Weird battery problem with my camera.

aussiebob

Enlightened
My camera, Fuji s7000, takes 4aa. Im using eneloops and sometimes energizer lithiums.
However, when the low battery warning comes up after about 300-400 photos three of the cells read 1.3ish volts and the othe one 0 volts.

I took readings with eneloops on my maha charger.
Cell1= 987mah remaning
Cell2= 965mah remaining
Cell3= 979mah remaining
Cell4= 0mah remaining

So three of the four are still @ 50% capacity and the other is dead flat and the camera shuts off.
Id be getting twice the photos if it didnt do this.

Its always the same battery slot that discharges quicker, at first i thought it was a bad cell, but it is this damn slot, i cleaned all contacts ect, to no help.

Any ideas??

Cheers.

Last edited:

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know for certain but it sounds like they are using some current from the one cell slot. Perhaps it is used for something like standby memory power, so the drain on all slots is not the same.

aussiebob

Enlightened
I don't know for certain but it sounds like they are using some current from the one cell slot. Perhaps it is used for something like standby memory power, so the drain on all slots is not the same.
I was just thinking that, i will put in a fresh set of eneloops, not use the camera, let it sit for a week and discharge them on the maha too see.

Cheers.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you using the same cells? The 0v cell is likely ruined. You need to start with 4 cells that you know are all good and matched.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its always the same battery slot that discharges quicker, at first i thought it was a bad cell, but it is this damn slot, i cleaned all contacts ect, to no help.

Figuring that you are not Alone, i did a very fast search, and interesting the issues people are having.
http://www.fixya.com/search/p223253-fuji_finepix_s7000_digital_camera/battery_drain/page-4

they say there is a firmware upgrade, and it sounds (from what you said) that they are doing some cool tricks to get different powers without wasting power on multiple regulators?? i donno, but some of the weird stuff i have made i thought about doing the same things, taking power off at different locations of the battery pack , vrses loosing it regulating the many different voltages. after all you Are getting a lotta pics from a set of batteries, cant be all bad.

anyways there is other info there that MAY suggest that certian flash memory types used , are causing other issues? and the Company recommending ONE memory type, hmmm interesting. i bet you can find out what is going on. myself i would probably head to a "user forum" for the specific camera, and add your info to thier data, then get enough info to assume things that might have been done, then test them? like mabey they are using one of the batts to power the flash memory or something, Like AlanB said?

there is also an indication there that the camera WILL drain batteries left in it, i suppose the manuel (like all of them) says to not leave the batts in it when not used, mabey this time it really does make a big differance?

Last edited:

aussiebob

Enlightened
Are you using the same cells? The 0v cell is likely ruined. You need to start with 4 cells that you know are all good and matched.
Nah mate, at first i thought it was a faulty cell, but i tried a new set and lithium primaries, it is one particular AA slot in the camera thats draining faster than the others.
Cheers

Figuring that you are not Alone, i did a very fast search, and interesting the issues people are having.
http://www.fixya.com/search/p223253-fuji_finepix_s7000_digital_camera/battery_drain/page-4

they say there is a firmware upgrade, and it sounds (from what you said) that they are doing some cool tricks to get different powers without wasting power on multiple regulators?? i donno, but some of the weird stuff i have made i thought about doing the same things, taking power off at different locations of the battery pack , vrses loosing it regulating the many different voltages. after all you Are getting a lotta pics from a set of batteries, cant be all bad.

anyways there is other info there that MAY suggest that certian flash memory types used , are causing other issues? and the Company recommending ONE memory type, hmmm interesting. i bet you can find out what is going on. myself i would probably head to a "user forum" for the specific camera, and add your info to thier data, then get enough info to assume things that might have been done, then test them? like mabey they are using one of the batts to power the flash memory or something, Like AlanB said?
Thanks mate, yeah i think it is just using the one slot cell for standby power, for the day+date and what have you.
Im testing this theory now.
Cheers.

mdocod

Flashaholic
wow, that's a nice weird problem to have to contend with.

I agree that the camera probably taps that slot in the battery carrier for a device that needs lower voltage in order to cut down on component costs or something to this effect.

aussiebob

Enlightened
Ok,ok. I got to test my theory yestarday, we went to the reptile park, i took fresh charged and tested eneloops and loaded them when we got there. I took about 600 photos over the day and as soon as the low batt light came on i took them out. When i got home i put em on the maha, they were all around 350mah remaining.

Now a few days ago, i let a set of charged and tested eneloops sit in the camera while off. After 3 days heres the findings.
1.1989mah
2.1975mah
3.1992mah
4.1749mah

So it seems it only drains fatser when the camera is off. So from now on im gunna only load the camera when im gunna use it.

mdocod

Flashaholic
wow... can you imagine the effect this type of design has on the cost of replacing primary cells for the folks who go that route?

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
I have the fuji 9600s, and find the similar, so as you do now just leave the batts out till needed.
Mine will flatten down to less than 50mah 4 ansmann 2600mah that are fully charged in two weeks.
tabetha

aussiebob

Enlightened
wow... can you imagine the effect this type of design has on the cost of replacing primary cells for the folks who go that route?
I agree.

Nah mate, i only had a XD card in it, dont use a compact flash.

I have the fuji 9600s, and find the similar, so as you do now just leave the batts out till needed.
Mine will flatten down to less than 50mah 4 ansmann 2600mah that are fully charged in two weeks.
tabetha
Thats probably the self discharge of your batteries (non LSD), all non lsd batts will discharge in very short time.
Its something in my camera taking current from just the one cell when its turned off. The other three are fine.
If yours are going in two flat in two weeks get some LSD cells like eneloops ect.