Raw Ti - Ti Necklace

JohnF

Enlightened
Wanted something other than the strap of leather to hold the Ti around my neck, and found this titanium necklace with barrels that sort of resemble the flashlight in miniature. No, that is not my neck, it is a tree in the yard!

For some reason, the forum says I cannot post attachments, try this link:

http://members.cox.net/jfweb/photos/TiNecklace.jpg

John F
LV, NV

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
John,

You are right, this forum does not allow attachements. You have to store photos in a PhotoBucket or ImageShack account and paste an image tag here. Like this...

[*IMG*]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/MikeSalt/TiNecklace.jpg[*/IMG*] albeit without the '*' to give...

TiNecklace.jpg

JohnF

Enlightened
Thanks for the attachment tip. Any reason why it has to be from photobucket, and not my own ftp server?

The necklace is all Titanium possibly except for the claw clasp, which appears to be stainless. Found it on a website called 'justmetal', price was considerably cheaper than the torch.

I prefer the green locators as they are known to have greater apparent brightness than blue or white trits, easier for my old eyes to locate.

John F
LV, NV

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the attachment tip. Any reason why it has to be from photobucket, and not my own ftp server?

Your own ftp server? Now that's just showing off :p . In fact, let's see if it works...

TiNecklace.jpg

Yes, looks like it does.

And yes, I agree on the perceived brightness of green. I needed a laser pointer for work and decided that green was the best choice. Apart from the 'cool' factor, I could not justify the £200 price tag of a blue laser when it would actually be perceived as dimmer to green (sticking to <1mW in all cases)

JohnF

Enlightened
Your own ftp server? Now that's just showing off :p . In fact, let's see if it works...

Ah, learn something most every day - thanks. Of course, it is not really 'my own' ftp server, but my ISP gives me 50mb space on a ftp server of my name choice, so it is kind of my own.

It appears I may have gone slightly overboard when filing the pin to reduce the turns necessary to go from low to high brightness - have to get out my 'pin stretcher'. Looks like 1/2 turn is the optimum for reliable operation.

Liking the necklace, now never without the Ti torch, even in the spa or shower. So far, no leakage. I've gone back to the larger claw clasp to attach to the necklace - the small one looked a little better (and weighs less), but is harder to remove from the necklace.

I've got a spare blank PCB for the RawTi, and have a couple of high CRI emitters on order to play around with. I'll be giving up some brightness for extremely good color rendition. Not that there is anything wrong with the warm white Cree in there now, but, things must be played with. We'll see how it works out.

BTW, the difference in perceived brightness between green, blue and white tritium vials is quite substantial - depends on your eyes of course, but green vials are perceived as nearly twice as bright by most eyes from what I've read. Gun sight makers have done a good bit of research in this, which is why most all open sight tritium enhanced sights are green (the vials are very small).

John F

Last edited:

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, JohnF

Your Ti necklace looks wonderful with Raw Ti.
But, isn't it a bit heavy when you wear it around your neck?
Just wondering...:)

JohnF

Enlightened
I've worn it all day everyday since I got it, and just unclip the RawTi before bed. Honestly, I don't notice it one bit, never have.

John F