Awkard moments or negative responses while using your EDC!

SupremeEye

Newly Enlightened
I remember last year or in 07 when I was working at my old Sears job, I shined my L2T on my coworker as she was walking to her car in the parking lot.

Her response

"What kind of loser carries a flashlight in his pocket?"

Then take into account knives, multitools etc.

Comment about my knife that occured in Feb 08.

Sometime in February at my job I was putting something into this guys Hummer and it wouldn't fit with the box, So I pull out my Byrd Cara Cara tactical Black SS model.

The guy who is the father of a girl who works at my job says "WOW YOU CAN HURT SOMEBODY WITH THAT, THATS LIKE A DEER SKINNING KNIFE"

I thought to myself "I can hurt somebody with many things dumba$$"

What say you?

My wife has called me a "flashlight and knife nerd."

This was even before I started collecting the nice lights you all had. I had about 10 flashlights and 10 pocket knives. She could never understand why i was looking at another. It's okay though because she's into Star Trek so I just reply with, "Ha, at least I'm not a Trekkie."

I have a friend at work who actually carries about 10 lights with him at any given time. Around his waist, inside his pockets, etc. Now that guy, he gets made fun of all the time by some of the other gents at work. Nothing too bad. They just call him the crazy flashlight dude.

Me personally, I wouldn't carry 10 lights, but I carry 1 on me, 1 on keychain, 3 in my truck and about 12 more at home. Am I any crazier than the guy who has 10 lights on him? I don't think so.

The way I look at it, everyone has a hobby, collection or obsession. I also collect rare coins so it's a double whammy for me. I think I got more awkward responses about my coin collections than my flashlights, ha ha.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
hmm i work at sears and have whipped out a strider and tons of different spydercos and no one has ever said anything except maybe nice knife, and i used my mcgizmos and my aeon and no one says anything, i live in the south i guess that makes a difference. what dept did you work in?

SupremeEye

Newly Enlightened
hmm i work at sears and have whipped out a strider and tons of different spydercos and no one has ever said anything except maybe nice knife, and i used my mcgizmos and my aeon and no one says anything, i live in the south i guess that makes a difference. what dept did you work in?
Merchandise Pick up.

Me and my main guy both carried knives. Plus he carried a Leatherman TI and I carried a Victorinox Spirit.

We both carried L2D Q5's.

balou

Enlightened
Regarding EDC'ing knives, there's an interesting situation in Switzerland:

-Sackmesser/Swiss Army knife: "Oh cool, you carry a SAK!"

-Any other knives: "Why the hell do you need a knife??"

Guess what I'm carrying. Everybody thinks you're prepared if you carry a SAK, while people question your motives if you carry anything else. (Btw, I never carried anything else, but I do know that some of my brothers friends carry other knives)

Illum

Flashaholic
Flint on keys: "What are you? some kinda arsonist?:ohgeez:

Back when I was in my old work
using a SAK Tinker for parcels: "Oh cool thats handy, but I'd rather use keys"

wiping down the Kershaw blackout: "Who'd you stab this time?":shrug:

Pulling out a E2L in a kinda show and tell situation: "what? no laser pointer!?"

Galileo-5 greenie "you paid how much? you got ripped off! you can't even cut electrical tape with it, its worthless"
well gee, how much power do I need to point out stars and planets at night?:shrug:

Keychain L0D-CE "c'mon your telling me this things got 5 modes and it ain't got a laser pointer function?
Whats with people and lasers?!

My EDC [lights-wise, usually I don't carry them all when theres daylight...but if I'm going somewhere at night...then :grin2:]
Surefire A2-WH
Surefire L4 body + KX2 Single stage [E2L]
Surefire E1e body + KL4 + RCR123A [TW4]
Surefire M6 + 3x17670 + 1185 [M6-1185]
Muyshondt Aeon hardcoat black

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
There has been a similar post to this topic on EDCF for quite awhile. A lot of interesting tales (not all flashlight related over there of course) and a good reason to visit.

I posted this a long time ago on EDCF. I once had someone just about freak that I had carried "such a dangerous weapon" when what I had pulled out of my pocket a Victorinox Classic. (Yikes! A massive, edged "weapon" with a blade of what? An inch and a quarter? OK, OK, maybe a whole inch and a half.) I tried to explain that I had been carrying a pocket knife since I was about eight years old and still hadn't harmed anyone. She was just about frothing at the mouth that anyone would feel it necessary to carry any sort of knife. I wonder how she opens packages or peels an apple?

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find frequent uses having a knife and on more than one occasion, the flashlight. I've had comments about why I'm carrying a knife and it's obvious if I've pulled it out to cut something. ;) The usual boxes, nylon strapping, fruit... simply being prepared. :)

"Why do I carry a knife?" I'm also a knife maker so it is a sample of the tool I produce and it allows field testing over an extended time. A knife maker who carries a Benchmade or Spyderco...has been a long running joke. :thumbsdow :shakehead

SupremeEye

Newly Enlightened
At my old Sears job, I was in the breakroom and I pulled out my Cara Cara and one girl asked me "Have you ever stabbed anybody with that knife"?

Lol I was like "wow"

People assume if you have a knife, you automatically will stab or have stabbed somebody.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
"You mean there's a forum on flashlights?!"

:shakehead

andrew123

Newly Enlightened
Just today I pulled out my kershaw scallion and the girl asked who i had to get that from to smuggle it into canada. Such fools.:shakehead

colin715

Newly Enlightened
I was eating dinner with one of my friends along with two of her friends and I noticed the other guy had a knife. I asked him about it, and he showed it to me. It was a tiny little no-name with like a 2 inch blade. So I ended up showing him mine, which was a Benchmade Skirmish with a 4+ inch blade. I tried to be really discreet, just opening it up for a second and putting it right back, but there was an old couple sitting close by and the lady saw me. She got this really scared look on her face and started to tap her husband on the shoulder and whispering to her. They left like 5 minutes later...

Needless to say, I won't be doing that again.

Burntrubber87

Newly Enlightened
Back when I used to deliver pizza(Up to about 4AM so if I was working it was dark) I started out with a LED Rayovac sportsman 2aa, and had a 3D LED mag in the car to spot house numbers. Once I bought my G2 it was a different story, everyone would always think I was a cop, and run inside..the majority of deliver-ees were college students so they were doing usual friday-saturday night stuff..If I lit up a light on a busy street, almost everyone would stop what they were doing and watch me..it got kind of awkard.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the guy at work asked to borrow my knife, and I caught him using it as a screwdriver? My spazz-out was certainly awkward, and I've never got the tip quite sharp like it was before.

Then I switched to a Strider, and it's like a Swiss Army Crowbar. :D

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
When the guy at work asked to borrow my knife, and I caught him using it as a screwdriver? My spazz-out was certainly awkward, and I've never got the tip quite sharp like it was before.

Then I switched to a Strider, and it's like a Swiss Army Crowbar. :D

This happened to me once as well. My response was 'Congratulations, you just bought yourself a $60 knife.' He paid. Sometimes people need to learn to respect other people's property.