How many lights does MAGLITE make per month/year?

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How many lights does MAG make per month/year?

How many Maglites do Mag make a month? Try saying that fast. :laughing:

I can't even guess. I bet it's a lot.

Burgess

Flashaholic
FWIW, this little tidbit caught my eye, so i "saved" it:

On 04/06/2008, MattK (respected dealer/owner of Battery Junction)wrote on CPF:

" something like 300 Million MiniMags have been sold into the US market " ! ! !

:eek:

They were introduced in 1984.

So, that's 12 Million a Year.

Or, a Million of 'em, every Month !

And that was just stated to be the US market !

Hope this is helpful.

:cool:
_

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
25 is the retail price and probably does not reflect the revenue Maglites' whole sale price to distributors, so the number of lights they make is probably much bigger.

Although we don't know where Maglites are made these days. All the ones I see in stores say "patented in US" and nothing about where they are made.

The annual revenue for Mag Instruments is reported to be three hundred million per http://losangeles.bizjournals.com/g...244E7CBB3FDE80DB9C08F7&section=press_releases.

If we make some wild assumption that the reported annual revenues are for flashlights only at $25.00 each, we can conclude that they produce about one million flashlights per month world wide (hard to believe).

american lockpicker

Enlightened
25 is the retail price and probably does not reflect the revenue Maglites' whole sale price to distributors, so the number of lights they make is probably much bigger.

Although we don't know where Maglites are made these days. All the ones I see in stores say "patented in US" and nothing about where they are made.

If they were marked "made in USA" they would get sued by the State of California for having foriegn content in them(bulbs, LEDs, lens,etc.)

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on sales of $300M and what little other data is available, it seems that MAG produces about 2-2.5 million lights per month - perhaps 24-30 million units per year.

Wonder how many Surefire does in comparison? Does anyone know or is there already a thread on SF numbers?

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Doesnt anyone notice that this is a trick question, Maglite doesnt make "lights" they make batons and hosts.

Maglite makes 0 lights per month/year

rtt

Enlightened
Based on sales of $300M and what little other data is available, it seems that MAG produces about 2-2.5 million lights per month - perhaps 24-30 million units per year.

Wonder how many Surefire does in comparison? Does anyone know or is there already a thread on SF numbers?

Based on Hoovers http://www.hoovers.com/Company-Over...xcs,src__global--/free-co-dnb_factsheet.xhtml

Surefires revenues are estimated to be 14 million dollars for 2008. Since SF produces so many varied products, it would be difficult to extrapolate how many hand held flashlights are produced each year. The mfg run rate would be much less than Mag. If I had to guess what the run rate was for SF, I would guess about 5,000 units per month.