Click to visit Lumintop new flashlights!

View Poll Results: Do you collect/enjoy firearms

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have more guns than flashlights

56 33.94%
  • I like guns but because of cost I have more flashlights than firearms

87 52.73%
  • I dont like guns and dont own any

10 6.06%
  • Guns??? I've never even seen one in person

12 7.27%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firearms and Flashoholics

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Firearms and Flashoholics

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot36 View Post
    ... An unlimited 9x23 or .38 Super Major can run twice that price...
    ..niiiiiiicce.......

Anybody besides me having trouble finding ammo or even reloading components, lately?...

While I've bought and then sold several handguns since I was of age (roughly 8 of them), I currently own only one. Oddly enough it's the very first one I purchased and has remained my favorite despite others being of much higher value. I know the argument for utility holds no water here on CPF (the ol' "there's no reason to own more than XX lights"), but for me, one firearm is enough. Granted if I had the disposable income at hand, I'd probably own several. So yes, I'm a proud gun owner, but my light collection far outnumbers my firearms.

"From my Cold Dead Hands!!!"

I am just getting into flashlights, so right now guns might be in the lead

But, with the overwhelmingly abundunce of info on this site, that might not be the case a year from now

Quote Originally Posted by PetaBread View Post
    I plan to own one though, and if not, I'll just get a pellet gun (Which i also plan to get for pest control).
    Modern day pests are not ball shaped with big eyes, furry with a long tail, and often found in petshops...although it you have those pellet guns will do fine. Within city limits a higher caliber air gun might be whats needed

Several years ago I've heard of people shooting field mice with .45ACPs...you can imagine how cheap ammo was back then.

Sigman, you live in bear country, I'd imagine you'll need something that will shoot something the size of a wine cork nowadays as bears move lower and lower south to find food.

Technology for guns have stayed relatively the same after the conversion from flintlock to percussion...and the only variances I can see are different propellant compositions.

Lights on the other hand changed alot, compared to the increase in price of ammunition batteries have remained relative unchanged...except for the adjustment in inflation.

I own only flashlights at this point, but I hope to acquire some models in firearms in the future. I'm not against the right to bear arms, but I'm against the use of lethal force when less-lethal alternatives can be considered. Of course, its hard to reason with a pig scurrying about in the brush and threatening to charge...

Ammunition costs have increased alot since 20 years ago...or more. I remember when 22LRs are around $0.01/shot, now its what? a nickel? thats a huge leap! CR123As have been $1.50 since I first bought one online in 2006...its still $1.50 today.

EDIT: 03302011: I now possess 3 rifles, a pistol, and getting a shotgun soon
    7.65x53, 7.92x57, 40SW....
    Last edited by Illum; 03-30-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Flashaholic*

Where's the 'I like guns but because of local legislation I have none' option?

If it weren't for that I'd probably have an order of magnitude more guns than lights.. This is a hobby I ended up with as a replacement for what I can't have.

"I carry a gun, because a cop is to heavy."

My flashlights though far outnumber my firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post

If it weren't for that I'd probably have an order of magnitude more guns than lights.. This is a hobby I ended up with as a replacement for what I can't have.

Sorry .... I feel your pain ... and wish it were not so (for you).

~
    ~ "She" says ... ... I have ... TooManyGizmos ~

I can only imagine feeling your pain but I don't even like to do that. Sorry that your subjected to such terrible laws.

Just be patient. A recent ruling by the Supreme Court may repeal said legislation.

(check jellydonut's location)

He is exempt .
    ~ "She" says ... ... I have ... TooManyGizmos ~

if Northern Europe pertains to UK, than he cannot legally carry a stick of any sort either

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyGizmos View Post
    (check jellydonut's location)

He is exempt .
    Doh!!! Sorry about that Jellydonut... and as for you TooManyGizmos, I'm gonna have to watch myself around you!!!

I'm glad I live in the good old US of A... if you've never felt the kick of a 1.5oz slug or a win .270 you're missing out! Not to mention, it's a lot of fun to hit a rock with a decent sized round and see it go

I have been a avid gun collector, shooter, and home gun smith for years. Early on I purchased a few of the smaller Surefire lights. I have just come on the whole new (to me) world of LED lights and this forum.

The people here seem to be very much the same as on the good gun forums. They ave a passion about their interest and are very helpful to new comers.

Grinser2 Re: Firearms and Flashoholics

Been trying to get meself something that shoots...but I've been sorely disappointed with .223s when I saw them in real-life. I'd half expected it to be like the .308s, plus theres nothing really I can shoot here. We have hogs, but I don't know of any hunting permitted grounds near here. Plus I love my squirrels and cottentails...so it only comes down to plinking for me

I barely use most of my lights as it is
    Last edited by Illum; 09-23-2010 at 05:14 PM.

I was born and raised in Los Angeles. My father hunted as a kid. slingshots, bow and arrow, rifles and shotguns. He took me to hunt gameland birds like Dove and Pheasant. But I dont like cleaning the animals.

Im more attracted to tacticool weapons. And since California is so strict the closest thing was Airsoft.

Then i moved to Pittsburgh, PA. I eventually got a Colt M4 in .22LR. For plinking. Got a pistol Sig Mosquito. Then a MP5 aka GSG-5 in .22LR.

Then i sold my surefire L6 Porcupine for a pretty penny and got myself a very fancy weapon with built in light mount. The Kriss Super V in .45acp. Got rid of the "toy" guns and got myself a glock 21 since the Kriss and Glock 21 use the same mags.

However now that my Fiancee and I are moving to NY state, its back to retarded restrictions. I can keep the Kriss but have to let go of the Glock.

But yes, lights are generally cheaper than guns. However I am looking more closely at the Hipoint 45cal carbine. about $330. im curious to see how it shoots.

When I do I will be one of the few to shoot both extremes. .45acp Kriss is the far end of the spectrum of .45cal pistol caliber carbines with all the bells and whistles. Then the Hipoint will be the bottom of the barrel budget PCC.
    Collecting is not about what you have but rather what you DONT have . . . yet.
    ABTOMAT: "Newer Surefire lights strike me as the result of CNC programmers saying to each other "Hold my beer and watch THIS."

Quote Originally Posted by Solscud007 View Post
    I can keep the Kriss but have to let go of the Glock.
    Let's hope you don't lose the glock in a boating accident. That would be awful.

Quote Originally Posted by wyager View Post
    Let's hope you don't lose the glock in a boating accident. That would be awful.

boating accident?
    Collecting is not about what you have but rather what you DONT have . . . yet.
    ABTOMAT: "Newer Surefire lights strike me as the result of CNC programmers saying to each other "Hold my beer and watch THIS."

Quote Originally Posted by Solscud007 View Post
    boating accident?
    Yes. A "boating accident".

In America, when you serve your country as I did, they teach you how to shoot very special weapons and learn to enjoy it. You become friends with it and understand that itís a part of you and can protect you like your right arm. My best friend was an M16 with a M203 attached. I had the pleasure to shoot a Barrett bmg .50 (M82) more than once and can let you know that you need a bourbon and coke, a cigarette and 8 hours of sleep after shooting it. I even owned an M16 (semi, burst and auto) decades ago and taught my son to shoot it before I lost it in an unfortunate boating accident. I just donít understand why my country, that I adore, can teach you this love for firearms and expect you to be ok letting it go. I love flashlights too but firearms will always be my first love.
    A light shines through us upon things, and makes us aware that we are nothing, but the light is everything. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson You can't have a light without a dark to stick it in. ~Arlo Guthrie

Quote Originally Posted by LiveForNight View Post
    In America, when you serve your country as I did, they teach you how to shoot very special weapons and learn to enjoy it. You become friends with it and understand that itís a part of you and can protect you like your right arm. My best friend was an M16 with a M203 attached. I had the pleasure to shoot a Barrett bmg .50 (M82) more than once and can let you know that you need a bourbon and coke, a cigarette and 8 hours of sleep after shooting it. I even owned an M16 (semi, burst and auto) decades ago and taught my son to shoot it before I lost it in an unfortunate boating accident. I just donít understand why my country, that I adore, can teach you this love for firearms and expect you to be ok letting it go. I love flashlights too but firearms will always be my first love.
    I agree. A gun is like a tool, and I imagine if you dropped thousands of dollars on a hammer it would feel as nice in your hand and as much an extension of yourself as a gun can. And man, these boating accidents are striking all over the place nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigman View Post
    Me- Lifetime NRA Member
    Son #1- Lifetime NRA Member
    Son #2- Lifetime NRA Member

..."You betcha'!!!"
    Wanna adopt me?

Guns and lights seem to reproduce when stored inside the safe...

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    Guns and lights seem to reproduce when stored inside the safe...
    I too notice this effect. Unfortunately, they appear to eat money in order to reproduce.

I would have voted, except there is no "I love both but no way am I going to indicate how many" option.

In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by wyager View Post
    I'm glad I live in the good old US of A... if you've never felt the kick of a 1.5oz slug or a win .270 you're missing out! Not to mention, it's a lot of fun to hit a rock with a decent sized round and see it go
    My favorite is a plastic 1-gallon milk jug full of water, struck by a deer slug or rifle round. I've never played with tannerite or 55 gallon drums of diesel though.
    "What that thing needs, is more power." - Tim Allen

Hey fellow KY member don't see many from Ky on the fourm. I'm from Harlan County Ky. I love my Flashlights and my Guns also.

Quote Originally Posted by Youfoundnemo View Post
    How many flashoholics here are also enjoy firearms? I know that the Knob creek (KY) gun shoot is coming up and Ill be there gawking at guns I could never afford

PS should we start a get together and show some CPF presence?
    Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalm 119:105

Unenlightened

I'm oldschool. I have a musket and and an oil lamp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12