Is the Asp Street Defender pepper spray worth buying?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the Asp Street Defender pepper spray worth buying? I like to hear from someone who owns one. I carry a folding knife because I can't pack a gun or ASP baton in CA.

• Dimensions are 6.5 x 0.75 inches
• Weighs 3 oz.
• 10% Oleoresin Capsicum formulation
• Capacity is 30, one-half second bursts
• Effective range of 10'

http://www.asp-net.com/oc.html

http://www.productwizard.com/aspstde.html

The fact that you say "pack a gun" probably says a lot, but I hope not :)

I would go with FOX. We carry it.

http://www.foxlabs.com/pepperspray.shtml

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see this question or one like it pop up all too often. Few people ever do this, but I'll still suggest it in the faint hope that once in a great while someone will actually think things through about defense. Not hoping for much but here goes...

The smart thing to do is to take defense courses/training. Learn how to be aware of your surroundings to avoid trouble in the first place (best option of all) and to gain a smart attitude. A trained person can learn to make an effective defense with a pocket comb, set of keys, or even a magazine. Here is the hard, cold truth -- an untrained person with pepper spray, a knife, or even a firearm very often has it taken away and used against them. A trained person has a mindset that leads to clearer thought in an attack, a faster reaction time, and a willingness to respond to the attacker so that it ends with a better outcome. Do not underestimate training for that attitude -- it's a life saver.

Reality check time. The actual percentage of people who become victims of a "crime against a person" are pretty low.

Still that small possibility makes people afraid. Getting something if it is simply because you are afraid is a bad decision. What mostly happens is that people purchase a defensive item or a weapon of some sort and that's the end of it. They never have any training, practice, or understanding of what is going to happen if it has to be used. If you do decide on a defensive item, you must learn how to use it from a professional, practice with it, and then practice some more -- a book or video alone is not a substitute. Untrained and unprepared people who carry something with which they think they can defend themselves often just bring another tool for their attacker to use after they take it away from you. It happens every day.

Back to pepper spray.

It is not legal where I live but I don't think I would use it anyway. Windy days make it a crap shoot and some attackers can ignore it depending on what drugs they're on, even the sprays with high Scoville units. Police use it but remember that they also have training and back up with both other personnel and weapon choices. Wouldn't be too bad for using on an attacking dog I guess. It can make life really interesting if you forget you have it with you and walk into an airport or court house. Also, carrying it in a pocket or a bag just means you are not going to have time to get to it if you need it, so what are you going to do -- always have it in your hand? Just doesn't sound like a good idea.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the Asp Street Defender pepper spray worth buying? I like to hear from someone who owns one. I carry a folding knife because I can't pack a gun or ASP baton in CA.

I've got about 6 line-'o'-duty pepper spray uses against dogs and people using three different brands. I've also been sprayed myself in training. I carry pepper spray off duty, in addition to my gun and knife here in sunny, overtaxed California, which should say something.

I like the format of the Street Defender--the kubotan style body. I've never used ASP spray, though. I carry Sabre Red on duty with a trigger style can, and Kimber Lifeact off duty. I've used both against people. Neither was particularly effective, though it's sometimes hard to define "effective." What are you trying to accomplish specifically? Bad guy surrenders, runs away, or doesn't initiate a fight that seemed imminent? Or just has trouble seeing during the actual fight?

I recommend anybody carry pepper spray of the major brands--Fox, Freeze +P, Sabre Red, Def Tec, and ASP, I guess.

I'd also recommend a Taser C-2, which I also carry. Tasers are CA legal and much, much more effective than pepper spray.

Finally, it is possible for civilians to carry guns and collapsible batons in CA. You need a permit for either. My uncle had a concealed handgun permit in Placer County, but got tired of paying the annual fees.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 I was going to tell you to get a taser.

I read an article in a police magazine a couple of weeks ago that said sometimes attackers are thwarted by a laser.

Get one that has the lasers on it and that way, the psychological impact of them knowing they are fixing to be tased sets in.

A red laser piercing the air and landing on your chest is a pretty good indication your fixing to get your *** handed to you.

Keep in mind though, civilian tasers do not do the same as police tasers. Two different worlds so don't expect the same reaction.

Civilian models do not attack the central nervous system and are designed to be deployed, dropped, and not re-used.

If you buy a TASER (that's a product name, it's actually a stun gun or something) and you use it, TASER will actually send you a new one if you send a copy of the police report saying you tased someone :)

vtec

Newly Enlightened
Does any one here own the Asp Street Defender pepper spray?

Kato

Enlightened
I have an ASP Key Defender on my off-duty keychain. It provides an intermediate level of force between using personal weapons and the lethal force of my handgun or knife. Not all encounters justify the use of lethal force.

If you're going to carry pepper spray (OC), the Key Defender is small enough that it doesn't become a burden. It's simple interface (pop off the safety collar, aim the end at attacker, and press the plunger) is easy enough in stressful situations. I prefer the stream of my full-size canister when in uniform, but the spray from the Key Defender isn't too bad in terms of range.

If you're not familiar with the effects of OC, know that OC most likely won't stop the attack. Know that even if the attacker is sensitive to OC, it takes several seconds for the OC to even take effect. A lot can happen in several seconds.

Many people have many different reactions to OC. I've had subjects immediately give up the fight, and I've had subjects that didn't even blink when sprayed.

If you're lucky, the attacker will shut his eyes and grab his burning face allowing you to attack or disengage. If you're less lucky, you'll have to fight off the attacker until the effects of the OC take effect to some extent or another. If you're even less lucky, the attacker will be able to fight off the effects of the OC and continue his attack. And in some cases, the attacker will not be affected by the OC whatsoever. Time to go to Plan B.

OC, when properly used, is better than nothing. But please don't rely on OC as a sole means of defense. Treat it as part of an overall system of personal protection, one that includes situational awareness, threat avoidance, defensive tactics, and use of available tools.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

vtec

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate your comments Kato.

I prefer the Asp Street Defender pepper spray since it has 30 shots.

Can the safety switch accidentally disengage?

Kato

Enlightened
I've never had the safety collar on my Key Defender accidentally disengage. Although I cannot characterize it as tight, it won't pop off unless you sweep it with your thumb or it brushes against something solid at the correct angle. The safety collar is optimized for use in the right hand (your thumb naturally grips the Key Defender as you sweep the safety), but a lefty can work it just fine.