M3-M6 Interchangable?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I just pull this from Brock's site:

Now the interesting thing about these lights (M3 and M6) is since they are both 9v lights you can change the head from light to light. You can make a non-turbo head 125 lumen M6 that should run for about 2 hours, or a 500 lumen M3 that will last about 3 minutes. Actually the M3 with the M6 head with the 250 lumen lamp is about as bright as the 500 lumen lamp because it doesn't put such a drain on the batteries. The light configured this way has a tighter spot than it's own 225 lamp. However I should state that Surefire doesn't recommend swapping lamps between the lights. I beleive the new N line will be the lamps used in the M3 Turbo.

Has anyone actually tried this with any success? I like the idea of a 2-hour M6, even if it's not as bright.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, you cannot run the N2 in the M6 with all 6 batteries. Even though they are both 9v, the voltage drop is less with the M6 since they are in a series/parallel combination. Since the voltage drop is less than the N2 expects it gets too much current and is overdriven, causing it to burn out much quicker than normal. Brock set me straight on this.
smile.gif

Read more info here.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Just to make things very clear:

M6 Lamps:
MN20 250Lu/60min
MN21 500Lu/20min

M3 Lamps:
MN10 125Lu/60min
MN11 225Lu/20min

M3T Lamps:
MN15 125Lu/60min
MN16 225Lu/20min
N2 105Lu/60min (not supplied with the M3T)

There is only ONE bezel that will work on BOTH the M3 and M6 bodies - the KL2.
Please note that the KL2 is rather wasteful of the juice supplied by the M6.

If you want to upgrade your M3 to an M3T, you require the KT4 "Millennium TurboHead" Kit that contains both the MN15 & MN16 lamps required for the Millennium TurboHead when fitted to the M3 body.

The M3T, M4 & M6 all feature the Millennium TurboHead. It is interchangeable. The Lamps are NOT. Be sure to double check the lamps you install.

The M4 uses the MN60 or MN61 Lamp Assembly. The Classic N62 Lamp Assembly will also work but is subject to a "thermal shutdown" when used constant-on for more then about 3 minutes.

I hope this helps?

Al

Brock

Flashaholic
OH I need to change that. It will work but you will blow the lamps from the M3 by using them in the M6. You can change the physical parts, but not lamps.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I was told by PK that running the KL2 on the M6 will waste juice (most likely in terms of heat)
I don't know details but I believe that the M6's power is too much for the KL2 so the 'effort' to 'control' the power wastes energy.

The KL2 is intended for the M3.

The KL2 will not work on the M4.

Al