Classic Surefire E1 P7 mod...

Pontiaker

Enlightened
I milled out the inside of the head, removed the reflector and cut down the outside diam of my Nailbender P7 drop in and installed it into my little old E1. Its all flood, needs a tir or aspheric. If anyone knows where I can get one to install in this please let me know.Beamshot is like 12 inches from the wall/backround I use for pics. the head is not engauging the o-ring so I still need to shorten the drop in.
Thanks!
Matt

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Illum

Flashaholic
I dont know, tell me how to measure it with my Fluke 87 and I will let you know. Iam such a newb!

Thanks guys!
Matt

Assuming your Fluke looks like this

Set your meter to the ma/A setting, should be the 2 o'clock position
unscrew the Tailcap of your E1e
Unplug the red chord from the V socket [as shown above] and connect it with the "A" socket for the current value
DO NOT use the ma socket being that its fused and usually under an amp
Bridge the contact probes: one to the light body the other on the negative end of the 13640 and it should give you a reading while the light lights up.
The Black probe goes to the battery and the Red to the wall

Last edited:

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Assuming your Fluke looks like this

Set your meter to the ma/A setting, should be the 2 o'clock position
unscrew the Tailcap of your E1e
Unplug the red chord from the V socket [as shown above] and connect it with the "A" socket for the current value
DO NOT use the ma socket being that its fused and usually under an amp
Bridge the contact probes: one to the light body the other on the negative end of the 13640 and it should give you a reading while the light lights up.
The Black probe goes to the battery and the Red to the wall
Thank you very much! I was an auto tech for 18 years but got out of that about 8 years ago so I have not had much practice with the meter. Great info and something i need to know for sure!
Thanks!
Matt

Pontiaker

Enlightened
I tried doing this but nothing happens, the light will not come on and I can not get any reading.Iam not sure whats going on.....

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to be using the 10 amp setting and plugged into the 10 amp port if it is like mine. If you use the other there is too much resistance.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried doing this but nothing happens, the light will not come on and I can not get any reading.Iam not sure whats going on.....

Oh dear you've knackered it, did the magic smoke come out? it'll be no good now, I'll PM you my address and I'll take it for scrap metal value................no?

Oh C'mon it was worth a try. :naughty:

Nice mod, looking forward to what you come up with next.

Illum

Flashaholic
Does your Fluke turn on?

If he knackered it the battery protection will have tripped and his battery will read 0V, if not there isn't a short, just a blown fuse.

If your Fluke is the one pictured and you plugged it into the ma plug, you've just fried a built-in 400ma fuse. If you plugged the wire into the 10A line the fuse will never go because the battery is only capable of outputting 2.5C given the protection circuit is active. 2.5x[2.2AH]= 5.5Amps given a short
If you left it on the V plug or set the dial anywhere except the ma/A setting, your fluke's probably very very confused at this point

Pontiaker

Enlightened
I did it just like he said but the fuse could be blown from something that happened years ago....That might be why it doesn't work.