Mini Mag Collector Lights, a different twist

KingGlamis

Banned
Many of you have probably already seen this Mini Maglite collector set, but that's OK, it's not the main "focus" of my thread. While cool, and probably worth a lot of money 50 years from now, it's just another set of Mini Mags with cool schemes.

americanahome.jpg

http://www.maglite.com/americana.asp

What I would like to see is a collector edition Mini Mag with a CREE in it! I don't care what color it is, just give me 180 lumens in a Mini Mag. If Fenix can do it so can Mag. Or ANY similar LED, doesn't have to be a CREE.

And no, I'm not talking about modded lights. I'm talking about Mag Instrument giving people a truely cool production light.

I know I would buy one, and so would a whole lot more people than buy the current collector's editions.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Well, not quite sure if this is in line with what you've posted, but . . . .

I would really like to see Mag produce an LED version of their

"Classic" 2AA Mini-Maglite design.

Not their 1-inch longer, stretched-out head, with that

extra-long tailcap, which doesn't even have a Lanyard hole anymore !

Really disappointed that Mag had decided to alter their basic shape,

which is considered by many (including myself) to be 'bout Perfect. :kiss:

OK, they tried their "stretcho" version a couple years ago, and that

received a rather lukewarm reception.

I was hoping against hope that their New, Revised LED model would

revert back to the original dimensions.

But, alas . . . .

:sigh:

_

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, not quite sure if this is in line with what you've posted, but . . . .

I would really like to see Mag produce an LED version of their

"Classic" 2AA Mini-Maglite design.

Not their 1-inch longer, stretched-out head, with that

extra-long tailcap, which doesn't even have a Lanyard hole anymore !

The longer head is a practical necessity for the deeper reflector, which really is a very good thing. I've found you can just assemble the new (deep) bezel, the new (deep) reflector, and the old (sexy-curved) head onto a stripped old (short) body, but it just covers the o-ring when the head is fully tightened, so it's no longer possible to use it as a head-twisty, and neither the LED nor the incan module will fit. They could have done the same (keeping the head contour the same, and lengthening the bezel only), but moved the o-ring a little forward, and made a twisty-switch work, but it would still lack enough room to vary the focus much without losing the o-ring and picking up water. The longer skirt is a necessity, for it to operate like a minimag.

So I need to make a custom pill, decide which clicky-tailcap I like, and maybe even cut the body down a bit, to make my fixed-focus 14670-fueled almost classic-looking minimag a reality; it won't operate like a minimag, but that's OK with me. I don't think Mag can afford to change to a thumb-clicky design -- they'd alienate way too many customers like this (point 6).

The tailcap, though... that makes no sense at all to me. There was nothing wrong with the old tailcap, they could have just left the spare lamp holder out, and left it otherwise the same. Surely they didn't save money by putting an ultra-long spring vs. a shorter one... the only cost saving I see in the new design is the elimination of the keyring/lanyard hole, i.e. a functionality cut.