Elastic straps

ahorton

Enlightened
I have owned many headlamps over the years and they all have similar elastic straps. You know the sort, soft to the touch with a company name woven or printed on the side.

Are they polyester, nylon, cotton or something else entirely? I was looking at buying some from places like www.allwebbing.com and was suddenly confronted with how little I knew about these materials.

fishx65

Enlightened
Not sure what they are made of but I was just thinking that a good crafts or fabric store might carry something similar that would work. I guess, in a pinch, you could use the elastic from a pair of underwear!!!!:laughing:

ahorton

Enlightened
As it turns out, I have used strong and wide elastic from craft and fabric stores, but it just isn't as nice as the stuff that Petzl or BD uses.

When I was making them just for myself I put up with the plain, black 'underwear' elastic, but I'm making a pile of torches for friends now. I want to make every part of it as professional as I can.

gillestugan

Enlightened
I have also been looking for nice elastic straps without any luck. I thought I had found one at kaidomain. Ordered one and it was very good, but when I ordered more I got straps completely different straps with lower quality.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If you don't mind straps that may say something like nightblaster on them I have a box of headlamp parts I was given to repair a bunch of headlamps and have all sorts of straps left from the clip on headlamps and 4aa incans and such. I would ship them for whatever it costs me to do so just so I don't have to decide to throw some of them away later to make space. PM me if you are interested and I will check and see what I have.