Madmax Plus Emitter Replacement?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been waiting for someone more knowledgeable than myself to answer this post.
I think red LEDs have a lower forward voltage than that of whites. However, the MadMax is voltage adjustable. So, it seems that it would work, but I don't know how low you can adjust it. Dat2zip, will be able to answer this one with certainty.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
I think the answer is NO. Both BB and MM are boost-type regulators, not boost/buck. So you have to have Vin <= (Vf+0.3V) for the circuit to work. However you do have the option to use a single battery with MM and put in a dummy cell or cut off a section of the battery tube and re-do the threading.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
You cannot run Madmax or Badboy for that matter on 2AA ~3V input and a red or Amber 1W LS ~2.7V. This is not a boost configuration and will put it in Direct Drive. How much Direct drive is now dependant on the Vf of the particular LED and the battery voltage.

You can build one with the Wizard board, but, the Wizard board doesn't have the hole locations that accept the connectors to mate with the emitter board to make a sandwich. You would have to use wires for the interconnect and figure out a way to keep the two boards parallel and 0.3" thick from top to bottom.

The Wizard board will accept input voltages above or below the output Vf voltaage (buck/boost).

Wayne

robk

Enlightened
Wayne,
The data sheet for LS's show a max voltage for Red as 3.27V to 3.39V. I put one on a BB400, I didn't measure the current, but it doesn't seem to run hot, and it hasn't burned up yet. I always use NiMH (1.2V) so maybe that's what prevented a meltdown?
Rob

Latest posts