Meet Osram 50035 Ministar Axial-Reflektor

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
35w Ministar 12V.
It's bigger than the opening in my reflector. 16mm with an axial reflector. Very white and intense on 12 eneloop in a fm cell holder. Very nice hotspot, ~20 000 lux at 1 m whatever that tells you...

50035WFL1.jpg

50035WFL2.jpg

50035WFL4.jpg

In the catalog under Tungsten halogen lamps/ministar

http://catalogx.myosram.com

PDF:
http://www.osram.com/_global/pdf/Professional/General_Lighting/Halogen_lamps/101W004GB_MINISTAR.pdf

A really nice bulb, sadly I can only find the 35w here. I'd like to try the 50w. Expensive little b*ggers, ~$11.

roadie

Enlightened
i wonder if it will ever run on my 3 x imr cells setup on a KT head?

draw is 3 amp ++ i assume ,,,,

any more details?

cheers

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
They sell for $6.09 here, but minimum quantity is a case. (www.alldaylighting.com) I had not heard of this outfit before. Delivered case price is $85.50 ($11.70 Priority Mail Shipping), checkout with PayPal (I.E. works better). I used my credit card for protection.

It is yet another interesting ican strategy that is unique, and different than Osram's IRC technology. With the metalic coating in the base acting as a reflector, there should be much better output, and reflector may not even matter all that much. Unfortunately, my destructive testing may not be as useful, given the unique construction.

I ordered a case of 50W (#50050), but I can see one limiting problem you have to be careful with, namely they have a diameter of 16mm (0.62") bore required. Since the base is narrower, perhaps you could carefully insert them from inside the reflector, keeping the wider top from going through bore. I'll update the bottom diameter if Stefan has not already done this.

Thanks for the heads up on this bulb, Stefan!

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux,

unless you drill the reflector to slightly more than 16mm the only way is to insert it carefully with the reflector in place, aka down throgh the reflector.

I found the 50w variety locally but I like the 35w more since it has a longer runtime. I'll try to do some draw etc. measurements.

The reflector do matter, but the internal reflector so close to the filament puts more of the light forward. I feel that the big reflector manage to concentrate the light better and produce more throw with this bulb.

Good prices there, but a whole case will last forever.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious to see how this bulb performs outdoors. Especially against it's 50watt big brother. Out of curiosity, how many volts are you sending to the bulb? And at what current? (I see they are rated for 12volts.)

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious to see how this bulb performs outdoors. Especially against it's 50watt big brother. Out of curiosity, how many volts are you sending to the bulb? And at what current? (I see they are rated for 12volts.)

Battery draw on the 35w is 3.10A running on a 12AA eneloop pack that measures 15.5V at the moment. No ill effects from running on ~15V so far in my testing.
I don't think there's going to be much difference to the eye between the 35w and the 50w. To my eyes the 35w ministar just murder my 50w IRC bulbs.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some crude beamshots on a ceiling 2 metres away. The beams really don't look this bad in real life. And remember that I always use smooth reflectors with my OSRAM bulbs. LOP or whatever structured you like will make the beams nicer.

The Ministar is tighter with a hotter hotspot.

Ministar35w1.jpg

IRC50w1.jpg

Ministar35w2.jpg

IRC50w2.jpg

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stefan, thanks for the beamshots! Can I run this bulb wtih 4 IMR cells? Approx 16.8V hot off the charger

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stefan, thanks for the beamshots! Can I run this bulb wtih 4 IMR cells? Approx 16.8V hot off the charger

I've tried the 35w on 4 x LiION D and it survived. I charge my cells on an RC charger setup so it's 4 x 4.20V, that was no problem at all..

My 12AA eneloop packs are somewhat over 17V hot off the charger. No problems with the 35w.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried the 35w on 4 x LiION D and it survived. I charge my cells on an RC charger setup so it's 4 x 4.20V, that was no problem at all..

My 12AA eneloop packs are somewhat over 17V hot off the charger. No problems with the 35w.

Sweet! Now I need to acquire a few of these to have some fun :D This is such an awesome looking incan. I'm surprised it took this long for the development of a bulb with a built in reflector to the envelope.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some crude beamshots on a ceiling 2 metres away. The beams really don't look this bad in real life. And remember that I always use smooth reflectors with my OSRAM bulbs. LOP or whatever structured you like will make the beams nicer.

The Ministar is tighter with a hotter hotspot.
Any chance of a beamshot at the same parameters, but with a naked bulb (no reflector)?

I'm wondering how these would work, with the ~30 degree beam from the bulb refocused to a tighter beam through a lens, instead of the dual-reflector setup. Particularly considering the axial filament (although the filament itself wouldn't even be in focus), I think you might get a nice beam that way.

cnjl3

Enlightened
Good beamshots. But to me it looks like the 50W IRC has a 'hotter' hotspot. But, I realize that what I see on my PC monitor will be different that what you seeing 'live.' Still looks like a good bulb to play around with!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
OK, this seller I linked above is a good deal....got my dozen bulbs today. These are quite an impressive engineering feat with the beautiful chrome colored metal at base of bulb and onto upper stem. It just looks of very high quality.

The stem part is 0.457" (11.62mm), so my idea of using a smaller 0.5" bore reflector and CAREFULLY (as in use a white cotton glove) inserting bulb through the reflector is a possibility.

kris23

Newly Enlightened
are all of you guys using stock profile SMO reflectors? im planning on on using these or the IRC bulbs in a 16-18 cell 6D mag with AW soft start

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
are all of you guys using stock profile SMO reflectors? im planning on on using these or the IRC bulbs in a 16-18 cell 6D mag with AW soft start

Generally, the larger >50W bulbs do better with a light OP or Stipple surface because these are essentially projector bulbs normally focussed with a lens. Every bulb is different. I'll be trying this bulb without reflector, and with several size and surface reflectors after the holiday.