cables, what do you use?

kombiman

Newly Enlightened
pondering my ideas on bikelites, helmet mounted and 18650 packs in my hydropack. Podering cable, connectors and switches and what others have done to resolve their solution?

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
my favorite cable is off cell phone chargers
2 core, very flexible, lightweight and only 3mm dia.
connectors? deans connectors and a bit of heatshrink, a hard to beat combo

kuksul08

Enlightened
This seems to work well for me

camelbakandhelmetfrontcornerMedium.jpg

rearcornerwithcordMedium.jpg

deansconnectorMedium.jpg

It is a little stiff cable, that's all. But now I am using a 90 degree cable, and soon will have a new IP rated connectors by Switchcraft (Micro Con-X)

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=CP-2186-ND

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsouWBhk9GE3fGb26/iN9RM3XrP8tY5fVI=

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsouWBhk9GE3bdExxnN8AnHd2NGc4zeZcM=

It looks promising. 1/4 turn locking, fully water proof. Rated for many amps.

Last edited:

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Cables / wires: I bought about 6ft of 18 AWG speaker wires from my local electronics shop but I prefer the slightly thicker and stiffer 16 AWG wires that I recently purchased since the more flexible ones tend to flop around between my hydration pack and my helmet.

Connectors: I have the big Deans and have used DC connectors. Similar to Hendo, I like the Deans for their tight fit and I am looking to build some new battery packs with Deans to match my existing pre-built packs. But, DC connectors are really easy to solder together and heat shrink. Oh, and a little bit of the Plastidip on the cables themselves adds another level of stiffness, abrasion protection and also water-proofing.

Switches: I haven't installed my own switches yet but the ones I have on my lights are either buttons or toggles. I prefer the button switches since the toggles can either snag or break. For my next project with a buddy of mine, we are building either a triple R2 or MCE / R2 (not sure yet) so I'm looking at trying to get the ones with LED's built inside - I'll try to find the link.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Those always look good. There's a bunch available from Digikey and Mouser, as well as a bunch of other places.
Thanks LukeA, I noticed kuksul08 also mentioned the site... I usually buy local since it's less hassle but I did have a couple of other sites bookmarked - only problem is that shipping to Can is sometimes an arm and a leg or we get hit with duties which then makes a $5 part into a $30 part. :shakehead Never purchased from Mouser but they offer free shipping even to Can :party: so I'll have to check it out.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
RGB_LED try looking on digi-key.ca as they ship from Canada.
Sorry to hijack the thread... Thanks for the head's up POH, all this time, I was buying connectors and wires from Active Surplus and then internet shops overseas and I never even came across Digi-key. :ohgeez:

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
when they arrive be sure to post pics so we can see the size in real life situation!

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a little stiff cable, that's all. But now I am using a 90 degree cable, and soon will have a new IP rated connectors by Switchcraft (Micro Con-X)

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=CP-2186-ND

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsouWBhk9GE3fGb26/iN9RM3XrP8tY5fVI=

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsouWBhk9GE3bdExxnN8AnHd2NGc4zeZcM=

It looks promising. 1/4 turn locking, fully water proof. Rated for many amps.

Do those need pins? And how does the cable seal with back end of the free-hanging connector?

kuksul08

Enlightened
when they arrive be sure to post pics so we can see the size in real life situation!

Do those need pins? And how does the cable seal with back end of the free-hanging connector?

Alright here are some pictures. It is nice and small, but the solder cups are too small for 18Ga wire to fit in, and also they get pretty close to touching with the bigger wire too. 20Ga is about the biggest you would want to use.

They fit together nicely and you can definitely feel it lock together with about 1/4 turn, but they are just plastic bosses which will weaken after probably 200 or so connections.

Once the wires are soldered onto the cable end, the stepped down rubber thing slides over the joint and fits snugly in there, then the back piece slides on and locks. If I had round cable, this would be 100% water tight, but as you can see in my pictures above, they my cable flat so I'd have to put some silicone as well. It's tight though, that's for sure.

Overall I like it, and will use it, but I think I still like my right angle barrel power connector and standard 5.5/2.5 jack, for price and simplicity sake.

IMG_2472Medium.jpg

IMG_2473Medium.jpg

IMG_2474Medium.jpg

IWANTBLUE

Newly Enlightened
do any of you guys use the twist connect or rather threaded collar connectors at all (coaxial stylee) but with loose rotating collar to connect firmly rather than snap fit? my ebay/dx light is fine and good solid connectors, but especiallywith cold hands its real hard to keep a grip of the connectors and I risk using the cables to pull them apart, so
A) I'd like to have spare connectors ready if I do pull them off inadvertently
&
B) I'd like to have some for potentially shortening the existing cables
&
C) I'd like to have some for potential mods anyway :)

Cheers if you can help a Newb out