Olight

View Poll Results: Victorinox or Wenger?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Victorinox

115 83.94%
  • Wenger

22 16.06%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Victorinox or Wenger?

Default Re: Victorinox or Wenger?

Exactly 100 Votes now !

Flashaholic

You have awakened a thread from the dead shelm. Up until recently I would have said Victorinox as that is what I have. But I got me nephew (13) a Wenger EvoGrip 16 recently and really liked it. Oh! he does too. The grip inserts make it seem just a little more secure to handle. So Wenger today for me, help them out a bit in the poll. 101 votes now Burgess, more to come maybe??.
    186,232 miles per second. The speed of the light from all our flashlights.

I worked at an industrial plant for over 32 years. When anyone needed their knives sharpened, they always broght them to me. The steel in Victorinox knives is way better than Wenger. The Wengers always felt cheap compared to the Victorinox. I would climb over a pile of Wenger's to get to one Victorinox!

Charley

awesome old thread bump, but I was thinking of this a few months back. I decided the victorinox looks much classier so I went with them. I really like the vic. accessories too.

I would never voluntarily buy a classic SAK.

Had a few as a kid, all Victorinox, and found these are really poor quality for the price.

But if i had to buy one, with a gun in my back, i would pick the Wenger as i would think it could not come worse than Victorinox.

Cheers

RBR

I haven't had hundreds or even dozens of both brands to form a REALLY strong opinion...

But I voted Vic and tend to prefer Vic in most cases. My Alox Cadet is a work of art! And I prefer the scissors on a Classic to the somewhat serrated ones on a Wenger.
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by RBR View Post
    I would never voluntarily buy a classic SAK.

Had a few as a kid, all Victorinox, and found these are really poor quality for the price.

But if i had to buy one, with a gun in my back, i would pick the Wenger as i would think it could not come worse than Victorinox.

Cheers

RBR

Just a few days ago I thought about how impressed I was about Victorinox quality in relation to the price.

I had a Cadet alox that I recently have lost, hopefully it's somewhere in my house and will show up some day.
    That's a really great knife to pocket carry.

I bought a Vic Electrician as a gift and liked it so much that I had to get one for my self also.

My older Vics are with red plastic scales and are in very good shape, but one (20-25 years old) has a small piece broken off from the scale.
    That doesnt matter for it's function.

About the Vic vs Wenger I don't know but I thought they had the same blade steel, maybe I was wrong

Edit: I found it! My lost Cadet was in my sofa.
    Last edited by GunnarGG; 06-05-2012 at 12:12 PM.

I like Wenger knives . It's simple.

Enlightened

For my usage, I tend to use the Wenger more so I guess it's Wenger for me.

from what I read a few years back that Victorinox was the Military focused version of knives and Wenger was the Civilian focused knife - hence why they're lesser quality structurally, compared to Victorinox and usually lesser in price...

Similar to Spyderco and its secondary company Byrd - to which I am very fond of due to their quality and hugely lesser price point in comparison to Spyderco!

Each to their own I guess - horses for courses...

Flashaholic

I voted for Wenger last month but, I just got a Victorinox Alox Cadet. It is superb. Great little knives SAK's. I feel a collection coming on.

Perhaps a year ago . . . .

Bought my father a Victorinox Cadet (silver alox), and he Loves it !

He carries it *every single day* ! ! !

Replaces the "free" (promotional item) Totally JUNK "tiny folding knife"

which he had carried for several years.

I gladly threw that Piece of Sewage in the Garbage !

Is it just me or are the little blades of a Classic a bit harder to sharpen than larger blades?
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by PlayboyJoeShmoe View Post
    Is it just me or are the little blades of a Classic a bit harder to sharpen than larger blades?
    Yes. I think you might be right. Mine seem slightly sharper aswell. Weird.

Not sure what your goint to use it for but I love both my Victorinox.... I have an EDC and one that stays in my desk drawer. As you can see in the picture I don't clean or maintain them very well and they still operate great. Im currently also shopping for a new SAK for edc and when compared side by side, Im 100% certain my third will be a Vitorinox.

My wife's uncle got me a Wenger "Swiss clipper" for Christmas probably about 5 years ago. He has since passed, and this is what I carry with me every day.

It has served me very well, but my only critique is that the locking mechanism for the nail clippers is attached to the hole that the split-ring attaches to (and in my version, at least, it's plastic). It appears on the picture I grabbed from their website, this is metal and it appears that it might be a fixed piece.

Anyway, because the split-ring is attached to the locking mechanism, it's possible for the nail clippers to unlock in your pocket and come loose.

This particular piece has sentimental value because it's from my wife's uncle, so I'll continue to carry it, but a few years ago, I removed it from my key ring to avoid the above problem.

I know that doesn't necessarily answer the "Victorinox vs Wenger" question directly and I didn't choose this, as it was a gift, and I won't get rid of it for some time... but, by default, it's Wenger for me!

I'd say Wenger for a couple of reasons:

1) I've owned a Wenger Spartan since I was about 10 (+-3 years), I'm now 23. It still snaps open and shut like it's new. My girlfriend has owned a Victorianox for a similar amount of time, but the other day she told me she couldn't open some of the tools. I have since cleaned/oiled it, and it is much better, but the knife slipjoint doesn't snap shut like mine does. I'll note that this may not be a good test; it's probably due to neglect and lack of maintenance on her part...

2) They have a locking screwdriver.

3) I like the logo better.

4) The new Evo and Wood designs look nice (although I don't have one).

Ultimately it's just my preference; probably both equally good, just Vic is more popular. I don't know if anything has changed since they were taken over by Vic either.

In Summary........Victorinox all the way baby!!

Default Victorinox or Wenger?

I guess this is a good place to make my first forum post. I purchased a Victorinox Climber when I was a teenager and it has served me flawlessly over the years. Since then, I've added a few more that have equally impressed me. I've never owned a Wenger so I can't comment on them.

The image on the right is my faithful Climber that has made many backpacking trips more enjoyable. The two on the left both have LED lights.

Back in the late '60s early '70s I received a Swisschamp from my father so that I wouldn't always be `borrowing' his. Over the years I've since picked up 3 more of them, either new or with very close to unused, as `backups' for the one my father gave as I discovered that they were starting make changes, which I really didn't `appreciate', to them. While I still have those backups `salted away' I'm still using my original one even though I accidently chipped the end of the file/metal saw blade and modded it. (The `mod' to the file/metal saw blade's tip, unlike the original tip, actually now is a very useful fingernail cleaner that I'd probably go nuts not having it if I had to pull out one of my backups for use.) My original one has been dropped, run over by cars, pickups, ensilage trucks, and assorted tractors and with only the aforementioned `dinging' of the tip of file/metal saw blade and assorted `bruises' to the scales has kept on `keeping on'. The original leather holster, with the `cut in the back' (I hate the newer sewn on ones!) belt loop along with, of course, the knife has been a fixture on my belt every day since I bought it with the knife. The *very few* times I have had to forego carrying it on my belt I've literally felt `stark naked'! (Carrying the pair any other way, like in my leather shoulder bag or the knife alone in my pocket is only *slightly* less bothersome. {WAN GRIN!})

Now days I also have CyberTool 34 that I carry with me in my shoulder bag whenever I am possibly going to have to do any work that my SOG Power Pliers (The *Original* model with the wide jaws *not* the one with the `needlenose' jaws!) or Kershaw locking plier tool can't do as `neatly'.

A while back my teenage daughter was out shopping and came home with a Wenger that she thought was `like your SAK'. After comparing it to my old beat up SAK the next day she went back to the place she bought it, actually managed to get them to give her a refund and went to another store and, using one of my `spares' bought a Victorinox SAK. (As she currently isn't home yet, and I or SWMBO cannot find the packaging, I cannot say what model/version it is. But, with a few exceptions it's awfully similar to my SwissChamps.) My teenage son hasn't, yet, expressed a desire for a SAK of his own but I expect that he'll end up getting one eventually. SWMBO also has a smaller `Vic' SAK that hangs off of her keyring but hasn't really expressed a need/want for a bigger model, yet. (I've got a feeling she's holding out hoping that Victorinox comes out with a model she can use for her sewing as she isn't doing any turntable/tapedeck repair work like she used to do these days. Until then she'll probably just ask, like she sometimes does, to borrow mine or one of the children's SAKs *if* she needs something more than the one on her keychain.)

Oh, BTW, even though this is an SAK thread, I'll admit that I also sometimes carry either a Kershaw `speedsafe', usually a Leek w/G10 scales, or a ZT, usually a 0150, fixed blade knife either concurrently with or instead of my SAK depending upon what I'm doing or where I'm going. While I am not yet a `certified' "Flashaholic" per se I've pretty much always carried at least one flashlight, currently a Sunwayman V10-Ti, along with at least one knife as both are `basic useful' `tools'. Besides they go together like the proverbial `horse-n-carriage'. Especially if one lives out in the country on a farm. {VB GRIN!}

Just an `Olde Fart's 2˘ worth? {CHORTLE!}
    Last edited by Halfpint; 02-11-2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: FFS
    Doleo ergo sum,
    Halfpint
    Show me a piano falling down a mineshaft and I'll show you A-flat miner.