Jetbeam        
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 36789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world (part 3)

Default Re: The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world (part 3)

Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    OK

There is room for you right now unless someone comes along and gives you the bump. Thanks!

Current standings
    1. markdurling
    2. racerX
    3. ledcarry

Well guys, I've got to try: Michael, I'll take a spot unless someone else ahead of me claims it...

Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jsholli View Post
    Well guys, I've got to try: Michael, I'll take a spot unless someone else ahead of me claims it...

Thanks,
    John
    Current standings
    1. markdurling
    2. racerX
    3. jsholli

ledcarry

Hey Michael,

If anything changes I will be happy to get back on the list, otherwise I will look for your new light when it's ready.

Thanks,

Jeff

OK it looks like we have this round set. I will send you all PMs shortly. Thanks!

1. markdurling
    2. racerX
    3. jsholli

Quote Originally Posted by ledcarry View Post
    Hey Michael,

If anything changes I will be happy to get back on the list, otherwise I will look for your new light when it's ready.

Thanks,

Jeff
    I don't know when the new light will be ready so don't hold your breath.

Faint Re: The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world (part 3)

OK it looks like we have this round set. I will send you all PMs shortly. Thanks!
    PM replied to...thank you! thank you! thank you! ""

Flashaholic

Congrats guys!
    TK40, L0D, E01, P3D, P2D, Modamag TK Monster, ARC mania X6, DEFT, Mac's SST50 EDC Aluminium, Titanium Preon 2, LED Lenser duplex headlamp, 4D Mag w/ TLE300, Tiablo A7, Lummi Wee, Surefire C2HA w/ SST90 Nailbender dropin

Michael,

Weren't you looking for some Cree XR-E 5A Q3 Bin emitters?

Some for sale in the BST, also some Cree XP-E 5A Q3 Bin.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=243490

could be wrong, but I remembered something you said about them in the old thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Aircraft800 View Post
    Michael,

Weren't you looking for some Cree XR-E 5A Q3 Bin emitters?

Some for sale in the BST, also some Cree XP-E 5A Q3 Bin.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=243490

could be wrong, but I remembered something you said about them in the old thread.
    At one time yes. Good memory! I have moved on however. Thanks!

Flashaholic

Well at long last, I managed to pick up my Deft from my mate.

I have to say I am disappointed.

If one compares it to a star trek Phasor, it is clear to me that the Phasor has been better thought out in as much as it includes a capability to set it to "stun".

The DEFT runs purely on Kill Kill Kill. :-0

What a simply amazing bit of kit :-)

Michael - I salute you. I cannot beleive just how far this little brugger sends this tight beam of light down range.

You also seem to have stolen the banna eating fusion generator from atop the Delorean from back to the future too?

I havent run it for very long overall but it just seems to run for quite a while.

The frosted lens changes things completely though. The clear lens square patch almost leaves anything outside the square in darkness.

The frosted pulls a tight reign on this throw monster and makes the beam and spill more useable for more every day purposes.

But if you want to see long, and i do mean long, this little lewinski has the cigar firmly between it's lips :-)

If I have one observation, I can see why you are open to finding an alternative to the host body and head. There is nothing wrong with it per se but it just lacks that little something. I cant put my finger on it but I think I know what you mean Micheal.

The carbon bezel is just pure art. I have looked a number of times and I cant see a flaw in it - quite exquisite work. Maybe it is the sheer brilliance of this bit you have made that shows the body in a little shadow if you will pardon the lumens analogy.

For those on the build list with the latest version, holy carp but are you in for a treat or what.

First time out, I had to point blank prize the damned thing out of my mates hand to get it back and that was with the frosted lens in.

This is pure mental lumen technology.

One happy dude...................dude

Quote Originally Posted by looman View Post
    For those on the build list with the latest version, holy carp but are you in for a treat or what.

I get mine in two days!...... Hopefully Michael will bring a frosted lens so I can see the difference.. I might have to pick one up.

I"m expecting it to be Magnasty!...... We will be meeting at the DFW meeting with a bunch of guys.... the DEFT may steal the show!
    Prev- Xeray BB 75W HID, Acro 990X, JET-I PRO, M1X LED,Oracle 35W HID , P1D Q5, L35-35 watt HID, Zebralight H30, H31W. & H60W LED, Quark MiNi 123, Quark MiNi 123 TI, Fenix PD 10 ti, DEFT LED-35/80W HID Mule, OLIGHT-SR90-2200L LED, 1.9watt blue laser, FFIII HID, Nitecore TM26

Quote Originally Posted by looman View Post
    Well at long last, I managed to pick up my Deft from my mate.

I have to say I am disappointed.

If one compares it to a star trek Phasor, it is clear to me that the Phasor has been better thought out in as much as it includes a capability to set it to "stun".

The DEFT runs purely on Kill Kill Kill. :-0

What a simply amazing bit of kit :-)

Michael - I salute you. I cannot beleive just how far this little brugger sends this tight beam of light down range.

You also seem to have stolen the banna eating fusion generator from atop the Delorean from back to the future too?

I havent run it for very long overall but it just seems to run for quite a while.

The frosted lens changes things completely though. The clear lens square patch almost leaves anything outside the square in darkness.

The frosted pulls a tight reign on this throw monster and makes the beam and spill more useable for more every day purposes.

But if you want to see long, and i do mean long, this little lewinski has the cigar firmly between it's lips :-)

If I have one observation, I can see why you are open to finding an alternative to the host body and head. There is nothing wrong with it per se but it just lacks that little something. I cant put my finger on it but I think I know what you mean Micheal.

The carbon bezel is just pure art. I have looked a number of times and I cant see a flaw in it - quite exquisite work. Maybe it is the sheer brilliance of this bit you have made that shows the body in a little shadow if you will pardon the lumens analogy.

First time out, I had to point blank prize the damned thing out of my mates hand to get it back and that was with the frosted lens in.

This is pure mental lumen technology.

One happy dude...................dude
    Well thats one heck of a writeup. Thanks! I assure you there are flaws in the bezel though.
    I have the pleasure of seeing these lights at every stage and I can tell you that far from making the body look bad it actually makes for a huge improvement in the look(and function) of the light. The base light on its own as it comes from the factory is a rather pathetic piece of work. Thats why these lights take so long to get to a respectable level of quality. There is still room for improvement but we have done all we can do with this host.

As to the design- well I do indeed know what that something is. I am a design guy after all. The design of current "tactical" lights have a very aggressive manly form to them with sharp corners and aggressive knurling, which I do like. The DEFT host is much more lighthearted in its design with a few design flourishes to keep the light from being boring but which are also easy and cheap to manufacture. It's not what I would have designed had I been given the task but it is not offensive or I would never have considered using it as a host.

I'm tickled pink you enjoy your light and glad you see the value of the development I put into making the other lenses for the DEFT. Thanks for the feedback!

This light is beyond all comparison. What most people fail to state is how SMALL and LIGHT the darned thing really is! Yes it has the weight of 4 AA batteries, yes its housing is big enough to encompass the large plastic aspherical lens (which is what gives the light it's vaunted throw), but since there's no heavy lead battery or other such cumbersome electronics, it's MUCH lighter than any HID I've held. Yes folks, I compare it to an HID because anything less just seems unfair. My first few days with it, I whipped out my favorite mass-produced thrower, my Dereelight DBS armed with a 1SD, R2 pill and an aspherical lens. I've read that the Tiablo's aspherical outhrows it but not by much.

The DBS is much smaller and has neither a main aspherical anywhere near as big as the DEFT's nor a focusing lens right in front of the LED. Both lights seems to be pushing the LED to the same level of brightness, but it's the optics which just fling those photons out like a magnetic railgun (get the reference?). The DEFT is pretty big compared to my DBS, but it's really light and doesn't produce as much heat, either. At moderate distances, they seem comparable, but make no mistake, folks, the DEFT is the king . . . by a WHOLE LOT! Yes, HID's will blow it out of the water with amounts of light that are put out, but try holding one for more than five minutes! The fact that you can illuminate your targets at such a distance with so little effort on holding a heavier light makes this wonderful little guy a bargain.

On a final note, I got the MC-E pill and frosted diffuser lens because I just love MC-E lights (yes, another DBS is loaded with one in my arsenal). I haven't gotten much time to play with the MC-E but my initial impressions were that the DEFT really is designed for throw. I think a lot of the MC-E's light may be lost in the head without being put out of the lens. I know next to nothing about how much current affects brightness of pills and all I know about voltage is what combinations of batteries NOT to put into my lights in order to keep them from going *poof*. Maybe the MC-E in the DEFT is much brighter than the one in my DBS, but it seems like there's some light lost in both the frosted coating on the dome of the LED as well as the lens. It makes for a nice toy, in the end, but there's just not as much wow factor using the DEFT in this fashion, IMHO. Of course, YMMV and I may change my tune after a couple of nights with the DEFT in MC-E mode (cruise mode versus assault mode . . . another reference) . . . but I just haven't gotten up the desire to use the DEFT for anything BUT it's intended purpose . . . to throw like no one's business!

Thanks Michael. My first custom light is living up to all the hype.

I might have to make a photoshoot and post the pics either here or in another thread. That thread will be titled:
    "The DEFT goes to DISNEYWORLD."

I've gone there often to light things from a distance, especially when the shows are going on at night. We'll see how my work schedule allows me to set this up.
    Last edited by jblackwood; 10-02-2009 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Adding content
    It's better to have and not need than need and not have.
    South Florida get-together for anyone who's interested!

I agree... one of the main hassles of the brighter lights is weight.
    Without actually mounting it, a light is a hassle for traveling at night in a boat.. especially if your by yourself with no one else to hold it.

It will be fun to see what this little baby will do on open water.
    Thats a real challenge for lights as the humidity off the water, bugs etc tend to really squash lumens as they attempt to go the distance and then bounce all the way back for you to see those objects.

Plus, any light with lots of splash, will kill nightime vision for distance as the close nearby objects causes the pupils in the eyes to constrict to protect themselves. The DEFT is so directional, that shouldn't be a problem.
    Prev- Xeray BB 75W HID, Acro 990X, JET-I PRO, M1X LED,Oracle 35W HID , P1D Q5, L35-35 watt HID, Zebralight H30, H31W. & H60W LED, Quark MiNi 123, Quark MiNi 123 TI, Fenix PD 10 ti, DEFT LED-35/80W HID Mule, OLIGHT-SR90-2200L LED, 1.9watt blue laser, FFIII HID, Nitecore TM26

Yes yours is part of the next shipment. I realised about an hour ago that I needed cases so those were ordered a few minutes ago. Everything else is ready except the lenses which need one more day curing. I do have all those options listed here for you on "the wall" so you are OK.

The current DEFT is ending but there will be a replacement. Due to packaging and material requirements it may not throw quite as far though. We'll see though as I have a bit more R+D before I make a definitive statement.

Hope you haven't made a definite statement yet. I want in on the Interest list!
    for the current DEFT!!! Don't end it yet! Its not my fault I was living under a big rock and finally came up to see the light!

Tanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by Noctilion View Post
    Hope you haven't made a definite statement yet. I want in on the Interest list!
    for the current DEFT!!! Don't end it yet! Its not my fault I was living under a big rock and finally came up to see the light!

Tanks in advance...
    I will go ahead and add you to the list. I take it you are aware that I do not send out PM notifications. However I do have an e-mail notification list that I can put you on if you are so inclined so that you will know when more spots open up to move to the build list. Just PM me your e-mail addy and I will put you on. Thanks.

Just as an FYI to everyone concerned I went through all our lights and found we have enough good lights to continue producing the current DEFT for a little while longer. How many many more we do remains to be seen. Thanks for everyones support thus far!
    Last edited by saabluster; 10-04-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: grammer

Well I got my new DEFT last night at the DFW CPF meeting!

Not only is it the most unique in my collection, its the most unique I've ever seen in person!

As you see in my sig, I have the L35 HID light. Whats amazing is I can compare the two!
    Although the L35 make a bigger splash on the scene, the DEFT is "just as bright! if not brighter than the L35 of the objects it hits!

Thats quite a compliment!... true the square footage of the area hit is much smaller, but its like wielding a light saber.

Up close in a room, I liken it to the hotspot of a very large magnifying glass on the wall.

Its was drizzly rainy last night and we still got great penetration as we shot as some trees that must have been 666 - 800 yards away by guess.

It was tricky getting pictures as when turning on an HID next to the DEFT, the camera adjusted for all the closein splash and shut the Aperature down making the DEFT invisible.

This is exactly what our natural eye does too when using an HID or any bright light with lots of spill, so for seeing into the distance, it takes even the more light to see.

Whereas the DEFT is so narrow with zero spill you night vision is really preserved making it great to see detail in the distance.
    The only way I could get any spill was to put it about 2 feet away from something then there is very slight.

When you turn the DEFT off, it looks like a giant eyeball of some monster as you gaze into the lens looking at the glowing eyeball look back at you!

You could take two of these and put them about 12 inches apart and raise them about 7 feet in the air and come walking into your wifes bedroom and mess up the sheets as it would look like a 7 foot monster with glowing eyes walking into the bedroom!

I tried the diffused lens and personally didn't prefer it "this was the one that had strongest diffraction" it made it look like a flashlight to me.
    I suppose thats fine if thats what you want, but I have tons of flashlights running out the ears and I don't see the logic in taking such awesome technology and uniqueness and turning it into the common flashlight... but to each his own.

Then the next lens thats closest to smooth is called a "diffused" lens. It allows the DEFT to keep its narrow saber beam and brightness "except" in the extreme distance "several hundred yards" where it lost power and bite.

In the misty night air, that diffused lens illuminated things but you couldn't see any detail.
    I would say its a lens worth considering for having a very tight bright flashlight for use under 200 yards.

Only the smooth lens offered crystal clear definition and contrast into the extreme distance... so much so, that up close it was almost too much!
    Guys... be careful "like when using a laser" not to blast anybody up close.

Michael ran to the car to get some lenses and I blasted him while he was still about 125 yards away just so he would know what his creation looked like from the business end!.... He was nice and didn't say anything, but I bet it toasted his eyes even at that distance!

Its a throw monster for sure as many have called it.

Lastly I would like to say, I also compared it to my Barnburner Xeray 75W HID thats running a tad hotter than that.. prob 80 - 85 watts and the DEFT even held it own against it in surface brightness of objects reflected for its small little area the DEFT claims as its domain on the objects it claims.

The only exception to that was that the Barnburners extreme hotspot outshined the DEFT to some degree. The BB was set to the tightest focus too.

Its quite an accomplishment to say a mere LED light maintained the same surface brightness on objects and the King Barnburner HID light!

Good job Michael!.. I'm quite excited about the new things coming.
    The DEFT does all this with 4 mere AA batteries.... what possibilities are there with a couple of 18650's???? yea baby!

Michael is no slouch on keeping up with the times and staying cutting edge.

We got a peek at his new baby and are sworn to secrecy... but I'll say its by all means a work of art and class!.... It will be the Polarion "plus some" of the LED lights! The best of the best in all respects.

If it can be done in a costly manner, he does it!

I have limited time in the next few days so I don't have time to give full responses but I would like to thank you gents for your excellent feedback. Seeing the DEFT out-throw an L35 and keep up with an overboosted Barnburner this weekend was a real treat. Thank you so much!!!

Great to read your impressions, Windy!!!

Thanks Lux... I'll try to take some nightime comparison shots here at my house.

Until then, there are a couple of shots I took during the daytime during overcast sky.

BTW, for those who think the DEFT is too tight to be useful, thats not really the case, Its just weird having no spill.
    At 45 yards, I get about a six foot X six foot beam....... and at 20 yards, its about 2 foot X 2 foot... I'll perfect those measurements tonight.

First is the L35 HID against the DEFT at 12 yards against a white vinyl fence.
    As you can see the DEFT hold its own in surface brightness in all respects.
    Anyone who has an L35 knows "allot" more light is present than appears during this daytime overcast shot... the DEFT "LED" is amazing!

L35 on the Left and DEFT on the right

Now the exact comparison with the Xeray Barnburner 80 - 85W HID against the DEFT at 12 yards overcast sky. As you can see, the DEFT holds it on in respects to corona and spill, over being overtaken by the extreme hot center hotspot of the Barnburner... again.. anyone who has seen a barnburner in action, this is amazing!

Instead of taking a nightime shot and adjusting to turn the brightness down, I thought I would take this daytime overcast approach.

Barnburner on the Left and DEFT on the right

Last edited by windstrings; 10-05-2009 at 02:33 PM.

I did put Imedions in the DEFT and they are a tad tight. I also tried the duracell lsd's and they are ever so slightly looser, but not enough to warrant a new purchase... I will stick with the imedions for now since they are higher rated a/h.

As promised I did a few more beam shot comparisons.
    The two best lights I have is the L35 HID and the Xeray Barnburner so I will use these for these "nightime" shots.

First is the L35 on the Left and the DEFT on the right at 12 yards.... all shots are against a white vinyl fence.

Next is same shot with Barnburner on Left and DEFT on right at 12 yrds

Next the 45 yard shots, L35 on left, DEFT on right
    NOTE... in these 45 yard shots, you can see just how big area is the DEFT claims.... just about six feet tall!
    When viewing much longer shots, the DEFT's area it claims is obviously even bigger, but against the area the Barnburner or L35 claims it seems much smaller. IN other words..... at this close range, you cannot see the full pattern of the HID's, these examples are merely to show intensity and surface brightness.

Next the 45 yard shots, Barnburner on left, DEFT on right

Next 2 shots are all 3, Barnburner on Left, Deft in middle, and L35 on right

Too much fog to give farther shots tonight, but you get the general idea of how much surface brightness is reached with each light!

The DEFT is the first LED I can think of that holds its own in throw against the HID big boys.

If you want a light that has the hot spot of a good quality HID without any corona or spill in a small handheld LED.... get the DEFT!

--------------------
    Edit: I believe the reason the L35 appears a little blue when compared against all 3 is because my camera is my phone and the white balance is set to auto. The Barnburner is a warmer tint and since its the brightest overall, the phone attempt to color correct that warm tint to white, which cause the other two to look a tad blue.
    In real life, they all look white by themselves as the human eye also corrects white balance when there is not a comparison.

In real life the L35 and the DEFT did not look that blue.
    Last edited by windstrings; 10-06-2009 at 05:51 AM.

WOW... I saw Lux's review with the maxabeam, but these shots make me give much more credit to the DEFT than I did before

Since this thread "is" an LED thread and its possible many of the folks who browse here haven't played with HID's, I decided to throw in a beamshot of the deft vs. M1X using an extender so it can use two 18650 battery's. Here and Here are two pics of my M1x so you know what the DEFT is running against.

On the Left is the beam of the M1X and the DEFT is on the right, both are again at 45 yards against a white vinyl fence.

Last edited by windstrings; 10-06-2009 at 05:56 AM.

I could be wrong here, but Ive decided this is the best light to keep by my bedside in case of an intruder.

Normal lights "even instant on LEDs" have a corona and spill that would allow the intruder light enough to escape by once his eyes recovered from the initial blinding.

But the DEFT does not afford that grace.. your either blinded or you have nothing should it be shined in your face... no in between!

Of course if hes in your house you may have to finish him off so you dont get sued for permanently blinding him!

For those spotting game, it should have the same effect.... Game will not run from a light on a pitch black night because they cannot see to run, but on a full moon they will.

ROFL! Just saw your review pix, Windy. I never thought in a million years of comparing DEFT to the Barnburner, or of a good way to do it. Excellent showing that!!!

That actually blew me away, but now you see why I have three of these DEFTs. Saabluster should be righteously proud of what this can accomplish.

Which LED did you get, and do you have that smaller focusser lens in yours?

Windstrings those are some incredible shots. Thank you so much for spending the time to take and post them. I have to say I was a bit surprised myself to see how well the DEFT acquitted itself. The white fence is absolutely perfect for beam shots. BTW the DEFT vs the M1X made me chuckle a little. Thanks for the variety of lights you used.

Now I just need to get my hands on some of the new EZ900 XR-Es. I was hoping my last order would have them but no.

Lux he has an R2 WH. The small lens is standard on all lights now and his is no exception.

To everyone patiently waiting for their lights to ship thanks for staying calm. I am waiting on cases to come to get the next group out. I have never ordered from this company before so did not know it would take them this long. The last place I ordered from would have them to my door in 3-4 days. Problem is they raised their prices quite a bit so I went looking elsewhere.

Great shots Windy.

One observation with regards to the DEFT brightness in these pictures. The spill light from the L35 and BB end up adding substantial gain to the overall brightness of the DEFT beam. Whenever beams overlap they work on the principle of addition boosting the lux of one or both beams. In this case the DEFT gets the boost. Obviously the DEFT doesn't boost the other HID hot spots since its beam is narrow and the output is low.

There are a few different ways around the worst effects of the overlap principle, such as shooting at longer range as Lux Luthor did in his shootout thread, which shows a good comparison between the BB and the DEFT. Still, your shots are great and taking daytime pics was quite clever.

(posted courtesy of Lux Luthor)

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    Great shots Windy.

One observation with regards to the DEFT brightness in these pictures. The spill light from the L35 and BB end up adding substantial gain to the overall brightness of the DEFT beam.

I thought of that too. I would not go so far as to say substantial gains though. I saw these all in person and the pictures look very representative of what I saw in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    Great shots Windy.

One observation with regards to the DEFT brightness in these pictures. The spill light from the L35 and BB end up adding substantial gain to the overall brightness of the DEFT beam. Whenever beams overlap they work on the principle of addition boosting the lux of one or both beams. In this case the DEFT gets the boost. Obviously the DEFT doesn't boost the other HID hot spots since its beam is narrow and the output is low.

There are a few different ways around the worst effects of the overlap principle, such as shooting at longer range as Lux Luthor did in his shootout thread, which shows a good comparison between the BB and the DEFT. Still, your shots are great and taking daytime pics was quite clever.
    I hear what your saying, but when I moved the DEFT beam farther away from the others, it appears even brighter because it was surrounded by more blackness "since the DEFT has no spill at that distance".

When you put the beams together, it should become even more obvious which is brightest as the brightest will tend to "washout" the weaker and overwhelm it making it less notable.
    The Deft has such a defined border its easy to see the difference.

The DEFT is perfectly even across its whole area it lights.

The pics that Lux too was against a multicolored multitextured background making it difficult to determine which was reflecting better due to brighter or lighter colors and the texture absorbed light without reflecting it straight back.

Thats why my test was designed purely as a means to determine "surface brightness" against a perfect evenly colored and textured background.

Once the brighter is determined based on that, then one can shine it into trees or other multi textured/colored backgrounds and in those cases you get what you get.

Many of you guys have at least 35W HID's or even 50W HID's, just do the test yourself and see what your eyes say.

We met at this DFW shootout and as we shined into the distance "approx 500 - 700 yards or so" into the trees, it was easy to see the DEFT had the same results we saw on the white fence as this time of year the trees are all green and even colored.

I can't remember if Lux did timed exposures but if so, brighter lights will amplify exponentially over time as compared to the dimmer lights.
    Last edited by windstrings; 10-08-2009 at 08:37 PM.

Just want to update everyone. As you know I am waiting on a shipment of cases so I can send out these lights. I e-mailed the company I bought them from today since they should have been here at the end of last week at the very latest and the response was "There are only 5 pieces in stock for the PELICAN - Pelican PELICAN PROTECTOR CASE 1150 W/ FOAM BLACK The order is pending till further advised. ". Not too happy about that as there supposedly was enough in stock when ordered. Depending on their response to my last e-mail I may have to cancel and order from someone else. Sorry for the delay folks.

Just want to update everyone. As you know I am waiting on a shipment of cases so I can send out these lights. I e-mailed the company I bought them from today since they should have been here at the end of last week at the very latest and the response was "There are only 5 pieces in stock for the PELICAN - Pelican PELICAN PROTECTOR CASE 1150 W/ FOAM BLACK The order is pending till further advised. ". Not too happy about that as there supposedly was enough in stock when ordered. Depending on their response to my last e-mail I may have to cancel and order from someone else. Sorry for the delay folks.
    If you need one in a pinch, the Bass Pro up in Grapevine has the black and yellow #1150.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 36789101112131415 LastLast