadsack :wave:

nnmnu

Newly Enlightened
I saw this too and im wondering if it would be worthwhile to purchase

nnmnu

Newly Enlightened
Hey I bought one today. Initial thoughts are that this is a nice little light. fits in the hand nicely and is pretty light. It has a dimmer feature that is kind of neat, you hold the down arrow to dim it and the up arrow to brighten it and it beeps when its at its lowest and max output. the only thing I dont like is when you put it at its max setting and then turn it off and the next time it comes on isnt where you set it. Its fairly bright, it should have good throw.

maybe I'll get pictures up and beamshots later when its darker

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'd wager it's a pretty good thrower since it's single-emitter in a large reflector. This wouldn't normally be a big deal since you can mod a Mag to be the same thing, but the ~$25 price point of the Stanley certainly makes it stand out.

Looking forward to some pics, don't forget to compare it to some other lights..

nnmnu

Newly Enlightened
sorry guys its raining out so I cant get any good beam shots, But I was comparing it to my stock 3d mag led and its way brighter and throws much farther than it.

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I just bought this Stanley 5 watt LED spotlight, and it is amazing! IMO it is well worth the $40 for what a quality light it is. It out throws the Husky 2D 4 watt tactical, is about equal to the Husky 3W LED spotlight in throw, and is surprisingly close to the Dorcy 220 lumen. The Dorcy 6 watt LED spotlight still out throws of all of these due to its giant reflector (see my pictures of the Dorcy 6 watt HERE).

The Stanley has a red light to indicate charging and it turns green along with a beep when it is full. I don't know its runtime yet. It has two buttons on the back to adjust brightness. In my beamshot it is on high. EDIT: It was actually not on high for the first beamshot as I mistook the default brightness for being high. I have now posted one of it on the actual high mode. It uses a 5 watt CREE XR-E emitter, and the output is astonishing!

Here is a picture of the Stanley LED spotlight:
-----thelights3.jpg

Reflector shot of the Stanley:
----thelights5.jpg

Here it is next to the Husky 2D, Dorcy 220 and Husky 3W LED spotlight:
------thelightss.jpg

Reflector comparison between these three lights:
----thelights4.jpg

Stanley and Husky LED spotlights:
----thelightss2.jpg

Husky 2D shining at a shed 50 yards away:
XXXXXXXXXHusky.jpg

Husky 3 watt LED spotlight:
XXXXXXXXXXX3W.jpg

Dorcy 220 lumen:
XXXXXXXXXDorcy220.jpg

Stanley LED spotlight on default brightness:
XXXXXXXXXXXStanleyLED.jpg

Stanley LED spotlight turned up to maximum brightness:
STANLEYHIGH.jpg

Dorcy 6 watt LED spotlight:
XXXXXXXDorcy6w.jpg

Coleman 530 lumen LED spotlight:
COLEMANSHOT.jpg

The new Stanley LED spotlight is my favorite LED light yet, and I will be EDC'ing it even though it is very large for that. I will be taking it on walks and I am amazed at its well formed beam and bright center hotspot! It is indeed an incredible thrower!:thumbsup:

ADDED:

Here is the Stanley LED spotlight shining at my house from 30 yards away:
stanleyledhouse.jpg

Last edited:

nnmnu

Newly Enlightened
Bluebeam22,

thanks for putting up beamshots, I tried and couldn't get any good shots

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Bluebeam22,

thanks for putting up beamshots, I tried and couldn't get any good shots

Thanks nnmnu! I was very impressed by this light last night when I took it out to some large dark fields for testing. It was able to illuminate trees up to around 300 yards and has a very tight and concentrated beam. It still seems about the same as the Husky 3W LED spotlight from Home Depot as far as output and throw, but in my opinion the Stanley has a better formed beam and perfectly centered hotspot in the middle.