• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Seoul P4+14500 cell?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Seoul P4 in a MiniMag/AA, but I want to try using a single 14500 lithium ion cell as I think it would make a better rechargeable cell. Will the Seoul go up in smoke?

chiphead ( Always on the look out for more technology.)

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as the system has effective heatsinking there shouldn't be a problem.
Also, depending on electronics, sometimes a 14500 is necessary to obtain optimum results (eg. GD board at high current rating).
A whila ago I had someone make me a GD917/Uxx0H module with custom copper heatsink. Output is great and so far no overheating problems (esp. angry blue from emitter) during intermittent use. I use exclusively 14500s or 14670s with dedicated dummy spacers.

BTW, what LE configuration do you have in your Mag?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as the system has effective heatsinking there shouldn't be a problem.
Also, depending on electronics, sometimes a 14500 is necessary to obtain optimum results (eg. GD board at high current rating).
A whila ago I had someone make me a GD917/Uxx0H module with custom copper heatsink. Output is great and so far no overheating problems (esp. angry blue from emitter) during intermittent use. I use exclusively 14500s or 14670s with dedicated dummy spacers.

BTW, what LE configuration do you have in your Mag?
MadMax Seoul+Sandwich (P4-U).

chiphead

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
MadMax Seoul+Sandwich (P4-U).
That I can't say, since I don't know the characteristics of the MM+ board.
At ~700ma I don't think the SSC is being driven hard, but if heatsinking is not adequete then there's still a chance of overheating and thus the angry blue.
Also I'm not sure about the max VIn allowed, so I don't know if a 3.7V LiIon is compatible.
Perhaps someone else could answer this question......

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
That I can't say, since I don't know the characteristics of the MM+ board.
At ~700ma I don't think the SSC is being driven hard, but if heatsinking is not adequete then there's still a chance of overheating and thus the angry blue.
Also I'm not sure about the max VIn allowed, so I don't know if a 3.7V LiIon is compatible.
Perhaps someone else could answer this question......
That's ok, I don't think I'll throw caution to the winds this time. One more thing, any "Cree" sandwiches in the future?

chiphead