LED Troubleshooting guide (budget lights)

nakamoomin

Newly Enlightened
I've just been introduced to the world of LED lighting. Over the last two weeks I've received two lights from an undisclosed (but very popular) dealer in HongKong (DX).

These so-called budget lights are great value, but both have been "twitchy". The first (Romisen RC-F4) had an issue with its switch being unreliable. The second (MTE "P7-D", 5-mode) had a flickering issue. I'm sure others have problems with budget lights, and therefore I've made this tiny troubleshooting guide. Feel free to comment as I am a noob with regards to LED flashlights (except for a Luxeon I bikelight I designed and built for an engineering project in university a few years back).

OK! Here goes!

3397776193_f9e84074e9_o.jpg

my lights

These are the lights I will use today (I also have a DX Pig-light, but I've never had any issues with it, so recon these are maintenance-free, ha ha), the Romisen RC-F4 and the MTE "P7-D" (5-mode).

DIM OUTPUT

1) Check the batteries!
If output is dim, but there is no flickering issue, the battery is a likely culprit. Some voltage-regulating circuitry may also flicker when the voltage drops, but this is rare. Remember: If your light uses more than one battery you need to be EXTREMELY careful not to mix-and-match batteries of different capacity or voltage. If you suspect that one of the batteries are dead (sometimes even brand new ones are dead) remove them and get them checked. This goes for all lithium-based batteries, primaries as well as rechargeables. Consider purchasing protected cells as well.

2) Check the LED
3397852647_da4a2cb8a5_o.jpg

Visually inspect the LED to see if it shows any sign of being "burnt" (discoloration, dark spots). This should be visible through the lens.

3) Check the solder-points and contact-points
3397891395_07beeb9ffa_o.jpg

Visually inspect the solder-points by removing the head. If this is not possible remove the bezel and extract the glass and reflector if possible. Some heads are glued (such as the MTE "P7-D") but it may still be possible to access the LED/pill by removing the bezel/lens/reflector. Be very carful not to touch the reflector. It is polished and aluminium is soft. If you don't know what you're doing cleaning it is likely to ruin it! Wipe the lens when you reassemble. If everything seems all right, continue troubleshooting using the steps regarding flickering/switch issues.

FLICKERING / SWITCH ISSUES

1) Clean the internals of the light
Use compressed air or "tap and blow" to make sure no metal shavings/debris from the manufacture of the metal parts is caught inside the tube.

2) Check the contact between body and tailcap/switch-assembly
3398710206_f9ed098301_o.jpg

Remove the tailcap and use a paper-clip or otherwise suitable piece of metal and make contact between battery negative and the body. Make sure you make the contact on a part of the body that is not anodized. If the flickering stops, this may indicate a "bad" switch or bad contact between tailcap and body. Use a pair of needle-nose pliers (or a pair of sturdy tweezers) to tighten the switch-assembly (turn clockwise). If the switch-assembly is tight in the tailcap, remove it (counter-clocwise) to inspect.
3398720714_e446292879_o.jpg

Some switches are "open" (MTE "P7-D") while others are "closed" (Romisen RC-F4). If your switch is of the "closed" type, it will hold the switch within a container that is inserted into the tailcap. If it is "open" the tailcap itself will form the container.
3398659792_426d248b92_o.jpg

For "closed" switches, tighten the inner seal (see picture), reassemble and test. If no improvement is seen, continue with procedure for "open" switches.
For "open" switches, remove the parts and check for contact. Use a fine-grain sanding-paper (400 grit or higher) to clean the contact surfaces for solder-flux and other impurities.
3398733304_75989f44c1_o.jpg

Reassemble.

3) Check the contact between body and pill.
Do the paper-clip test as described previously. Vary the pressure on the battery. If the flickering is reduced/stops when pressure is applied, this indicates a contact problem between the pill and the body.
Get access to the pill by removing the head or by removing the bezel/lens/reflector. Remember to NOT touch the "shiny" parts of the reflector with your bare hands (or anything greasy)
3397936553_9484783d9a_o.jpg

Check if the pill is tight by using a pair of tweezers/needle-nose pliers and twist it clockwise. If it is tight there may be a problem with the wiring, which requires advanced repair (perhaps to be covered in another thread).
Reassemble and you're done.

3398754918_53a03fb7ba_o.jpg

I hope this is helpful. I searched these forums for help on my MTE "P7-D" as it was nearly unusable when I got it (heavy flickering) and there was no easy check-list for troubleshooting these lights. Here it is! Feel free to comment!

Tom.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome! Great step by step pictures and instructions! You should do this with the more popular lights (although I suppose they would be similar to the ones you used).

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Great first post, nakamoomin! Welcome to CPF. Looks like you should be happy here, and we appreciate your input. Your guide is excellent.

Geoff

nakamoomin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I guess most lights are built (more or less) the same, so I thought it'd be nice to go through some basic troubleshooting. I know others are strugling with the build-quality of these cheap lights. Usually it all comes down to bad assembly (thankfully).

Right now I am contemplating a direct-drive mod for the RC-F4 (a la BessieBenny) which will include pics (of course).

Also I'm waiting for an SSC P4 U-bin on star to upgrade my ancient Myo-XP.
Tutorial with pics will follow.

Again, thanks for the feedback, keep it coming.. :)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Wow! Nice first post!

I think this should be stickied, to cut down on the "my light is broken, how do I fix it" type posts.

:welcome:

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
We should sticky this and add to this as more useful things come along. This is a great beginning post, but far from extensive. With a few more additions this could be fantastic!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Yes this is a handy thread and covers the basics very well.

Great first post and welcome to CPF!

:welcome:

nakamoomin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys! I really feel welcome!
I've been reading the forums for a month or so, especially bessiebenny's budget guide but this is my first post.

As for additions: Bring it on! I am more than willing to add to this post.

I am also contemplating an "advanced troubleshooting" or "troubleshooting for power-users" which would include: resoldering bad connections, application of thermal paste/glue, LED replacement, meassuring power draw and voltages etc.
Maybe even some modification (conversion to direct drive).

Again, cheers guys, and keep suggestions coming. (I'll add them as soon as i have a chance)

T.

horizonseeker

Enlightened
Great thread. A lot of this stuff I figured out by lurking and just doing it, but it would be a lot easier to have a pictorial like this one for beginners.

NOT THE SLOWEST

Newly Enlightened
You are my hero. I finally know what part of my light doesn't work, the switch. Now I need to find a replacement part.

Thanks

Robert

NOT THE SLOWEST

Newly Enlightened
Got the switch, my light works. I'm a happy Camper. I cycle through the street of NYC and have found the strobe mode the BEST way for me to be noticed. Yes it may be overkill, but better than road kill. It's the only thing I have found that "may" get me noticed on my nite commute. Now I'm off to find an affordable light that I can use. P7's look nice, but need longer battery run time.

Rob

setherd

Newly Enlightened
problem with P60 drop in.... intermittent contact????

A while back I bought a cheap Dealextreme LED dropin for my surefire Z2. I often have to hit the end for it to work. even after I screw the tailcap down fully it wont come on. But other times it will go days without issue.
I don't think it a tailcap issue. I guess the body of the dropin isn't completing the circuit in the head.

does this make sense? it was a cheap one. I want to get something better but can't make up my mind.
I have a mcclicky switch on the way so I can confirm if its the switch or not.

Is there something I can put on the dropin to help contact? maybe some arctic silver?

thanks!

dottormale

Newly Enlightened
fantastic post !

thank you , i fixed my new aurora p7 , that wasn't assembled properly .

thank you form italy :))))))))))