E2e Bezel Mod...

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Just trying to get some input as to what would be considered the best method for detaching the lens/LA ring on the SF E2e bezel. I did a search and found this thread, but wanted to know if there were any other options available.

So far, I find Slick's version of the toaster oven to loosen the epoxy to be the easiest/safest, but I've yet to try it pending anyone else's input.

Thanks for any responses...

-Jim

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
The retainer ring on both of my E bezels just came off after cold water exposure. It looks like the adheisive turned into powder. Goodluck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

lightbulb

Newly Enlightened
Id be careful with the toaster oven trick as the heat tends to bubble to reflector material like foil.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Soft jaw or taped over jaws in vise holds hex of bezel. It doesn't have to be real tight. Ruber strap wrench on bezel cap. Heat isn't necesary in many cases.

- Don

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Of the 6-bezels I cracked opened (maybe a bad term) last night and the 4 I've done prior, not one of them required heat. A simple strap wrench on the cap side, while holding the hex side with your other hand allowed them to unscrew easily.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Thank you for all the responses fellas... I never thought about using a strap wrench /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

I gave it a try a few minutes ago and with a little muscle put into it, it worked like a charm.

I was considering going the route of modding an E1e bezel that will soon arrive (I'm assuming it's the same bezel as the E2e) and grinding down the protrusion on the backside of the reflector to allow for a Badboy 500 sandwich drop-in. With Don's (McGizmo's) response in this thread, I'm reminded of his recent offering of a modded E1e with a Cyan luxeon BB500. I should've bought it... damn damn damn...

As you can guess by now, I'm trying my hand at doing the same. Shoot, maybe I'll just ask Don if he can do this mod for hire... I'm sure his handywork far exceeds my own fading shop skills.

Thanks again and I'm off to do some tooling around...

-Jim