Thread: What's the nicest headlamp, LED only, and has red led's as well

Default What's the nicest headlamp, LED only, and has red led's as well

I'd like a headlamp that is LED only (no incandescent) that also features red LED/lighting for night vision. I assume there aren't many choices but if they need to be narrowed down: multiple brightness modes, at least 72h on the lowest setting, regulated (if possible), max 3xAA (preferbly supporting NiMH and Lithiums), wide beam preferred over spot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I currently have the PT EOS (Rebel) 50 lumen ordered. It obviously does not have a red LED.

Note: I guess it does not need to be red LED's per se. A filter is fine too except that's another small piece I have to worry about losing. If it was just built in, that'd be easier.
    Last edited by sygyzy; 03-23-2009 at 03:22 AM.
    Peace!
    Sygyzy
    www.sygyzy.com | Hall of Fame: js, MrBulk, Litho123, Dark Zero, Lips, Milkyspit, StarHalo

Default Re: What's the nicest headlamp, LED only, and has red led's as well

You can try Tikka XP or XP 2, both have diffuser installed and you can change the color for red one.

As far as I know Tikka XP doesn't support lithiums, I don't know about the "2" version.

You can also try eGear Focus Control Headlamp. It doesn't run for 72 hours at the low setting but it's pretty much a match of what you are looking for. I am not sure of the quality of this product though.

http://www.batterystation.com/egear_focus.htm

If you want red only, perhaps taking your EOS and spraying the inside of the lens with red dykem (best) or use a red marks-a-lot.

White + Red headlamps are quite common actually. Remington headlamp at Lowes (made by Rayovac), Energizer Hard Case Pro 100lm Cree both come to mind.

Thanks guys. I'd like to stick to a well known headlamp brand. So maybe the Tikka. Thanks again for your input!
    Peace!
    Sygyzy
    www.sygyzy.com | Hall of Fame: js, MrBulk, Litho123, Dark Zero, Lips, Milkyspit, StarHalo

Keep in mind that filtering white LED's to red is horribly inefficient. You are blocking the majority of your output.

Marduke - Understood. I'd defintely would prefer having a real red LED.
    Peace!
    Sygyzy

Quote Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
    Marduke - Understood. I'd defintely would prefer having a real red LED.
    Well, there are literally dozens of name brand headlamps which meet those requirements.