ArmyTek
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet Osram 50035 Ministar Axial-Reflektor

Default Meet Osram 50035 Ministar Axial-Reflektor

35w Ministar 12V.
    It's bigger than the opening in my reflector. 16mm with an axial reflector. Very white and intense on 12 eneloop in a fm cell holder. Very nice hotspot, ~20 000 lux at 1 m whatever that tells you...

In the catalog under Tungsten halogen lamps/ministar

http://catalogx.myosram.com

PDF:
    http://www.osram.com/_global/pdf/Pro...B_MINISTAR.pdf

A really nice bulb, sadly I can only find the 35w here. I'd like to try the 50w. Expensive little b*ggers, ~$11.

Default Re: Meet Osram 50035 Ministar Axial-Reflektor

Do you have any beamshots of this bulb in action?

Flashaholic

Hi,StefanFS here is a link they sell the 50watt type http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/products/La...alogen/Capsule
    and your right not cheap are they
    thanks DocD
    MAG P7,GLOW-RINGS

i wonder if it will ever run on my 3 x imr cells setup on a KT head?

draw is 3 amp ++ i assume ,,,,

any more details?

cheers

How does it compare to the IRC bulb in terms of focus, whiteness, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Bob View Post
    How does it compare to the IRC bulb in terms of focus, whiteness, etc?
    The 35w Ministar has better focus in my smooth reflector and it's a bit whiter than my 35w IRC bulbs.

As soon as the bloody snow is gone I'll get some beamshots...

They sell for $6.09 here, but minimum quantity is a case. (www.alldaylighting.com) I had not heard of this outfit before. Delivered case price is $85.50 ($11.70 Priority Mail Shipping), checkout with PayPal (I.E. works better). I used my credit card for protection.

It is yet another interesting ican strategy that is unique, and different than Osram's IRC technology. With the metalic coating in the base acting as a reflector, there should be much better output, and reflector may not even matter all that much. Unfortunately, my destructive testing may not be as useful, given the unique construction.

I ordered a case of 50W (#50050), but I can see one limiting problem you have to be careful with, namely they have a diameter of 16mm (0.62") bore required. Since the base is narrower, perhaps you could carefully insert them from inside the reflector, keeping the wider top from going through bore. I'll update the bottom diameter if Stefan has not already done this.

Thanks for the heads up on this bulb, Stefan!

Lux,

unless you drill the reflector to slightly more than 16mm the only way is to insert it carefully with the reflector in place, aka down throgh the reflector.

I found the 50w variety locally but I like the 35w more since it has a longer runtime. I'll try to do some draw etc. measurements.

The reflector do matter, but the internal reflector so close to the filament puts more of the light forward. I feel that the big reflector manage to concentrate the light better and produce more throw with this bulb.

Good prices there, but a whole case will last forever.

I'm curious to see how this bulb performs outdoors. Especially against it's 50watt big brother. Out of curiosity, how many volts are you sending to the bulb? And at what current? (I see they are rated for 12volts.)
    Cheers from the McGizmo state.

Quote Originally Posted by maxspeeds View Post
    I'm curious to see how this bulb performs outdoors. Especially against it's 50watt big brother. Out of curiosity, how many volts are you sending to the bulb? And at what current? (I see they are rated for 12volts.)
    Battery draw on the 35w is 3.10A running on a 12AA eneloop pack that measures 15.5V at the moment. No ill effects from running on ~15V so far in my testing.
    I don't think there's going to be much difference to the eye between the 35w and the 50w. To my eyes the 35w ministar just murder my 50w IRC bulbs.

Some crude beamshots on a ceiling 2 metres away. The beams really don't look this bad in real life. And remember that I always use smooth reflectors with my OSRAM bulbs. LOP or whatever structured you like will make the beams nicer.

The Ministar is tighter with a hotter hotspot.

Stefan, thanks for the beamshots! Can I run this bulb wtih 4 IMR cells? Approx 16.8V hot off the charger

Quote Originally Posted by maxspeeds View Post
    Stefan, thanks for the beamshots! Can I run this bulb wtih 4 IMR cells? Approx 16.8V hot off the charger
    I've tried the 35w on 4 x LiION D and it survived. I charge my cells on an RC charger setup so it's 4 x 4.20V, that was no problem at all..

My 12AA eneloop packs are somewhat over 17V hot off the charger. No problems with the 35w.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanFS View Post
    I've tried the 35w on 4 x LiION D and it survived. I charge my cells on an RC charger setup so it's 4 x 4.20V, that was no problem at all..

My 12AA eneloop packs are somewhat over 17V hot off the charger. No problems with the 35w.
    Sweet! Now I need to acquire a few of these to have some fun This is such an awesome looking incan. I'm surprised it took this long for the development of a bulb with a built in reflector to the envelope.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanFS View Post
    Some crude beamshots on a ceiling 2 metres away. The beams really don't look this bad in real life. And remember that I always use smooth reflectors with my OSRAM bulbs. LOP or whatever structured you like will make the beams nicer.

The Ministar is tighter with a hotter hotspot.
    Any chance of a beamshot at the same parameters, but with a naked bulb (no reflector)?

I'm wondering how these would work, with the ~30 degree beam from the bulb refocused to a tighter beam through a lens, instead of the dual-reflector setup. Particularly considering the axial filament (although the filament itself wouldn't even be in focus), I think you might get a nice beam that way.

Good beamshots. But to me it looks like the 50W IRC has a 'hotter' hotspot. But, I realize that what I see on my PC monitor will be different that what you seeing 'live.' Still looks like a good bulb to play around with!

OK, this seller I linked above is a good deal....got my dozen bulbs today. These are quite an impressive engineering feat with the beautiful chrome colored metal at base of bulb and onto upper stem. It just looks of very high quality.

The stem part is 0.457" (11.62mm), so my idea of using a smaller 0.5" bore reflector and CAREFULLY (as in use a white cotton glove) inserting bulb through the reflector is a possibility.

are all of you guys using stock profile SMO reflectors? im planning on on using these or the IRC bulbs in a 16-18 cell 6D mag with AW soft start

Quote Originally Posted by kris23 View Post
    are all of you guys using stock profile SMO reflectors? im planning on on using these or the IRC bulbs in a 16-18 cell 6D mag with AW soft start
    Generally, the larger >50W bulbs do better with a light OP or Stipple surface because these are essentially projector bulbs normally focussed with a lens. Every bulb is different. I'll be trying this bulb without reflector, and with several size and surface reflectors after the holiday.

Flashaholic*

Here you can buy them, one piece, in 20W, 35W and (this link) 50W:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Osram-Ministar-Ha...1%7C240%3A1318

For only EUR 4,94!

Have fun

Timmo.

Looking forward to more comments/observations on this bulb.

Actually was fairly easy to insert bulb from inside the reflector. Just wear a soft cotton glove, and I gently let bulb slide down inside of tilted reflector, and lined up bipins with socket, then held gentle pressure on bulb as I uprighted light. Then even inserting it in Modamag's 4" Colossus reflector (0.5" bore) was easy with gentle, straight down pressure. To remove cooled bulb, I got a short length of kite string, tied a single knot making a noose, draped it down over head of bulb, cinched up the loop, then bulb came out with slow, steady pulling on string.

Stefan is right that the bulb then does benefit from focussing. I just tried it with 4s Emoli 18650 cells, using AW's multi-level driver to see that this is a spectacular bulb able to go into a very nice hotspot. I didn't want to push the voltage until I test this 50W in my Destructive bulbs setup to see where it flashes, and what kind of lumens/amps readings I get. I don't have any 35W to test.

Once I know how high it can be cranked up, then I can take some "proper" beam/outdoor shots. There is no question that the 4 x Emoli IMR's were just frolicking with its' filament.
    Last edited by LuxLuthor; 04-14-2009 at 08:35 PM.

Hey LuxLuthor, I for one cannot wait and am looking forward to see your destructive results on the 50 watt version. I hope it can handle a voltage range similiar to the IRC bulbs.

Does anyone know the bulb lumens for the 35W and 50W bulbs? I noticed on the pdf file from Osram that they are rated at 1,000 cd and 1,400 cd respectively.

Well that is a very good question, and underscores an arguement I have long had when people talk about bulb lumens, especially when the directional effects of a reflector are used.

In reality, there are very strict definitions of lumens and candela, that are rarely understood. Candela underscores the measurement output in a directional cone (called a steradian) which applies more accurately with this type of bulb with a built in reflector coating.

Luckily, we can do an approximate conversion by looking at Osram's site for the 50W Ministar bulb here, which I just finished testing. I will be posting it in my destructive bulb thread shortly.

We see that this bulb puts out 1400 candela with radiation angle of 30° (also has life of 2,000hrs and color temp of 3,000 K). Going back to the WIKI page, there is a conversion table at the bottom if you know the beam angle, which in this case 30° uses 4.67.

So we divide 1400 candela by 4.67 to get approximately 300 lumens.

LuxLuthor: Thanks! I just saw your post in your bulb testing thread and responded there.

This is great work on your part. Moreover, your notes about the candela vs. lumens is helpful to us all. Thanks for doing this.

Regards,

Steve

It looks like the "Sweet Spot" is to drive this bulb and the IRC version at 19-20V. With such low amp's, even AWR's old regulated "Hotdriver" could be used, while we wait for AlanB's project.

So some beamshots using Emoli/A123 cells set at same regulated voltage in same mag setup/reflector should show differences. I think the Ministar will have a better hotspot, but has virtually the same gorgeous color as the IRC.

Flashaholic

I found the 35W bulb locally, I'm going to try it with 15 eneloops... And maybe try to squeeze it in my Throwmaster head.

Flashaholic*

I just came across this bulb while I was in Lux testing thread. I wonder how it would do on 5 or 6 D Li-Ions and my D1 regulator. Runtime would be spectacular.

It is a worthy contender. Only limitation is needing to insert it carefully through a reflector with a 0.5" bore. (See my earlier post, also the tip about using a soft string noose for removal).

I will be setting one of these ministar bulbs up with regulation. So many bulbs can be used now that we have regulation again! I have to get used to this new resource. This larger Ministar bulb is one you want to adjust POT voltage with JimmyM's PhD without head/reflector until you are happy with its output. I'll be starting at 6s2p x 18650 in an elephant.
    Last edited by LuxLuthor; 06-04-2009 at 12:50 AM.