E2E/E2O Bezel Modification

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the B/S/T Forum. If it belongs over there, I'm sure our esteemed Moderators will move the thread.

I've been given the OK from Don McLeish (McGizmo) to talk more about the modified E2E bezel which he devised. Over the last couple of weeks, I've had many inquiries to either talk specifically about the modificaton or a request to perform the modification.

For those interested, I'd be willing to perform the modification, by either providing a turn-key, ready to use, modification or by getting the bezel and lamp assembly from you, modifying it and returning it to you. Briefly, this modification is accomplished by seperating the bezels cap from the bezel itself, replacing the pyrex lens with a thinner mineral glass lens and securing it with some o-rings and Loctite. The P61 or P91 then has to be removed from its reflector and the spring cut to size. The lamp assembly is then fitted with a washer and put into the modified bezel. The modification adds about 1/8" to the length of the bezel. With the P61, thermal shutdown occurs between the 8-12 minute mark. Powering off the light for a few minutes allows it to start up again fine. I have not tested the mofified bezel for water resistance and have no plans on doing so.

This modification allows you to run a P61 in your E2E with the 2-cells or a P61/P91 on the UBH with 2 or 3 cells respectively. Although I haven't worked out pricing, there will be 2-options available. One pricing option would be a turn-key solution, meaning I send you the modified bezel and LA of your choosing (P61 or P91). The second option would be you send me the bezel and LA, I do the modification and send it back to you.

Before I go much further with this, I'd be interested in getting a feel of how many would be interested in this and whether or not you'd opt for the "turn-key" solution or the "you send the stuff to me" option. I have enough parts on-hand to perform a few of these mods, but anything more than that would require me to order some things. That's why I'd like to gauge the amount of interest in this.

Catdaddy

Enlightened
I want one of each in HA and would prefer the turn-key. It is too much hassle (to me) to send the lamp and then have it done and sent back. Let me know about pricing as soon as you are ready.

This sound great!
Thanks,
John

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Just to keep things "even," I have a no longer used E2 head with the lens ring already broken loose. P61, hmmmmm, might just buy my first mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Larry

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in a P61 turnkey modification. But I'm a little hesitant to commit myself because I have no idea what the cost might be.

Can you give us a ballpark estimate for the cost of the turnkey mod and for the cost if I send you my bezel?

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be glad to send you a E1e bezel and have you put a p61 in it. I would like to try it on my 4AA 'e' barrel. I suspect all the extra mass of the barrel will help the thermal shutdown problem.

I would probably also be interested in a E1e bezel with a p90 to use on my UBHII.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Larry and Ray,

I don't think you will have the room you need for the longer P envelope and I doubt the Lexan lens would last very long??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like a "ball-park" price, too. I am interested. Is thermal shut-down bad for the LA? Thanks,

Jody

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very interested, most interested in a P91 turnkey solution. Cost would be the decisive factor.

BTW, I don't have the UBH, but I have pre-ordered Dspeck's 123A extender, which I'm assuming works just as well (right?).

Joe

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
jdriller, I'm no expert, so I can't answer your question. I can tell you I've run things things to thermal shutdown many times on the same lamp and no issues. I think it's because of the batteries actually doing the thermal shutdown thats saving the LA from harm.

Joe, Assuming the cell-extender works as advertised, it should work.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Re: E2E/E2O Bezel Modification-Pricing Info Added

I've been able to come up with some pricing information for the turn-key offering. This price includes a modified E2E-HA bezel, the modified lamp (P61 or P91) and instructions (via E-Mail, upon your request) on how to do your own modification on the lamp, and USPS 1st Class Mail shipping.

The full turn-key modification with bezel and either lamp is $75.00

A modified lamp-assembly only is $35.00 for the P61 or $38.00 for the P91. This price includes shipping also.

I currently have parts on-order, but do have enough hardware in-hand to build 2 or 3 full P61 MODS. I am currently out of P91 lamps.

I will accept PayPal (always preferred) or Money Order only. Please PM or E-Mail me if interested. The 2 or 3 which I have will go on a first-come-first-served basis. I expect to have the remaining parts by the middle of next week.

Disclaimer: The concept of this MOD is not mine, it belongs to Don McLeish (McGizmo). I am replicating what I've learned from the MODS he did for me, using the same techniques. I have permission from Don to offer this service, for a nominal profit (includes parts, labor, shipping). My testing has shown thermal shutdown will occur using the P61-MOD on an E2E/E2O body in 7-9 minutes. Letting it rest for 1-3 minutes allowed the light to fire back up with no noticable problems. The mineral glass lens survived the heat fine during my testing. At the 6-7 minute mark, the light is hot, very hot. I have not tested the bezel's water-resistance capabilities and have no plans to do so.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

T.I. Nascar,

I think it's a cool mod and your offer and pricing are very fair and reasonable as we have learned to expect from you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good luck to you and welcome to the world of mod for hire! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Ray,

Not so fast! The reflectors may be useless to you but they work very nice with a 1W SE for a module in a classic sized bezel or custom head. You should be able to sell them for a reasonable price. We must recycle here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Heck I can use everything in a burnt out P LA but the lamp itself. The contact springs are needed for many mods.

- Don

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Re: E2E/E2O Bezel Modification-UBH Update

Please Read: I have discovered an issue which is causing the MOD to not reliably function in the UBH. It's some characteristic of the UBH, since I've tested these in numerous E2E/E2O/E2 bodies. I am guessing it has something to do with the interior of the UBH tube being coated with the HA-III. If you picture the composition of the P61/P91 LA, the exterior spring needs to provide flow to the tube. By nature of the MOD design, this exterior trimmed-down spring actually seats in the interior of the tube. This is fine on the SureFire lights, since it's not coated, however it appears (this is a guess) the HA is keeping the current from flowing or ground not being provided. I don't know crap about electronics, so I relying on the little I do know. I'm not aware of any method of scaping off some of the HA from the inner-tube to fully prove this theory. I'm open for suggestions.

All this being said, put these MODS on the UBH at your own risk. This holds true for both the P61 and P91 MOD. They will sporatically work if the bezel is not screwed down all the way. At this point, I'm recommending you only order the P61 MOD to be placed on the SureFire E2/E2E/E2O only.

I will cross-post this same information in the B/S/T forum as well.

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: E2E/E2O Bezel Modification-UBH Update

Ray, I had a bunch of questions about this mod and thought I'd posted them, but don't see them. Either they were on a different thread that I can't find, or the post failed (probably my fault). Did you see them? Should I post again?