handgun bore lighting

Scoper

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

I'm new (not that new of course). I'm scoper's brother. so don't relate this thread to him.

What I want is advice on the best way to examine the bores of my handguns.

leds ? or incandescant? And how should I mount them?

From the front (in front of my face), or from the back (through the breech while Iam looking down from the muzzle?) what?

Thanks for your suggestions,

gordon

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
after cleaning i always hold it up to indirect light. i always mean to buy one of those fiber optic lights that are sold for such a thing. but holding it up to light always works for me.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
How about one of those watchamacallit lights with the bendable led head that runs on a 9v. What's the name of the light?

I also like the bent neck fiber optic lights but don't own one.

I would say LED of some type is better than incan. More durable, usually whiter unless you spend some $$, longer life and smaller.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pelican Mitylite's come with a removable acrylic borescope that is bent so it fits into the Breech even through the ejection port on an automatic. you sight down the barrel into the action from the muzzle when you use a borecope on a flashlight. I think the Mitylites are great for this they only cost about $10 from places like MSC and they won't completely blind you.

Hope that helps! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Stylus is perfect for this application. For long barrels, you can even pull off the pocket clip and drop it down the barrel.

Mark

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walmart has a nite-eyes (eze?) fiber obtic tube for about 8 bucks. Drop a BB 500 in a M!ni-Mag, pop the cap of the F. O. tube on the Mini and you now have surgical lighting access to the weapon.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tsg68 said:
The Pelican Mitylite's come with a removable acrylic borescope that is bent so it fits into the

[/ QUOTE ] this will work without the light attatched, just point the end at a lightsource. i actually prefer it without the light as it doesn't glare or blind as badly. my gunsmith has one and i've used it a few times, no lightattatched. works great.