Genuine Pit BBQ?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Anyone appreciate "Genuine Pit BBQ"?

Different areas of the country have their own spices:

Kansas City area - a tomato based sauce & dip with a variety of flavors - I like a "little" sweetness with "some" spice..but not too sweet.

North Carolina area - a vinegar based baste & dip that adds it's own compliment to fine meats.

Of course all this meat has to be slooooow smoked & cooked to get that tender end product that has the smoked flavor imparted throughout the meat, not just on the outside 1/4" or so...

I did a lot of research after experimenting with the standard "Little Chief" type smokers and bought a "Cookshack Smokette":

smketpct.gif

This produces genuine "Pit BBQ" foods that I can't even put into words...absolutely some of the best flavored brisket and pork loin I've ever tasted!! Braindead cooking, small amount of wood, put the meat in, close the door, set the temp, walk away and return in the specified time - "EXCELLENT"!!

Poke around their website & forum (they run UBB also!)for some great recipes & tips on this delicacy!! YES - THE COOKER COSTS QUITE A BIT MORE THAN A "LITTLE CHIEF", but the quality cannot be compared!! Well worth the investment...GREAT for family/friend gatherings (they can't believe one could cook food this good at home!)...That's what we're doing Monday (2 HUGE porkloin roasts...gonna feed an army! CAN'T WAIT!

2dogs

Enlightened
Dang you Sigman. A BBQ forum! I didn't know this exists. Here goes the rest of my free time.

I've seen old pics of pit BBQ where the pit must have been 20' long and full of meat. I think it was in Western Horseman magazine. I'll see if I can locate it.

This site has a great article on cooking. The article is long and is written in English instead of American, but I highly recommend it. If you know someone who can't cook send them here too.
http://www.combat-online.com/cook.htm

Tomas

Banned
One of my absolute favorite places to grab a meal while I was stationed at Carswell AFB near Ft. Worth was Leslie's Pit Barbecue out on Jacksboro Highway. Nice place, wonderful food.

Of course since that was *mumble35* years ago, I doubt it still exists. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

tomsig03.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Oh great..now I'm like 2dogs...more BBQ Forums...

I try different things, but it seems I keep coming back to the brisket and pork loins...one could probably smoke cardboard and it would taste good, but make no mistake there's a difference between "Genuine Pit BBQ" and merely smoke flavoring foods! (But I love em' all!!!)

Thanks for the other sites!

Tomas - yep..traveling with Uncle Sam brought me to a lot of great food establishments! Wish I had the patience, time, know-how, and money to build one of my own...lots of work though! I'll cook at home!

Raven

Enlightened
Texas has the best BBQ in the world. We also have the best ice cream (blue bell).

Raven

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was stuck in South Carolina for four years without any good BBQ. They use a mustard based sause. Every time I went out of state, I gourged on tomato based BBQ.
Here in Alabama, there are some good places to eat. I prefer my BBQ pork to be "pulled" instead of sliced or diced.

Hey Raven, Blue Bell is also in Alabama.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I beg to differ. Down-east North Carolina "Q" cooked over hickory coals in a converted 55 gal. drum with slaw, hushpuppies, and brew is the only way to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

AlphaTea

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Raven said:
Texas has the best BBQ in the world. We also have the best ice cream (blue bell).

Raven

[/ QUOTE ]
Being ex-Navy and a military brat I have been all over the USA and the world. I have these observations about BBQ:
1)Texas Pit style BBQ done with mesquite wood IMHO is the best without question.
2)My family is from L.A. (lower Alabama) and yes, the best pulled pork BBQ is from that area.
3)Carolina BBQ sauce is most excellent too. I guess it all depends on the mood.
4)BBQ is NOT a yankee thing. I currently live in NY state. These folks take roast beef, put it in a bun and pour some el-cheapo sauce on it and call that the best BBQ in the world. Get a clue NY!
5)Mongolian BBQ is still only Chineese food.
6)BBQ monkey looks like small children an a spit. Tastes the same too.
7)My best BBQ is:
a)Filet Mignon from Omaha Steaks marinated in Montreal seasoning cooked in my Webber grill with Kingsford charcoal (NO Gas Grill for me!) using mesquite chips soaked for 1/2 hour.
b)Boston Butt on same grill setup slooow cooked with Dinosaur BBQ Wango-Tango sauce.
c)Half chicken same grill setup, marinated in Chavalla's chicken marinade.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
No need to differ. AFAIR, North Carolina uses a red sause. Please don't tell me you use a yellow sause.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I live in pork BBQ country but beef BBQ blows it away.

Best BBQ restaurant: County Line, They are in Austin, San Antonio and maybe Dallas and Houston. The beef ribs are like nothing I have ever seen. Served family style.

If you want to taste great Texas BBQ get an on-line order shipped from these guys,
Blacks BBQ Order the combo of links and brisket. $75

I grew up traveling 30 miles to eat at this little joint. Drinks came in a bottle, no plates or silverware. Meal is served on butcher paper with a hand full of saltines.

This restaurant has been in the Black family since 1932. It is the oldest family owned BBQ restaurant in Texas.

My definition of the difference between BBQ and grilling on pork and beef is the smoke ring. If it's doesn't have a smoke ring you are grilling not BBQ'ing. This does not apply to sausage or chicken. You would never BBQ a steak unless you were making jerky. The term is often confused but they are completely different types of cooking. I still make the mistake myself when I tell my wife I am going to BBQ her a steak. On another grilling topic...Has anyone heard or used the term "Trailer Park Ribeye." I make them once or twice a week on my grill. I usually make 18 at a time. It is the only protein my son will eat. "Trailer Park Ribeye" is a slang term for grilling hamburger meat here in LA,(Lower Alabama). Pensacola, FL. is considered to be "LA" which is also referred to as the "Redneck Riviera."

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened
I am a big fan of NC BBQ. NC has at least three distinct types. Eastern is a viniger sauce, should not contain any tomato. Western is a tomato base and Lexington style is a blending of the two, mostly vinegar with some tomato added. A few joints near Charlotte serve South Carolina Mustard based stuff too. If your traveling through NC. Try Stamey's in Greensboro, Speedies in Lexington or Gary's in China Grove. A few of my favorites for Lexington style.
Patrick hayes

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out this site for lots of BBQ links (AND NO, BBQ Links is NOT A PORK SAUSAGE PRODUCT!

I tell you what, I made my first Brisket that did not totally suck, and believe it or not, I did it with a GAS GRILL!

OF course I used Misquite charcoal and wood pellets too, but slow cooking it, fat side UP, UNTRIMMED seems to be the secret!

Gas Grillers! Here is a secret that I do. I take a coal or two of Charcoal, and get it real hot on my inside gas stove, then place it in a handful of these WOOD PELLETS!

Good stuff!

ANOTHER GREAT RING of BBQ sites (Not just one, but a whole bunch!)

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Flying Turtle said:
I beg to differ. Down-east North Carolina "Q" cooked over hickory coals in a converted 55 gal. drum with slaw, hushpuppies, and brew is the only way to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Re: Genuine Pit BBQ?

Amen brother!!!! Lived in Warsaw (Duplin County) for ~20 some odd years and can vouch for that. For you non-Appalachian Americans it's called a "Pig-Pickin". An all day event.

OTOH, I live in Kansas City now and there are some good eats here too. Just no sweet tea or hushpuppies.

--Chris

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My Dad is part of a cookteam that competes 6-8 times a year at county fairs etc.

We often get a couple pounds of Brisket after one of their outings. They have finished a best of 3rd place since I have payed attention.

If THAT is what 3rd place (or more often 6+) tastes like, I'm pretty sure there ain't NOTHING better than Texas slow cooked brisket!

And sure, y'all might GET Bluebell over in Bama. But we get the fresh stuff!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Playboy,
Sorry to go off topic but...
I remember when Bluebell expanded and started selling Ice cream as far away as College Station (41 miles). I was living in College Station at the time, it was 1981 I believe. Cookies and Cream was the rave (still is I bet)

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
No more BBQ talk tonight - OK?

This morning at 11 am, I read this thread and went to one of my favorites (Colonel Hoggily Woggle's Tyler Texas BBQ) in Van Nuys and filled my face with pork ribs.

How am I going to maintain my svelte figure with topics like this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Marty

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Oh man...it's so good I hate it! First of all, you sort of remember what it tasted like last time, smelling it smoke/cook all day long...and then it's done!

Time to dig in...so you take a "little more than you should" for a first helping...then the flavor is soooo good, you go back for "just a little more"...was that seconds or thirds?

My stomach hurts, GREAT QUE, COLESLAW, BEANS...stuffed! Who has room for apple, cherry, & peach pie (with a scoop of ice cream on top!) Someone help me....(until tomorrow & I'll make some sandwiches for lunch at work!)