H7 bulb dilemma

rushnrockt

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to choose a low beam H7 light bulb for a Hyundai Elantra and having trouble choosing between these two finalists:

a. Osram Rallye 65W

b. Osram Night Breaker® +90 Ultra High Output 55w H7 Bulb.

Anyone has any suggestion? I am afraid that the Rallye's extra power might not be quite so useful with Hyundai's cheapo wiring. Thanks!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Get the Osram Rallye 65w bulbs. More light and longer life than the Night Breakers, and surprisingly enough, the Korean cars of the last 10 years or so have had comparatively beefy headlight wiring...better than is found in Fords, Subarus, Toyotas and Hondas, even!

Cheapest price I've seen on the 65w Osram H7 is here; anyone seen 'em for cheaper?

rushnrockt

Newly Enlightened
Get the Osram Rallye 65w bulbs. More light and longer life than the Night Breakers, and surprisingly enough, the Korean cars of the last 10 years or so have had comparatively beefy headlight wiring...better than is found in Fords, Subarus, Toyotas and Hondas, even!

Cheapest price I've seen on the 65w Osram H7 is here; anyone seen 'em for cheaper?

Thanks, I actually have not seen a lower price anywhere else or noticed too many different places that sell these at all. Ebay does not even seem to recognize their existence.

jmac74

Newly Enlightened
I recently put the Osram Rallye H7 bulbs in my wifes 2002 Kia Optima... All I can say is WOW!!!! An awesome bulb to say the least!!!

Most of what you'll find on Ebay is junk!

QualityAir

Newly Enlightened

Is their expected life span shorter than the standard H7 ?

rushnrockt

Newly Enlightened
So an interesting fact to consider is that the packaging says "Off-Road only" and "Not approved for public roads" as well as "Not for use in Europe/USA"

Which means that it can't be used as a low beam for sure. I am a little peeved that the website (candlepower.com) did not mention it, as all the other lights that are not meant for regular use are clearly defined as such. Granted, looking at the 2100 lumen number, I should have thought through the fact that its quite a bit more than standard H7 bulbs. So, back to square one.

Oh, and I can't find the lightbulb on Osram's website?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
So an interesting fact to consider is that the packaging says "Off-Road only" and "Not approved for public roads" as well as "Not for use in Europe/USA"
Which means that it can't be used as a low beam for sure.

You're assuming that a bulb maker's statement has the force of law (it doesn't), you're assuming the actual requirements of every individual state's regulations can be accurately summarized in six words on a bulb box (they can't), and -- even stranger -- you're assuming that the phrase "Not for use in Europe/USA" means "not for use in low beams"; the one doesn't follow from the other. Plenty of people have used the 65w Osram H7 in well-engineered low beams with good and safe results.

I am a little peeved that the website (candlepower.com) did not mention it, as all the other lights that are not meant for regular use are clearly defined as such.

H'mm. How do you figure? Go look at the description for this bulb on their site; it's full of the same language they use for their other higher-than-stock-wattage bulbs. Rallye, race, special-service, etc.

Anyhow, I'm not sure how any of this puts you "back at square one". You've got a bunch of people on here saying "Use them, they work safely and effectively", and you've got six butt-covering disclaimer words on a bulb box. I guess you have to decide which body of advice holds more weight.

Oh, and I can't find the lightbulb on Osram's website?

And...?

rushnrockt

Newly Enlightened
You're assuming that a bulb maker's statement has the force of law (it doesn't), you're assuming the actual requirements of every individual state's regulations can be accurately summarized in six words on a bulb box (they can't), and -- even stranger -- you're assuming that the phrase "Not for use in Europe/USA" means "not for use in low beams"; the one doesn't follow from the other. Plenty of people have used the 65w Osram H7 in well-engineered low beams with good and safe results.

You are correct, I just didn't take the phrase far enough, I should just assume that the meaning is that it is not for "use in low beams, high beams or anything else for that matter in Europe/USA." I'll test the lights out in one of the cars, but being in an area where police get angry about Silverstars, it would be useful to know that the manufacturer decided to put this type of wording on their packaging. Even if it is only because they never bothered to get one certificate or another to get the proper stamps of approval. Informed buyer = happy buyer.

H'mm. How do you figure? Go look at the description for this bulb on their site; it's full of the same language they use for their other higher-than-stock-wattage bulbs. Rallye, race, special-service, etc.

Ok, since you want examples, here is a text of another overwattage bulb

"[FONT=arial, helvetica]This overwattage bulb is for racing, off-road, and special-service usage. It is not compatible with stock wiring; relays and heavy-gauge wiring are necessary."[/FONT]

As a customer, it's a bit hard to know how the site decides one or other relative to what the manufacturer says.

Anyhow, I'm not sure how any of this puts you "back at square one". You've got a bunch of people on here saying "Use them, they work safely and effectively", and you've got six butt-covering disclaimer words on a bulb box. I guess you have to decide which body of advice holds more weight.

Putting multiple personality disorders aside, the statistical "bunch" is quite small, however believable. A lot of people here swear by their HID conversions and I don't take their word for it either. And butt-covering words sometimes are there because there is a reason to cover said butt, that's how most of the warnings are made out there. I do expect informative websites to show things like that. This is a case of the jitters, if you will, due to ambiguity of why the bulbs have such markings and CandlePower omitting that information. Again, informed buyer = happy buyer.

And it would've been cool to compare the bulb's specs to all the other ones they have since it's quite a performer? What in the loving world did you want?

Thanks for the help anyways, I'll go on with this experiment.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I'll test the lights out in one of the cars, but being in an area where police get angry about Silverstars

Blue American ones or colorless European ones? I can't imagine any cop being able to tell you have 65w H7s instead of 55w H7s, since the light color and appearance is about the same. That is, unless your lights are not correctly aimed or are improperly used (high beams in traffic, etc.), in which case the cops ought to get angry with you no matter what bulbs you have.

Ok, since you want examples, here is a text of another overwattage bulb

"[FONT=arial, helvetica]This overwattage bulb is for racing, off-road, and special-service usage. It is not compatible with stock wiring; relays and heavy-gauge wiring are necessary."[/FONT]

The only real difference I see between that quote and the 65w H7 descriptive text is the presence/absence of the warning about wiring and relays. Everything else is about the same. I interpret that to mean that the 65w H7 is compatible with most stock wiring, which matches my own experience with it (and that of others who have used it, so it seems).

Putting multiple personality disorders aside, the statistical "bunch" is quite small, however believable. A lot of people here swear by their HID conversions and I don't take their word for it either.

That's a good point, but you gotta consider the sources individually. Compare the clueless noobs who babble about how great their "HID kits" are, to the more knowledgeable and realistic evaluations provided by those who have used the 65w bulbs.

And it would've been cool to compare the bulb's specs to all the other ones they have since it's quite a performer? What in the loving world did you want?

Oh, okay, it just looked like you were somehow doubting that the bulbs exist (or are really made by Osram) or something.

rushnrockt

Newly Enlightened
For a quick update:

On 2004 Hyundai Sonata with stock lights, the difference is just about literally day and night. No more wondering if the lights are actually on.

On 2005 Hyundai Elantra with stock lights, the difference cannot be perceived by naked eye. A bit of a disappointment, but apparently the original GE light bulbs are well chosen.

FireFighter

Newly Enlightened
A couple months since the last reply, but hope I can help.
After having the Ring Xenon Plus in for a few months & replaced them with the Osram Night Breakers, AND WOW, what a difference!! Esp when there are no street lights & with the thin blue bands it gives off a whiter light (less strain on the eye).
Osram do state that they dont last as long, but i have had them in +- 9 months now, and still going strong.

ecotack

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering, is there much noticeable difference between the Rallye 65W and the Night Breakers? Is there anywhere in the UK that sells the Rallye as a quick google shown nothing?

raj55

Newly Enlightened

AlexLED

Enlightened
I am very satisfied with the Philips Extreme Power "Racing Performance" Five-Star.

They have 55w and are fully approved.

But I suppose the Osram are pretty good as well.
Somewhere in this forum there should be a link to a test of automotive bulbs ... maybe I'll be able to dig that out.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
A friend of mine sells bulbs for motorcycles and has the 55w Osram Silverstars at a decent price, if anybody's interested.
I had these in my bike and they were very good.
Link to Electrical Connection site

100_1843.jpg

poormanq45

Newly Enlightened
The Elantra has a properly designed reflector for the low beams.

The light output and shape is beautiful. I personally just use Sylvania Xtravisions as they are widely available and are a +30 design with clear glass.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
is there much noticeable difference between the Rallye 65W and the Night Breakers?

Yes, huge. The 65w H7s produce 2100 lumens @ 13.2v. Any 55w H7 is limited to no more than 1650 lumens (@ 13.2 volts).

rushnrockt

Newly Enlightened
I went with the Osram Rallye and actually have trouble seeing difference between the stock bulb and Rallye in Elantra, but it was good to begin with. In Sonata, the difference is amazing and is well worth the money.